Buying players in 09.... WOW!

the money that clubs want for their players is insane...

Roma wanted 47 mil for Danielle De Rossi

AC Milan turned Down 80 mil for Kaka

Barca turned down 45 mil for Yaya Toure

Lyon want 76 mil for Benzema

Marseille want 79 mil for Hatem Ben Arfa

has anybody any suggestion as to how i might get clubs to be a bit more reasonable cos this is driving me nuts?

ps i'm playing as Arsenal

If you owned any of those players... how much would you ask for them? Or rather: would you even consider selling them?

Well, at least they're setting a price, and not pressing the "reject" button as you would do, aren't they?

I don't see anything unrealistic in there.

BTW: Milan rejected 104M € from Real Madrid for Kaká 2 summers ago.

The clubs mentioned simply don't want to sell their star players on the cheap. It seems perfectly realistic to me.

Got to agree. If they dont want to sell their player they will demand outrageous sums for them. I'm the same if a club comes trying to buy a player i dont want to sell.

As far as I know, OL president (Aulas) said that Benzema wouldn't leave the club for less than 60M €

About Yaya, it just depends. If Barça consider him to have no substitute, they might just not be willing to sell him unless you give them such an stupid amount of money that they can sign a player who is, at least, just as good. And still, trying to sell a player and sign a replacement for him is always a risk... you never know how well he will adapt. In other words, the question is not if they would take that money for him... the question is: how would they replace him, and for how much money?

As I said, wouldn't you just reject any offer that came in for any of your players, unless:

a) You don't mind selling him

b) You're offered a stupid amount of money

You surely would.

Well, they've set the stupid amount of money for you... up to you to decide if you need him that much. Surely, he's one of the best DM's in the world and is a first team player in one of the Top-5 teams in the world... a tough choice.

well milan wanted 83mil for pato after i offered 40. then i negotiated to 68mil. this seems normal for one of the best young strikers in the world as milan would never sell him unless it was ridiculous prices like that. and the negotiating works.

Well, I think the transfer system has really improved in this version.

Agreed, the top players are still pricy and can sometimes require hefty fines. However, it seems that unsettling players really works this time around. When you succeed in unsettling players the selling clubs sometimes realize that they don't really have a choice and sell their star players at a far more reasonable prize.

First season as Barcelona I wanted to sign Huntelaar from Ajax. They wanted something like 40 million euros. After unsettling Huntelaar by declaring my interest, I got the price down to about 20 million euros, which seems far more realistic.

I did pay way too much for one player in that same save. In the second season I signed Cristiano Ronaldo (just had to have both Messi and Ronaldo in attack :) ). Man Utd didn't want to sell at first (duh), but after declaring interest a few times and praising his skills Cristiano became unsettled. Still cost 80 million euros (!!), but he was a great signing nevertheless and has been my top performer in his two first seasons. Shame he broke his leg soon after I signed him though, but like I said, he recovered well.

I also signed Camacho and Capel in that same save, both for about 17,5 million euros. Both were also breaking in to the Spain squad, first team regulars and still at their original clubs.

And slightly off-topic: Selling players is definitely easier than before, in my experience so far. Still have to try LLM management in this version BTW.

Playing at a lower level (League One with Huddersfield Town), but I've found that making use of additional clauses can make a big impact.

Especially if you're playing as a big club, try making use of the "Arrange friendly" option. I've used that a couple of times... All you have to do is accept an offer of a friendly from the club you're buying the player from before a particular deadline (usually will result in your playing a friendly against them before the start of the following season).

If you're at a lower level and have a chance of promotion try using the clause for an extra payment after promotion.

Used both to drastically reduce the price being asked for players.

no it's not realistic because not only do they want stupid money for their players but they will pay stupid money for other players as well. Look around the forums there are all sorts of stories of selling players such as Gareth Bale for an amount that would break the world record! It is just getting dumb.

I offered 40m, 50% of future profit, a friendly, and a goalkeeper Lyon were interested in for Hugo Lloris, and I was STILL rejected!

Btw, I offered the future profit because I didn't expect him to ever be sold, at least not under me, and even if he were, not for more than 40m.

Look, I play with Roma and I wouldn't sell De Rossi for 47. I don't think there is a price that I would sell him for. He is as untouchable as it gets for Roma. But it was weird when I enquirered about Rosina(Torino) who was valued at 7 that asked for 39 but I countered at 13 and they took it.

Being a Barcelona fan, every new version that's released, the first team i manage is Barca, cause i'm so used to them, it's an easy way to find out how the game has improved.

But Yaya Toure, i put him up for transfer, and the biggest offer i got was 4mill...

I sold Gudjonson for 8mill....he's only valued at 2.2....

I can't remember what Toure is actually valued at, but if i can get roughly 6mill profit from an age-ing player, surely i can make a good profit from Toure.

People need to stop seeing these sums as an honest answer. That isn't really what those clubs want for those players. They don't want to sell them at all so they're quoting you silly prices to scare you off. However, if you actually decided to meet their demands, they probably would sell.

has anybody any suggestion as to how i might get clubs to be a bit more reasonable cos this is driving me nuts?

i totally agree if someone came in for a bid for fabregas u would turn them down immediately. it is one of the most realistic factors to the game

Sounds about right to me, Im Cardiff City in my first season, Man City came in with a bid of £8mil for Joe Ledley, which to me is a mega offer for the lad however I turn't it down. Same reason AC Milan, Roma etc don't want to sell their players even for a huge sum as they simply don't wish to sell their best players.

I think that the huge prices are quite realistic.

Lets look at 2 examples:

1) A team has the best player in the world in a particular position, such as Kaka in your list at the top. They know they won't be able to find anybody as good so their attitude is, if other teams want him that badly they will have to pay through the nose to get him, so they then charge a huge price as they don't want to sell him.

2) An average team has a good player, not a great player but a good player. They may still demand a huge transfer fee as they know that he is one of their best players and that if he left they would struggle to attract anybody of his calibre to the club, thus they charge a huge fee because they don't want the player to leave as they would struggle to replace him.

Look at reality as well, Man Utd saying they would reject offers of £75million + for Cristiano Ronaldo because he is a key player and they won't find anybody of his standard if they sold him.

I personally think that the game is more realistic in terms of transfers than any of the previous ones.

What's wrong with that... I asked for £100 million for Lewin Nyatanga!

In my experience teams are willing to sell players at different times for different prices, in 2008 at least.

As Barcelona in season 2 I tried to sign Ronaldo, Man Unt wanted 120 million pounds, NO CHANCE

Got him 1 year later for 80 million.

If you really want a specific player, it pays to be patient.

When you're talking about players of the caliber of Benzema, Kaka, etc., and so on, the prices are so high because there is no one available to replace them. Kaka is not worth 80 mil. (or whatever). It's the fact that he's irreplaceable that's worth 80 mil.

If you're playing Milan and you sell Kaka, who are you going to get to replace him? No one. Of course, you might use the money to replace him with the next best thing, and then sign someone else to improve a different position, but the point is if the team's decided that he's the best in the world (or near it) at the position, it seems realistic to me he could go for astronomical prices.

i totally agree if someone came in for a bid for fabregas u would turn them down immediately. it is one of the most realistic factors to the game

Fabregas is rated at 34m in my game, I'm trying to sell him off for 100m. Best so far I have got for him is 10m up front and 14m within 24 months. CLubs are wanting him but no decent offers yet

the real issue with the transfer system is that the AI are still ******** when it comes to buying players and a lot of selling feels like effectively cheating and it's ruining my gaming experience :( (to try and scare off buyers i set 60m for bentley and modric, and offers came back with 40 and 45m respectively...ludicrous. end of the first season with spurs. 30m from setting a 40m tag on jenas. set 60m and got 54m for hamsik both at the start of the game. how can i deny that? but at the same time it's ludicrous to play with accepting it)

all the big teams ie. barca, man utd, chelsea, real, arsenal are still susceptible to this. man city though are of course, the worst offenders of all.

i managed to sign messi from barca for £43.5 million in season two he had a buy out clause for that amount but it took a big wage off 140k a week i was man united

and i got silva season after for £35 million after unsettling him so can get big names for acceptable prices just not easy

I had a regen named Robin Jansen in FM08. I tried to get him from Juve, offering £50M.

The wanted £110M + A regen they had offered £45M for a week ago.

So they effectively wanted £155M. Can anyone top that for crazy demands?

So? The thread is about FM09, which has had the tranfer system rebuilt from the ground up. That would seem to imply that SI knew '08 had it's problems, and decided to deal with them. And from what I've seen, they've done a "decent" (as FM seems to define the word) job.

OTOH, if all you're doing is highlighting the difference, than fair play to ya.

I like how teams ask for silly money for their star players. It's entirely realistic. When teams come in for my players, I ask for silly money too.

Man City are good comedy value though with their new-found wealth. So far I've shifted Obafemi Martins (£13m release clause), Michael Owen (£30m even though he was 29 and only had 6 months of his contract left) and Jonas Guttierez (A whopping £50m!) onto them. It's helped my restructuring plans no end! Every transfer window so far they've been throwing money round like there's no tomorrow.

Seems to be working for them though, they're 3rd in the league in March 2011 after finishing 4th and 5th the previous 2 years.

Humorously enough though their aggressive player recruitment unsettled Robinho, he demanded to go on the transfer list and I snapped him up for £15m. :D

In 09 the prices change. My scout said thea benzema would be at leas 62 m.€. A couple months after it was 28m.€. So i bought him for about 32 (1.5 now, and the rest over 24 months). The same goes for the other players. At one point they would accept offer for aguero of 42 mil€, awhile after they wont accept 52 mil. €

I think the key is patience. If you go in for a player when they're happy and the club want them, you'll get knocked back. But from experience you can get some bargains if you hang on a season or 2.

I've signed Oscar Ustari for £4.8m, I signed Robinho for £15m and Nicklas Bendtner has been offered to me just now for £3.4m. All good, young players and at bargain prices.

However to look at the other end of the scale, I was forced to sell Fabricio Coloccini due to him demanding a move in the January transfer window and the sale only went through on January 29th.

I desperately needed a replacement and threw offers round for anyone with any talent whatsoever and they were all rejected out of hand. Eventually I settled on Stephane Mbia, but had to pay a jaw-dropping £18.25m. Sure, he's a good player but I've been robbed and rightly so given how long was left in the window and that his club didn't want to sell. I was desperate, and they seemed to know it. :(

Archived