How can a 23 year old player play for U21?

There are rules that allow this. I forget what they are. Something to do with when the player's birthday is. I also think you're allowed a certain amount of players over 21, but I could be wrong on that. Someone else will know better than me. Be assured this isn't a bug, though.

Has anyone been playing as an U21 manager in FM09? There were a few issues with it in 08, players over 21 couldn't be picked and when Taylor was over 21 and I couldn't pick him the team got annoyed because I had taken the captaincy off him even though it was out of my hands.

Welcome to the Youth Team Mike, we are far superior.

Yeh it all depends on when the players birthday falls, in the last u21 champs Reo Coker was 23 whilst they were on but as he was 21 when the qualifiers were being played he was eligible, its the same this year, sylvan ebanks-blake can play although when they come round he will be 23, purely because when the 1st qualifier was played he was 21.

• 6 years later...

How on earth can players aged 27 be called to play for the U21 squad? This is obviously a bug, yes? This is exactly what I am getting when playing Liverpool - players who are 27 and over being called to play for the U21s???

How on earth can players aged 27 be called to play for the U21 squad? This is obviously a bug, yes? This is exactly what I am getting when playing Liverpool - players who are 27 and over being called to play for the U21s???

If you are referring to the OP, you do realise this thread is 6 years old don't you?!? :confused:

6 years ago the above posters confirmed the rules for the UEFA under 21 tournaments. If you are talking about club football in FM15, then you can play up to 3 over 21 outfield players and a goalkeeper in the English under 21 games as it is in real life, and as explained in the rules tab of the competition.

Archived