Why can't they score?

I have some good strikers who all have finishing above 15 so why do they miss every chance they get? and don't you say it's my tactics cuz it's not. I'm making loads of chances but none of my strikers can score them. It's so frustrating as other teams don't seem to have this problem scoring after 1 or 2 chances. While my strikers need at least 7 chances before they score. I'm now 17th after playing really well in most of the games but just cannot score. This has happened 2 seasons running now even though I've strengthened my Attack. WHY?

i empathise. i find that whoever i manage 1 striker - regardless of attributes - cant hit a barn door. every time i play them a highlight shows me creating a wonderful chance then the striker in question missing it, whilst the commentary says e.g. it was easier to score. hmmmm

i empathise. i find that whoever i manage 1 striker - regardless of attributes - cant hit a barn door. every time i play them a highlight shows me creating a wonderful chance then the striker in question missing it, whilst the commentary says e.g. it was easier to score. hmmmm

Yeah same for me but it's all 5 strikers!

I am playing with a Conference team with formation of 4-4-2 (self made) and my on loan striker is on a scoring spree for the past few matches. what i did was to watch the match in full detail, analyse and change my tactics and training with every passing game, and finally settled on a good home tactic which have my strikers scoring.

i am smoothing the edges of my away tactics now.

as in real life, my strikers do have pockets of barren spells, that's where my midfielders come in to provide continuity in the scoring department. What i realise is that, creating a tactic AND training that suits specifically to your team strengths collectively and individual strengths is very important.

the past series of FM will allow me to have one tactic that conquers all and having my strikers to score like a buffet spread. So much so i feel lesser joy in my strikers' goals.

Not this one. this latest installation of FM is so much closer to real life managing of a team. It's a thinking game.

I get upset at myself for my strikers failure to score, not at the ME. And when i get them to realise their full potential on pitch, i feel satisfaction. Cause i actually make the effort to find out what's wrong, what's working and what's not working.

My kind advice to you kind people, is to keep at it, stop blaming ME, get down and dirty with tactics & training, and when you've finally see your strikers click on red hot form, you'll get what i mean.

trust me, i was so tempted to blame the match engine, the silly movements, the blips, SI, the whole lot. but the heck, i bought the game to enjoy and enjoy i did.

Cheers

My leading striker from last season who had 20 league goals has failed to score in the league so far and we are 10 games in :(

Sounds like he's suffering from Robbie Keane syndrome although, to be fair, your striker does sound a lot better than him!

No it's not, honestly. I'm producing quality crosses and through balls and other types of chances but I can't seem to finish them off.

mate it is tatics, its all tatics. after i moved to spurs from rangers where i won everyting i couldnt do anything and it took me a full season and finishing 11th before i got it right.

I still aint sure if its right but I am 4th now. bare with and tweak until its right

mate it is tatics, its all tatics. after i moved to spurs from rangers where i won everyting i couldnt do anything and it took me a full season and finishing 11th before i got it right.

I still aint sure if its right but I am 4th now. bare with and tweak until its right

It isn't my tactics. Honestly. I'm playing really good stuff and play most teams off the park. Create loads of chances, passing is quick and tempo is qucik which is what I set it too. I just don't seem to be finishing these chances.

It isn't my tactics. Honestly. I'm playing really good stuff and play most teams off the park. Create loads of chances, passing is quick and tempo is qucik which is what I set it too. I just don't seem to be finishing these chances.

That's where training comes in. in training, up the 'Shooting' a few notches up and lay off the others a few notches down. If you want to go further, set a training specifically for your forwards and specifically to enhance your forwards finishing competency.

its a bug. no two ways about it. there is far too many people complaining about this problem for it to be a coincidence.

anyone who chelps on about wrong tactics are making excuses for it.

many people can't get their strikers to ever finish.

many people had their strikers finishing well too.

so which way should we go?

My striker scored 25 goals in 27 matches. I wouldnt call it bad! Just sucks that my players can never score 1v1 with the keeper while the cpu team always does... meanwhile i never conceded a direct free kick and scored over 15 :D

Pretty weird :|

My striker scored 25 goals in 27 matches. I wouldnt call it bad! Just sucks that my players can never score 1v1 with the keeper while the cpu team always does... meanwhile i never conceded a direct free kick and scored over 15 :D

Pretty weird :|

i wouldnt say it sucks that your striker can never score 1v1, id say its a bug that needs sorting out.

I've just finished my second season at Arsenal, and Adebayor has been in absolutely lethal form, scoring 54 goals in 53 matches!

He also beat Henry's league record for us :D

t_Adebayorseam_ea48b3a.jpg

Also, there was a good mixture of goals, a lot of headers admittadely, but then that's his main strength. He also got a good few on the floor, as well as some long range efforts.

All in all, i really do think it's about tactics.

I'm not trying to boast, just showing that it is possible to get a lot of goals out of your strikers :D

:thup:

My leading striker from last season who had 20 league goals has failed to score in the league so far and we are 10 games in :(

Same here. I couldn't get Drogba or Anelka to score at Chelsea. I picked up Huntelaar in January and he scored 15 in 17. Second season, same tactic and same supporting cast and he has 2 in 13. What gives?

lol it's our fault for buying the game and trying to enjoy it without searching through the whole forum and waiting for a moderator's post that would fix everything? You're kidding yourself. If that was so important, it should damn be in the actual manual, not in a forum post.

I think sometimes the engine gets confused. I have a front 5 (play 4132) of Torres And Aguero backed by Babel, Gerrard and Arshavin, who were all on fire, and then went on a run where none of them scored for over 900 minutes, and even Balotelli, their replacement went 600 minutes. After losing to a last minute goal to Chelsea after another game of 37 shots, with 2 on target, I crashed out of the game, and it went back about 2 months, about the time the rot started. I did nothing different, but they were scoring again. I did some testing with it, sometimes it seems as though the game gets stuck in a run beyond reality. I also had Arsenal win 23 games on the trot in the league, conceding something like 6 goals in that.

lol it's our fault for buying the game and trying to enjoy it without searching through the whole forum and waiting for a moderator's post that would fix everything? You're kidding yourself. If that was so important, it should damn be in the actual manual, not in a forum post.

Err.. that was my point. I guess I forget the "sledge hammer sarcasm" icon at the end.

Its because the match engine is abysmal simply.

It's really not, it's just a lot more difficult and realistic than previous years.

I'm doing fine at both top-flight and LLM with FM09. It is tactics at the end of the day.

TomHAVFC, where are your strikers actually going wrong? Not connecting onto crosses, too many long shots or what?

none of my strikers can score only my midfielders do my top scorer is my right winger cant remember his name cos ive stopped playing cos of this! all my strikers got ratings 6.50 - 6.70 ive still won all my games first in prem drawn one game chelsea away so its not my tactics! i think my top goal scoring striker is RVP with 3 goals! wat a load of rubbish. adebayor hasnt evan scored yet lol and plays rubbish

No, it is your tactics. You may be creating chances, but the quality of chances is most likely poor.

No, it's likely not. For my strikers, it's 17 one-on-one's on the trot missed. Through on goal, in the box, defenders undressed. Utter BS. At least 3 to 4 of those should have gone in.

I think there's a very minor tweak that needs to be given the match engine, as the striker ratings are munged up a bit too...

Many say it's tactics, but i still think it's not, i'm having the exact same problem, though my strikers do seem to hit quite some goals every season, but they usualy score the headers or some long-range shots.

They miss EVERY one on one opportunity possible, i can't even remember at least one they scored, and i have two top-class strikers for the level of championship in Vantaggiato and Lewandowski.

Yet though, i must admit they hit over 50 goals last year which got me into premier league, but probably close to none from one on one opportunities, that's why i think the match engine is broken on that aspect.

Guys you've probably read my problem as it's my thread :D but I want to tell you how you might be able to get rid of your problem and end up scoring. Go onto everyone of your strikers training overview and create a new training guide and then move the attacking and the shooting slider up to the end then put everyone of your strikers on this training course and see what happens. I did this and I can't stop scoring now. Hope this helps guys.

i have jermaine defoe with west ham and he went through my whole season 09/10 without scoring once! must have started at least 25 games in all comps and came on as sub in most of the rest. missed at least 5 chances per game. now u can talk all u want about tactics but we were creating clear cut one on one chances and the man could not hit a barn door. other strikers all banging them in (Ashton, Goitom and Altidore) fairly regular though so maybe the game just doesnt rate Defoe....starting season 3 now so will see how he goes, he'll be starting from the bench though!

The match engine is a load of crap, and this is the problem.

I've stopped playing until they bring out a new patch, cause to be honest at the moment i hate the game. I also wish i had waited a few days before paying £30 for a heap of s***, and spent it on something else.

doesnt rate ne of the strikers really does it. i like it dat goals come from the wings more cutting inside and the centre midfielders gettin more assists and scoring bit more ect dats better than 08 but they got the strikers all wrong im not saying change it bak 2 the way it used 2 b cos i didnt like dat engine at all tbh just make the strikers more realistic ! i hope they are changeing this as we speak

My strikers are scoring well enough. Had some trouble in the beginning of the season and didn't score at all, but I kept tweaking and working on the tactic and after awhile it started working. If they tweak the game to have the strikers score more I will probably be the one shouting it is unrealistic. Everyone of my players are on their own trainingschedual, that focus on their weakspots, don't think there are more than a couple of players on any of the scheduals. Finishing isn't everything for a striker they need other attributes aswell I have found.

its not realistic for a striker 2 get a rateing of 6.38 1 goal and 1 assist thats adebayor. the strikers NOT evan contributing 2 much of the play which is UNREALISTIC. Argh il work on it but it does need 2 b changed a bit. cos i c sum strikers doing ok il try different tactics bt i no mine r gd :/

I dont mind that my strikers dont score many goals, what makes me ****ed is that the AI's strikers never misses their chances and score a lot, while my strikers, which are FAR better, have MORE chances and score LESS than AI's...

Also i do have many goals, but only from my attacking midfielders, Ronaldinho, Kaká and Aguero (only when playing as AM) score a lot of goals and even assist each other.

For those who think it's a tactical problem!

Just compare at the end of the season the goalscoring of every team in your league with real stats and be amazed how much difference there is.

This isn't a player only problem but also for AI controlled teams and clearly not optimized yet.

I do hope that when it's patched it will also be fixed for saved games as I don't like to restart all over again.

Archived