Starting Unemployed in FM2009

As has been mentioned, how many leagues do you have loaded, to what level and what is your past experience?

If you don't have a good reputation and only have a few jobs to compete for then it's going to take a while to get a job. If however there are more potential jobs you have a better chance of being given one (less competition). Likewise higher rep means you have a better chance because whilst there might be a lot of competition you can beat them.

The reputation of the league, or the teams in them, matters as well. It's going to be more difficult to get a job in the bigger leagues of England, Italy and Spain compared to Wales. N.Ireland and Sweden.

I use unemployed and automatic/Sunday League footballer past experience a lot and I've never had a real problem.

Looking outside Europe at the start could be fun, this is what happened to me:

Automatic experience with 19 leagues loaded.

Got the Iran national manager job when even league 1 clubs refused to hire me :)

Took Iran to quater final in World Cup and moved from 'unknown manager' to continental reputation; then got offered the Brazil national manager position :)

Sacked by Brazil FA after 1 loss and 1 draw in Copa America group stage :(

Got hired by 1860 Munic and reputation lowered from continental to 'national'. :(

Good thing is I can now speak Persian, Portugese and German.

Just have some patience and eventually a few jobs will show up. I'm currently running a save game started as Unemp... Some great opportunities and nice clubs laughed at me (f*** them) for showing interest, but around start December Levante offered me a deal. I gladly took the job as I figured offers would be scarce and Levante could prove a good stepping stone into Primera Division. Shortly after (within days) I got an offer from Hannover in the Bundesliga. It would've been a bit more exciting player- and economy wise, but since I'm such a reality-freak I couldn't just break my new contract. I'm good people :D

Hopefully we can succeed at the first stab, but with 13 points up to promotion it can get tough. Still 18 games to go though so hopes are up!

I love playing this way. It's much more satisfying to fight a little and work your way to glory. (I know I know you can go a lot lower than Levante but... Meh)

• 1 month later...

I started unemployed. You really need all the lower tiers loaded if you start on auto experience or you will struggle. I only got offers from Swedish 2nd div and english Blue Square N/S teams from about the 15 different countries I have loaded. Really enjoying the Swedish lower leagues by the way.

I know this has been comprehensively answered, but I figured out the problem: it's to do with the settings for applying for jobs. You can't set it to "Lower League clubs" because that actually means clubs lower than your current one, which is none because you don't have a club. You have to set it to one of the other options.

Looking outside Europe at the start could be fun, this is what happened to me:

Automatic experience with 19 leagues loaded.

Got the Iran national manager job when even league 1 clubs refused to hire me :)

Took Iran to quater final in World Cup and moved from 'unknown manager' to continental reputation; then got offered the Brazil national manager position :)

Sacked by Brazil FA after 1 loss and 1 draw in Copa America group stage :(

Got hired by 1860 Munic and reputation lowered from continental to 'national'. :(

Good thing is I can now speak Persian, Portugese and German.

WOW The Brazil FA dont mess around do they.

At that rate they will get through managers quicker than Spurs in real life

Archived