I Have A Little Dilemma

I have a little dilemma about the potential ability of players. I understand that if a player has a potential ability of -10 then he would have a potential ability in-between 170-200 or whatever it is. but odes this mean that his potential ability is a fixed number between 170-200 or can it change as the game goes on, like it can decrease or increase but always stays in the 170-200 range?

this is really confusing me so could someone please comment icon_confused.gif

I have a little dilemma about the potential ability of players. I understand that if a player has a potential ability of -10 then he would have a potential ability in-between 170-200 or whatever it is. but odes this mean that his potential ability is a fixed number between 170-200 or can it change as the game goes on, like it can decrease or increase but always stays in the 170-200 range?

this is really confusing me so could someone please comment icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

it will change depending on certain exteral influences iirc, coaches training, injury, tutoring ect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only time P/A EVER changes, is if the player has a long term injury. And even then, sometimes it doesn't change.

So, it will be fixed throughout his career.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

At the start of the game, he will be assigned a PA between 170-200 and stick with it throughout. ie. 189 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's it. The PA is fixed, only the CA varies throughout the game...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jedclough:

I know I'm going to ghet shot down for being self righteous for this but why don't you try playing the game without finding all this out first. It's a hell of a lot more rewarding </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing in this thread will spoil his gaming experience. He's only found out whether PA changes or not.

If someone is asking about PA and whether it changes I would imagine they have a player in mind and are deciding whether to buy him or not. I'm not saying it is spoiling his experience of the game, just suggesting that finding out through instinct is more rewarding.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jedclough:

I know I'm going to ghet shot down for being self righteous for this but why don't you try playing the game without finding all this out first. It's a hell of a lot more rewarding </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You wouldn't find this info out by playing the game, as it's a hidden attribute.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You wouldn't find this info out by playing the game, as it's a hidden attribute. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you are using a 3rd party tool like miniscout.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

You wouldn't find this info out by playing the game, as it's a hidden attribute. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh but come on, stop being pedantic. It's clear that if someone is asking about CA/PA, then there is a very good chance they are using FMM or something.

And THAT is where jedclough's post was aimed at. It's tantamount to cheating, and cannot be anywhere near as rewarding as discovering players off your own instinct...is what he meant!

You wouldn't find this info out by playing the game, as it's a hidden attribute. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly, and my personal belief is that it should stay that way. Again, I just think it is more rewarding to make judgements on players without being privy to that knowledge. Remember - My opinion

If someone is asking about PA and whether it changes I would imagine they have a player in mind and are deciding whether to buy him or not. I'm not saying it is spoiling his experience of the game, just suggesting that finding out through instinct is more rewarding. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But he doesn't say that anywhere. He paid his money, let him play how he wants.

All that the original post suggests is that the poster has discovered that there is such a thing as potential ability and that he has probably looked in the pre-game official editor at some players PAs and that he wants to know how this translates to the actual game once it gets going.

That he has specific players in mind, that he is using third party programs, that he wants to cheat, that he is the devil incarnate is pure suposition by people jumping to conclusions by reading between the lines instead of the lines themselves :-|

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

All that the original post suggests is that the poster has discovered that there is such a thing as potential ability and that he has probably looked in the pre-game official editor at some players PAs and that he wants to know how this translates to the actual game once it gets going.

That he has specific players in mind, that he is using third party programs, that he wants to cheat, that he is the devil incarnate is pure suposition by people jumping to conclusions by reading between the lines instead of the lines themselves :-| </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look who's reading between the lines!!! You've made assumptions based on what you read, just the same as we have! Your use of the word 'probably' suggests you don't know the real reason, but you are 'reading between the lines'. As for claiming that he is the devil incarnate, you are 'reading between the lines' of what we have written. I have suggested that he play the game without look at hidden attributes for a more rewarding experience. You have 'read between the lines' that we consider him a lesser player or even evil for cheating. maybe you shouldn't 'read between the lines' too much Glamdring

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

That he has specific players in mind, that he is using third party programs, that he wants to cheat, that he is the devil incarnate is pure suposition by people jumping to conclusions by reading between the lines instead of the lines themselves :-| </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look who's reading between the lines!!! You've made assumptions based on what you read, just the same as we have! Your use of the word 'probably' suggests you don't know the real reason, but you are 'reading between the lines'. As for claiming that he is the devil incarnate, you are 'reading between the lines' of what we have written. I have suggested that he play the game without look at hidden attributes for a more rewarding experience. You have 'read between the lines' that we consider him a lesser player or even evil for cheating. maybe you shouldn't 'read between the lines' too much Glamdring </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I can read;

a) there is a GOOD chance that he is using a game editor. Not 100% certain, so probably 50/50 chance.

b) jedclough was simply saying he should play it without the use of game editors to have a more rewarding and pure game. Yes like all of us, he was left to assume, but he didn't come across as 'god you evil git, you're such a cheating git, stop cheating' ... just simply giving some advice

c) none of us really know, and of course it is his game, and he can do what he wants, and cheat if he wants, but that shouldn't stop people ADVISING him not to, if they wish.

No one called the police and claimed the guy killed his family.

Look who's reading between the lines!!! You've made assumptions based on what you read, just the same as we have! Your use of the word 'probably' suggests you don't know the real reason, but you are 'reading between the lines'. As for claiming that he is the devil incarnate, you are 'reading between the lines' of what we have written. I have suggested that he play the game without look at hidden attributes for a more rewarding experience. You have 'read between the lines' that we consider him a lesser player or even evil for cheating. maybe you shouldn't 'read between the lines' too much Glamdring </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

You just demonstrated the point perfectly. Obviously I read between the lines too in my analysis. That is the whole point - for all the relevance your original point had to what the poster asked, you may as well have started your own new thread to tell everyone in the forum that it is more rewarding to play without looking at hidden attributes since it applies equally to everyone.

I happen to agree, I never look at players' PAs, I was just amused by the way assumptions were tumbling on assumptions regarding the motives of original poster (and as an aside, any forum user is is so lazy as to use the appalling abbreviation OP deserves to be burnt at the stake instantly). My reply was supposed to be not a totally serious one and demonstrated my point!

icon_biggrin.gif

You just demonstrated the point perfectly. Obviously I read between the lines too in my analysis. That is the whole point - for all the relevance your original point had to what the poster asked, you may as well have started your own new thread to tell everyone in the forum that it is more rewarding to play without looking at hidden attributes since it applies equally to everyone.

I happen to agree, I never look at players' PAs, I was just amused by the way assumptions were tumbling on assumptions regarding the motives of original poster (and as an aside, any forum user is is so lazy as to use the appalling abbreviation OP deserves to be burnt at the stake instantly). My reply was supposed to be not a totally serious one and demonstrated my point! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just an aside point though...

There are actually 3 things the original poster could be doing; 1) he just heard about CA/PA and was enquiring about it, 2) he is using the pre-game editor to check them, or, 3) he is using something like FMM to check them.

Therefore, it was a safe assumption, two-thirds of the possibilities, that he was, in affect, cheating. So it was fairly safe assumption for jedclough to make, and to suggest he doesn't use them.

Of course, if it turned out to be the 1-in-3 chance that he was just enquiring about it, then jedclough could have apologised...but his point would still stand, and he was right to assume on the chances.

Ummmmmm hi me again, i would just like to say that i've been playing football manager and championship manager since 01/02 and have not used any 3rd party tools to cheat, i simply asked the question because i was reading a thread on potential ability, thats all.

So what's all the fuss about?!?!?!?!? icon_confused.gif

Well, it's a choice between having a non-serious squabble (although I always find it more fun to let the reader try to work out for themselves whether I am being totally serious or not icon_razz.gif) or working non-stop so I like to take a break from my work to come here and squabble instead!

As far as making assumptions that the original poster is cheating because 2 of the 3 possibilities (I'm sure we could find more than 3 if we tried hard, but we'll let that pass icon_wink.gif ), it all depends whether you prefer to think the best of someone or the worst of someone I guess.

Innocent until proven guilty and all that...not that the guilty aspect here is infact anything more than a storm in a teacup anyway.

Btw, LSF07, regarding your 3rd option - he was asking about the -10 aspect of PAs therefore as far as I'm aware they only exist in a pre-game editor because they become actual PAs as soon as a game starts. Also, seeing PAs in the pre-game editor and asking about them is hardly cheating.

I have used the pre-game editor on occasion to add in extra towns in teh vicinity of a club to had some more richness and variety to the potential birth places of regens coming through at the club. In doing that I often come across players and their PAs. I generally ignore them, but still, it would hardly be cheating to notice a -10 and wonder what on earth it means.

And yes, I'm deliberately stretching out a pointless argument in order to delay returning to my work icon_razz.gif It is occasionally interesting to delve into the assumptions, pre-conceptions and all that kind of stuff that people (including myself obviously) make when reading someone's words though. It is impossible to read even one sentance without various possible assumptions leaping into your (my) head, let alone a whole post.

lol I didn't see it as a squabble, glamdring has replied to my posts before and I respect him/you a lot as a poster.

I'm just one of those people, I am studying for a law degree, so I get into the technicalities of things far too much lol. Not meant to be an arguement or squabble.

Just felt that I could see why jedclough would make that assumption, he had evidence behind him to make it. An assumption doesn't mean he is right, it's a guess, and with a guess, you either just have to go for it without thinking, or add up the variables and choose the most likely.

My point was simply, I can see why the variables would add up for him to assume the guy MAY be cheating. And therefore I found what he said okay, but others had a go at him for it. No big deal.

AND, as I don't use either editors, I have actually been proven to be wrong as I didn't know about the -10 being in the pre-game editor only, so that showed me lol.

As you were...

Archived