Jobs In Scotland STILL Not Sorted ! and Other Scottish Problems

One of the biggest problems I found in last years games was when managing in Scotland was that NO manager jobs came up for years which made the game in scotland so un-realistic ! well once again this year I am 4 years into my Hibs game and STILL NOT ONE JOB has come available. Aberdeen have been relagated, Hearts finished 11th and Rangers even finished 6th one year still no sackings or resignations.

This is one of the worst problems but there are so many of them when playin a Scottish game !

Transfer updates Hearts for example only have one of our new summer signings ( Even though the others are in the game )

they havent set the "your loan players cant play against you rule" in scotland just in england.

they dont move games for tv in scotland.

the fixtures - Rangers and Celtic are always at home at the same time as are hearts and hibs.

also some of the player values in scotland are shocking!

When you load up the english only database OR the english database with other top leagues and look at the Hearts squad you see Gary Glen one of the best young SCOTTISH players Hearts have developed in years.

Now, when you load the scottish ONLY database and look at Hearts - Gary glen is NOT at Hearts !!!

so a scottish player is at his club in other database but not the scottish one !

Striker Cillian Sheridan at celtic - he was on last years game but didnt get near the 1st team at celtic and yet this season when he is playing and scoring with celtic he is not on any datebase and yet another celtic young striker who ive never heard off or been in the 1st team IS in this years game .

Also I Have now noticed that

The Scottish Cup Final is on a WEDNESDAY !

The NON League sides STILL make it to the semi finals of the scottish cup

Have to say I found similar things in Scotland, I won back to back European Cups with Cowdenbeath, and waited patiently for the Celtic job to become available. Even with Fans protesting outside the ground they would not sack Strachan.

Eventually the Hibs job came available and I thought well I've won two European cups (and the European Championships with Scotland) surely they'll give me the job. Nope Craig Levein got it and there hasn't been another SPL job available since.

The non-league teams in the Scottish Cup final thing is funny Lochee Utd 5 Rangers 1 was one Scottish Cup Semi final I'll never forget. Also why would Celtic refuse to buy players?

After 6 seasons they had signed 1 player and that was a free transfer goalie when they had already sold Boruc, Brown and McGovern very wierd, their entire team was full of 15-17 years old kids and 37-40 year old current Celtic players.

This is a strange one because from my experience so far it is ONLY scotland where this is a problem. It's as if nothing has changed in the scottish game but every other league doesn't have a problem with jobs etc.

I started a game with Scotland as the main league and the english prem alongside it hoping that would make a difference and in the 4th season I won the spl with St Johnstone and Rangers ended up 4th, still no sacking for Walter Smith. I then played a season as rangers and deliberately didnt win the league and was sacked in January. It really makes the scottish game quite pointless to play and as i'm scottish that makes me sad :(

And the point about Rangers and Celtic not buying players is one that really gets to me. It means that winning the SPL is rediculously easy because after a few seasons Celtic and Rangers have really bad teams and they never try to sign my best players as would be realistic.

However, this is not a major issue to me as the rest of the game is pretty amazing but it would be nice to see these issues looked at for the next version.

• SI Staff

I apologise for any problems found in the game with the Scottish league. The jobs issue should have come up in testing at some point, but for some reason didn't - I'll make sure its rectified for the next version the problem is I most likely caused by the code which handles the 'split' in the scottish leagues and that is the reason why it only affects there.

With regards to other issues:

Transfer updates Hearts for example only have one of our new summer signings ( Even though the others are in the game )

Apologies for this - however its a research issue and possibly related to the lag involved in creating a console product (we have to submit our game to Sony FAR in advance of when the PC game goes off for manufacture - hence we may miss some later transfers which they can include).

You can however correct such things using the editor if they affect your enjoyment of the game.

they havent set the "your loan players cant play against you rule" in scotland just in england.

Will look into this for next version.

they dont move games for tv in scotland.

This only happens partially in England in FMH2009, this is purely because its not a fully implemented module and wasn't something which could be completed within the timeframe for FMH2009 release.

the fixtures - Rangers and Celtic are always at home at the same time as are hearts and hibs.

This is purely down to the processing power on the PSP, configuring fixtures in the game is very complex and we presently haven't come up with a way to exclude this sort of thing without causing a large delay in game processing on the PSP (for the same reason you'll see many London teams playing on the same day in England etc.).

also some of the player values in scotland are shocking!

As I've indicated in another Scottish thread I'm willing to take advise on tuning the player values in Scotland, feel free to email me their present values and what you believe they should be and I'm open to debate upon them.

(ditto with transfer budgets etc.)

When you load up the english only database OR the english database with other top leagues and look at the Hearts squad you see Gary Glen one of the best young SCOTTISH players Hearts have developed in years.

Now, when you load the scottish ONLY database and look at Hearts - Gary glen is NOT at Hearts !!!

The databases are generally tuned towards the 'main' league selected and as such you may find some players dropping out of the extra leagues which are active, where possible we have tried to ensure that the players dropped are minor - but the algorithms in this aren't perfect yet and we will try and improve these next year moving forward (as well as hopefully include more players overall in the databases).

If there have been any oversights such as this one I apologise and hope it doesn't affect your enjoyment of the game unduly. I believe there are several unofficial database updates available now and am confident that at least one of these will rectify the situation for you (if you don't wish to do the editing required yourself).

On the subject of player values I'd like to add something.

The values are often really low but whenever someone comes in with an offer for one of you stars you do get realistic offers. I think the values might reflect the fact that the player is on crappy wages but his rightful value is usually met in the sale from my experience.

This isn't just the scottish league, its that same in Australia and Belgium from what i've seen. To me its very realistic though because when Hearts sell a player we never get millions for them (Craig Gordon appart) and I reckon the value I have been able to sell players for works out about perfect.

• SI Staff
I think si concentrate on England, italy, Spain etc because they are the best in the world imo.

We try to get them all right as much as possible actually - I don't have a bias for or against any league and want the game to be as good as possible.

Archived