Source's Liverpool FC Career Blog

Okay, so I'm new here so I'd like to say hi to everyone (waves). I have read alot of the other tactics I have seen on here, but thought I'd share those of my own to anyone interested.

I have always had alot of success in the Football Manager/Old Champ Manager games so thought I'd start a blog detailing my tactics, revisions made and progress during my first season as Liverpool managericon_wink.gif

My aim is to try things other people on here wouldn't neccesarily (noticed the 442 and 433 tactics are the most widely used) and offer a different insight into tactics in the game.

The one thing I will say is that this is an experiment, it might not work as I expect, but I guess I'll only see by playing the game.

6 Aug 05

I have been busy in the transfer market shipping out and bringing in.

Out:-

Finnan 700k

Kirkland 1.5m

Gonzalez 7.5m

Sinama-Pongolle 3.8m

Diao 600k

Kromkamp 4.5m

Fowler 800k

Crouch 3.3m

Woodward Free

Barragan Free

In:-

Phillip Lahm 3.6m

Darren Pratley 1.2m

Vincent Kompany 5.25m

Ledley King 13m

Anthony Grant 1.3m

Anthony Vanden Borre 1.2m

Season so far:-

I have played 4 competative matches and won all 4, scoring 9 and conceding only 1. However these matches were the ECC qualifiers and don't expect any real competition until the Premiership kicks off proper.

I have decided to play a 4-1-3-2 formation for home matches and a 3-5-2 Defensive formation for away matches/potentially difficult matches.

I will go into specific details on settings in a later post to keep this as short as possible, although I will say I have decided to play to the strengths of my players and have a very solid IMO spine to my team..... Still maybe needs a few improvements thoughicon_wink.gif

First Choice 11

4-1-3-2 Home Formation

Reina

Riise

Vanden Borre

Carragher

King

Alonso

Kewell

Sissoko

Gerrard

Morientes

Cisse

3-5-2 Defensive Away Formation

Reina

Carragher

Hyypia

King

Sissoko

Alonso

Riise

Vanden Borre

Gerrard

Morientes

Cisse

Wish me luck, I may need it icon_wink.gif

Okay, so I'm new here so I'd like to say hi to everyone (waves). I have read alot of the other tactics I have seen on here, but thought I'd share those of my own to anyone interested.

I have always had alot of success in the Football Manager/Old Champ Manager games so thought I'd start a blog detailing my tactics, revisions made and progress during my first season as Liverpool managericon_wink.gif

My aim is to try things other people on here wouldn't neccesarily (noticed the 442 and 433 tactics are the most widely used) and offer a different insight into tactics in the game.

The one thing I will say is that this is an experiment, it might not work as I expect, but I guess I'll only see by playing the game.

6 Aug 05

I have been busy in the transfer market shipping out and bringing in.

Out:-

Finnan 700k

Kirkland 1.5m

Gonzalez 7.5m

Sinama-Pongolle 3.8m

Diao 600k

Kromkamp 4.5m

Fowler 800k

Crouch 3.3m

Woodward Free

Barragan Free

In:-

Phillip Lahm 3.6m

Darren Pratley 1.2m

Vincent Kompany 5.25m

Ledley King 13m

Anthony Grant 1.3m

Anthony Vanden Borre 1.2m

Season so far:-

I have played 4 competative matches and won all 4, scoring 9 and conceding only 1. However these matches were the ECC qualifiers and don't expect any real competition until the Premiership kicks off proper.

I have decided to play a 4-1-3-2 formation for home matches and a 3-5-2 Defensive formation for away matches/potentially difficult matches.

I will go into specific details on settings in a later post to keep this as short as possible, although I will say I have decided to play to the strengths of my players and have a very solid IMO spine to my team..... Still maybe needs a few improvements thoughicon_wink.gif

First Choice 11

4-1-3-2 Home Formation

Reina

Riise

Vanden Borre

Carragher

King

Alonso

Kewell

Sissoko

Gerrard

Morientes

Cisse

3-5-2 Defensive Away Formation

Reina

Carragher

Hyypia

King

Sissoko

Alonso

Riise

Vanden Borre

Gerrard

Morientes

Cisse

Wish me luck, I may need it icon_wink.gif

I have a defender called Eduardo Ratinho in my Liverpool squad, and he's got brilliant stats, mainly 16+, and he's not even 22 yet! (Right sided)

Also Darijo Srna is a very good (and versatile defender - D LR) and can be bought easily for about 5m, never gets less than a 7 and pops up with crucial goals. Signed him after he killed me in Europe!

Since my last post I have shaken things up quite considerably. Coming to the mid-point of the season things weren’t going quite as I would have liked using my previous formations. I was fifth in the League and out of the League Cup (however, I did storm my Champions League group which included Barcelona and won all six games comfortably). icon_wink.gif

I am now playing a 4-4-2 normal formation and will go into how I play it in a bit. Since switching to this tactic, I have only lost one game (to Newcastle in the FA cup, despite having countless more shots on target and possession) only drawn a couple and have won the rest. I have three games left until the end of the season, with two Premiership games left (I am now top of the league and 5 point clear) and the final of the Champions League.

Mid-Season Players Out:-

Fernando Morientes

Stephen Warnock

Bolo Zenden

Dietmar Hamann

Daniel Agger

Bruno Cheyrou

Sami Hyypia

Djimi Traore

Phillip Lahm (Always getting injured, do not buy him)

Harry Kewell

Kevin Nolan (Forgot to mention I had bought him in last post)

Jerzy Dudek

Mid-Season Players In:-

Mirko Vucinic

Alan Smith

Ryan Babel

Lebohang Mokoena

Gabriel Milito

Sherman Cardenas

Mark Bresciano

Liam Rosenior

Leo Franco

So far this season I have spent £66m on players and have sold £65m worth of players. Not a bad way to balance the books. icon_wink.gif

I would now consider my first team to be:- (preferred cover player marker after/)

GK – Franco/Reina

DL – Riise/Rosenior

DR – Vanden Borre/Rosenior

DC – Milito/King

DC – Kompany/Carragher

ML – Bresciano/Babel

MR – Garcia/Mokoena

MC – Alonso/Sissoko

MC – Gerrard/Pratley

FC – Cisse/Vucinic

FC – Smith/Babel

I'm gonna go and play the last three games now and let you know how I finished the season icon_cool.gif

Well, I lost the last game of the season to Portsmouth after fielding a weakened side in preparation for the Champions League final but still finished six points clear at the top:-

P W D L F A GD Pts

Liverpool 38 28 5 5 81 27 54 89

So I’m quite happy considering I had to pull it around at the mid-season point.

I also won the Champions League Final with a 4-1 result against Munchen.

Just have to see if next season I can do the same again and add the League Cup and FA Cup to the list icon_wink.gif

As promised, this is the formation and details that turned it around for me, any questions then please ask:-

This is my basic formation structure:-

Formation – 442 Normal

Emphasis – Normal

Passing – Short

Tacking – Hard

Pressing – Yes

Offside Trap – No

Counter Attack – No

Men Behind Ball – No

Passing Tackling Pressing Forward Runs

GK Team Normal No No

DL Team Hard Yes Yes

DR Team Hard Yes Yes

DC Team Hard No No

DC Team Hard No No

ML Team Normal Yes Yes

MR Team Normal Yes Yes

MC Team Hard Yes Yes

MC Team Hard Yes Yes

FC Direct Normal Yes No

FC Team Normal Yes Yes

Run With Ball Long Shots Cross Ball Marking

GK No No No None

DL Yes No Yes Zonal

DR Yes No Yes Zonal

DC No No No Man

DC No No No Man

ML Yes No Yes Man

MR Yes Yes Yes Man

MC Yes Yes No Man

MC Yes Yes No Man

FC No No No Zonal

FC Yes No No None

Pass to – All set to ‘R/L/C’

All set pieces are as standard

Free Roll – All set to ‘No’

Hold Up Ball – All set to ‘No’

Through Ball – All set to ‘No’

Any player that has 15+ for Tacking, beside the players already set to it, I set Tackling to ‘Hard’ I make sure that every player in my defence and central midfield have 15+ tackling where possible.

If the wingers or full backs that are selected don’t have 15+ crossing, I turn ‘Cross Ball’ to ‘No’.

I use the above formation when playing against 442.

When playing against 451 I set all defenders to ‘Zonal’ marking but leave everything else the same.

When playing against 433 I set all defenders and midfielders to ‘Zonal’ marking and leave everything else the same.

The second I go a goal behind, I switch emphasis to ‘Attacking’ in my team instructions, but leave everything else the same.

Good luck guys

icon_cool.gif

Archived