3 things that are spoiling my enjoyment of FM09

1. the amount of injuries to my squad. its beyond a joke!

2. the amount of long shots attempted by my team during a match. its not realistic. ive told them 'rarely' but they dont listen.

3. my strikers alarming lack of goals and poor match ratings. ive tried every s*dding tactic to cure this and ive given up!

i just want to pick my 11 best players (or sign some decent ones), pick a normal tactic, beat teams and enjoy this game! is that too much to ask?

i cant be arsed tweeking my tactics here and there. what happened to the feel good factor this game used to give me?

2. the amount of long shots attempted by my team during a match. its not realistic. ive told them 'rarely' but they dont listen.

3. my strikers alarming lack of goals and poor match ratings. ive tried every s*dding tactic to cure this and ive given up!

i just want to pick my 11 best players (or sign some decent ones), pick a normal tactic, beat teams and enjoy this game! is that too much to ask?

i cant be arsed tweeking my tactics here and there. what happened to the feel good factor this game used to give me?

injuries - have you added patch?

Only think stopping me playing FM09 is FML

Injuries are far from perfect as can been easily seen by observing the woes of the AI. The human manager can take remedial action to workaround the flaw, but the AI can't, with the result that the game is stupidly easy.

There are far too many injuries in matches, and not enough in training. That is an undisputable fact if you take the human manager out the equation altogether.

couldnt agree more i havent got time to **** around with tactics that much i just want click and play and that just isnt this game!

1. I have had near zero this season

2. My side normally takes the ball down the flanks in behind the opposition and the crosses are where much of the joy has been had... Still have a lot though, hardly unrealistic though.

3. Oh nooooo! You're strikers aren't in form and you're playing merry-go-tactics... I wonder what the problem ever could be!

I might just tell you here and now how I get my strikers to perform and infact, the entire squad: Consistancy! Constantly changing your tactics is a tad like constantly bringing new players in, it unsettles the squad and style of play. I rarely ever change how I play about from a bit longer passes on a rainy day or dropping a midfielder deep on a trip to the Emirates. Strikers also come in and out of form. One of my strikers started terribly, then banged in 5 in 4 before only getting 1 in 10. It happens in real life to. Or another example is a young-un' of mine playing poorly for 10 matches, then I gave him his 3rd start and he banged in 4!

If I were you, I'd look to have several different kinds of strikers too.

-Target Man - Think Crouch

-Finisher - Think Scott McDonald

-Pacey Striker - Think Gabriel Abonglahor

Depending on the opposition you can then choose who's needed. But remember to keep the tactics and the selection as consistant as possible. If you lose a match, don't just chuck out your last tactic, keep faith and you'll get what you want.

well if u dont want to mess around with tactics so much, play fifa 09 and set the game to visual sim, problem solved!

Thats a bit harsh on the OP. The fact that he is sticking with the game in spite of struggling/having difficulty with tactics means that he wants to play this game and not fifa 09. There are some of us who were moderately successful with the game in fm 08. And there are some of us who struggled last time around. SI listened to those who mastered the tactics brilliantly...making their strikers to score insane amount of goals..and immediately tweaked the match engine..reducing the effectiveness of the strikers..

For those who are struggling to understand what exactly the sliders do or how to manipulate them...they are finding their strikers missing easy chances and scoring very less number of goals (this is true even for world class strikers). So their frustrations with the game are valid. After all FM is marketed as a football management simulation <B>game</B> and not football management simulation. And games are meant to be enjoyed...not used to rise out blood pressure cursing another miss :D

And introducing a fifa style difficulty option will defeat the very soul of the game. And in my view..one of the better solution to the difficulty level will mean clubbing two games into one..one where the game can be enjoyed by casual gamers and another where the game is tweaked to be as realistic as possible.

Yeah... I did have a 64 goal in 60 game striker in FM 2008...

My good ol' 3-4-1-2 Formation and awesome regens destroyed the rest of the world...

Not doing too badly right now though. 2nd place in the Premier League in my 3rd season for Derby. In fact, a 2 goal win will put me top right here and now in december, and van der Vaart is joining in a couple of weeks.

1. I have had near zero this season

2. My side normally takes the ball down the flanks in behind the opposition and the crosses are where much of the joy has been had... Still have a lot though, hardly unrealistic though.

3. Oh nooooo! You're strikers aren't in form and you're playing merry-go-tactics... I wonder what the problem ever could be!

I might just tell you here and now how I get my strikers to perform and infact, the entire squad: Consistancy! Constantly changing your tactics is a tad like constantly bringing new players in, it unsettles the squad and style of play. I rarely ever change how I play about from a bit longer passes on a rainy day or dropping a midfielder deep on a trip to the Emirates. Strikers also come in and out of form. One of my strikers started terribly, then banged in 5 in 4 before only getting 1 in 10. It happens in real life to. Or another example is a young-un' of mine playing poorly for 10 matches, then I gave him his 3rd start and he banged in 4!

If I were you, I'd look to have several different kinds of strikers too.

-Target Man - Think Crouch

-Finisher - Think Scott McDonald

-Pacey Striker - Think Gabriel Abonglahor

Depending on the opposition you can then choose who's needed. But remember to keep the tactics and the selection as consistant as possible. If you lose a match, don't just chuck out your last tactic, keep faith and you'll get what you want.

as much as i appreciate the advice and constructive criticism my friend, i will just inform you that ive been playing champ man/FM since its first outing on the amiga. im also an avid football fan whos knowledge on players and tactics verges on the anal.

ive been playing FM09 since its release as many different clubs, trying to stick to basics with consistant tactics but to no avail.

im a great believer in brian cloughs philosophy about football whereas he said that its a simple game and you just pick your best 11 players in that position and not worry about the opposition.

i dont give a toss about tinkering with tactics. i just want my strikers to score more goals than my long shooting midfielders and get ratings over 6.0. provided their not out injured of course.

I find high injuries to be quite challenging.

It allows me to blood youngsters and reserve players.

The only thing I agree with is the average ratings. They'll be on 5.8 or something, and you know they're playing better because at half time there's no option to tell them to, "go out and prove a point".

I'm all for realism regarding injuries but due to the level of injuries I'm unable to make any subs for tactical reasons. Every sub is used for replacing an injured player and on top of that I often finish the the last 10 mins with 10 men due to a fourth injury.

I'm all for realism regarding injuries but due to the level of injuries I'm unable to make any subs for tactical reasons. Every sub is used for replacing an injured player and on top of that I often finish the the last 10 mins with 10 men due to a fourth injury.

I have very few injuries in fourth season now with girondins. training too hard? try lowering you aerobic training 1-2 pegs. work for me.

also do rest player now and then.

I find with strikers that they are nerfed. and from what I read on bugs forum goallies will be nerfed. si seem to see nerfing as a fix without consider implications to rest of match engine sadly. :(

about hitting bar this is mistake from players - hit bar just make game more fun to watch. s.i. probably just made it so more shots that would have missed hit bar instead of just missing to make it more fun. this mistaken by player to be striker nerf or ai cheat. maybe not so ..

I didn't have a problem with injuries untill a couple of days ago. I loaded my game and since then all my strikers have been out injured.

Can training influence the amount of injuries sustained due to tackles from the other team? My players always get injured in a match, mostly due tackles from the opposition, what can training do to stop that?

I didn't have a problem with injuries untill a couple of days ago. I loaded my game and since then all my strikers have been out injured.

Can training influence the amount of injuries sustained due to tackles from the other team? My players always get injured in a match, mostly due tackles from the opposition, what can training do to stop that?

Less strenuous training I would think, so they do a bit less work, maybe some Strength work would help.

not a lot it seem. my amc got tackled 60 times in one recent game. every time knocked to floor. poor boy.

they got 3 men sent off!

:eek:

Less strenuous training I would think, so they do a bit less work, maybe some Strength work would help.

Yeah I'll try to change it.

My defenders never seem to get injured. It's the attacking players that get hammered by the opposition. I've had a lot of penalties too so maybe the opposition are just tackling my attackers very hard?

The number of injuries seems ok, it's the length of the injuries which is dodgy and needs looking at

The issues which are most annoying to me are:

-Strikers miss a few too many one on ones

-Far too many long shots

-Full backs not properly closing down and tackling

-Attacking players running towards the corner flag when they have the opportunity to run in to the penalty area

-Too many shots hitting the post/bar

-The striker rating issue

-The match screen not switching to a highlight after I've switched to another page

The number of injuries seems ok, it's the length of the injuries which is dodgy and needs looking at

-Far too many long shots

-Attacking players running towards the corner flag when they have the opportunity to run in to the penalty area

-The match screen not switching to a highlight after I've switched to another page

les smurf speaks! we are not worthy oh divinely inspired graphical one!

I grovel like a dog unfit to lick the spit from your boot after you kick me to the floor. yes.

-Far too many long shots

maybe its just me with the injuries then, but i totally agree with all your points raised. ive also got a few-

-defenders freezing when theyve lost the ball

-too many lunging tackles

-too many own goals

-too many goals scored by midfielders and not strikers

maybe its just me with the injuries then, but i totally agree with all your points raised. ive also got a few-

-defenders freezing when theyve lost the ball

-too many lunging tackles

-too many own goals

-too many goals scored by midfielders and not strikers

- players passing directly into their own team members backs

- players simply stopping with the ball at their feet or moving very very slow

- ai passing too accurate at lower levels of game

- ai shots on target too accurare at lower levels of the game

- stats such as dribbling, first touch and pace seem to be modified too high at lower levels

- not enough penalties given

- players staying down after being tackled or making a sliding tackle for 20 seconds or more

- 3d animations for players being stretchered off pitch missing

- too many uneccessary delays in non active 3d play. e.g bookings or throw ins etc

-my mates version that keeps crashing even though his laptop is brand new.

-steam. an absolute shambles. in SIs quest to fox the pirates they just p*ssed everybody off. what happened to good old fashioned sticking your disk in and pressing 'insall'?

-the pre/half time/post match team talks. after 3 years it remains the same and you cant say what you really feel.

-the 3D match engine. how much graphics does this souped up sensible soccer clone need? loads of PCs are struggling with these 'revolutionary' graphics.

-training. again nothing new and totally untouched.

-tactics. i dont even think real managers would go that in depth with their teams. in FMs quest to foil the killer tactic it cant even produce a normal one. i just want 4-4-2 with 11 good players. is that too much to ask?

Theres enough penaltys. I've had plenty and ive only done 6 months. One game i even gave away a pen then 1 min later i went down the other end and won a pen! Also had 2 pens in a game.

For me Grosso at Lyon has scored 9 goals lol and i'm only in Jan. Not a bug lol just boasting because its funny :D

-my mates version that keeps crashing even though his laptop is brand new.

-steam. an absolute shambles. in SIs quest to fox the pirates they just p*ssed everybody off. what happened to good old fashioned sticking your disk in and pressing 'insall'?

-the pre/half time/post match team talks. after 3 years it remains the same and you cant say what you really feel.

-the 3D match engine. how much graphics does this souped up sensible soccer clone need? loads of PCs are struggling with these 'revolutionary' graphics.

-training. again nothing new and totally untouched.

-tactics. i dont even think real managers would go that in depth with their teams. in FMs quest to foil the killer tactic it cant even produce a normal one. i just want 4-4-2 with 11 good players. is that too much to ask?

I agree the crashes are annoying but only happened a few times. I think unticking threading will stop these happening for now but don't know for definite!

I think activation would of been fine if the servers didn't get attacked.

I don't know if this will be improved for FM09 or not in patches but i expect it to be much better for FM10!

Training maybe could do with something but can you suggest anything better?

For the tactics have you read the TT&F guide by wwfan and millie? Its really good. I have a working 4-4-2 and its great :)

ive read the TT&F guide. yes great. very good. but when im leeds utd putting carlton cole and michael chopre upfront in league 1 and neither can hit a hippos arse with a cello then somethings wrong.

im sure the real life versions of these players would be embarressed at their less than mediocre displays in a division thats quite frankly beneath them.

In fairness the injuries are much less frequent on the patched version. As the tactics i'm s**t scared of changing a slider, never mind changing formation! I believe that there should be an ass man option to adjust individual player settings dependant on what you have chosen as your team settings.

Long range efforts are too frequent. Especially when my Walsall players do not have a good long shot between them :p.

But in saying all of this, it is the best Football Manager yet and providing SI can provide us with a good solid 2nd patch fixing all of the obvious errors then we could have the best manager game since LMA 2000! (Joke).

Archived