Asking your opinion: Is it normal, cheat by AI, or a bug?

I was playing against Barcelona with Atletico Madrid. Early in the game, I conceeded a very annoying goal. After my defenders cleared Barca's corner, I saw that one of my players is left on the ground in my box, with the green cross sign. Obviously, this player is breaking the offside trap. Now, what are the options we can see when a situation like this happens real life?

1) The defending team (in this case, me) put the ball out for a throw. Now, I know that this no longer happens in UK, apart from head or serious-looking injuries. But everywhere else it is still a common practice. However, in this particular case Barca got the possession of the ball so the game went on.

2) Assuming the attacking team won't throw the ball out, my defenders and the referee should act accordingly. The players have to defend deep, so that in case an attacking player tries to make a run behind them, they can cover him. Or, more sensibly, the referee should stop the game because a defender lying in his own box is a big liability to the team.

But none happens, my idiotic defenders rush forward and stay there for a while, meanwhile Barca's players make a few passes, then two of their players run behind my defence and the ball is played through. Now, this is the critical part. I am pretty sure that when the ball was played, the only defender playing them onside was the injured one. Then, one shot the ball, keeper saved it, the other tapped it into the empty net. Ok, now what do you think?

I believe when a player is injured in his own area and breaking the offside trap, his team-mates should no longer try the offside trap. This seems like a bug to me. But I am not sure and that's why I did not open this thread in the Bugs Forum. What do you think?

The players are following your tactics, ideally they'd cover for the guy down but this would need common sense programmed into the game, I don't think it works like that. What should happen, is the ref should blow the whistle and stop the game.

The players are following your tactics, ideally they'd cover for the guy down but this would need common sense programmed into the game, I don't think it works like that. What should happen, is the ref should blow the whistle and stop the game.

Ok, then I feel cheated. Besides, if I had had the chance I would have interfered but even if I paused the game the moment I saw the injured player lying on the ground and changed the tactic, still the goal would have been scored before the change became effective, right?

There is something seriously wrong about that goal and I hope I won't concede a similar one again, it is really annoying :)

Yeah, I'd feel annoyed too about it. It's one of those things you need to put down as 'an experience' and move on :D It doesn't happen often enough to be much of a problem.

Might be worth reporting in the bugs forum though because IMO the game would be stopped.

But there are many, many instances where players do not follow your tactics, and we've been led to believe over the years that when this happens is because the player has 'decided' to ignore the instructions depending on how the game is panning-out, so there is an element of the AI 'thinking' (based on stats in part).

At least that was what I was told when my CBs would *never* stay back at my attacking corner (it was always a midfielder or full-back that would be on the halfway line, never my CB), despite being on Ultra-defensive and 'Always stay back' on their instructions. And *every* time this happened the opposition would break from the corner and have a shot themselves (sometimes scoring, sometimes not).

Archived