confidence in signings

How annoying to have a player that you have bought for the reserves, reflect badly on you. For example, I managed to sign Jack Wilshire from Arsenal for 5million, and because he was still in the reserves after a few months, he was seen as a bad signing.

Should this be reflected when you buy 'one for the future'?

If you are talking about 09, I find it better now. The fans aren't as bad as they were last year in terms of youth players. However, I believe that when you spend a lot on a youth player they expect some action from him, which is fairly reasonable I would say.

I agree. Once bought a top striker and he got injured in the 2nd friendly out of 3 mths. Every time the board would say that the fans think buying him was a waste or they were upset with his performances. He scored 3 goals in 1.5 games!!!!

09 is good but there are areas like this that need polishing up abit.

I'm glad this has been brought up, I've bought a bunch of 16/17/18 year-olds and they go down as bad signings because the fans are "disappointed that he has played so few games for the club."

I'm sure they won't feel the same in five or six years! But they can't seriously expect them to go into the team straight away. I think this needs to be addressed.

• 3 months later...

"I'm glad this has been brought up, I've bought a bunch of 16/17/18 year-olds and they go down as bad signings because the fans are "disappointed that he has played so few games for the club."

I'm sure they won't feel the same in five or six years! But they can't seriously expect them to go into the team straight away. I think this needs to be addressed."

I mean this is still a problem in 9.3.0

• Administrators

I agree that this is an issue with 'young players' - but in the instance you've stated, if you sign a player for £5m potential or not, if he's not playing in the first team and looking like a value player fans will get on your back because of the heavy expectation that comes with such a player.

Archived