Chasing players who's contracts are expiring - an annoyance

This isn't just an 09 thing, it's been around for several FMs at least, but it really annoys me.

I'm looking for players and I find someone I like the look of, who's contract is expiring at the end of the season. Scout say's he'd be interested in joining me, so I state that I'd like to sign him, and he responds by saying he'd love to join me. Now, because I'm an English club, I can't offer him a contract yet, I have to wait until a month before the end of his old one.

His club then offer him a new contract and he accepts. So, I think he's changed his mind about wanting to join me, and am a little disappointed, but nothing more. Out of curiosity though, I say I'm interested in signing him again. Once more, he says he'd love to join....

So I try buying him, and his club accepts the offer, then he leaps at the chance to join me. So why did he resign for his club when it was clear that I wanted to get him on a free?

I'm pretty sure it's a side effect of English clubs not being able to sign players on expiring contracts until very late, and hence the player thinks I'm not going to offer him one. And while this might be the case, IRL the team would just say to him (or his agent) something like "We can't legally offer you a contract yet, but we will as soon as we can", and the player would at least wait to see what the offer was.

Anyone else annoyed by this?

Archived