Development of future stars

I know it is still early days and people are trying to get use to the game, i was just wondering whether anyone had figured the best way forward with developing youngsters?

Generally i think there are two options in this case:

1. Send player out on loan

2. Use training and reserves/odd first team action

i have always used option two, purely because ive found that they dont benefit from my training schedules and they dont improve as players, even with the guarantee of 30+ games a year.

With FM09, has this changed? Im currently playing as Boca Juniors and i have some awesome talents coming through, but i want to make sure they are going to hit their potential.

Some suggestions/best practises would be great :thup:

I always give my young talents at least 10 games a season, just in the easier games. When playing at a lower league club I actually tend to rely on players that are 16-19 because I find they tend to play well consistantly and with adequate training they improve sufficiently enough for them to become first team regulars in the long term, which saves money...

Sending players out on loan in my opinion is only good for gaining a work permit because a lot of the clubs that want my players on loan often play in a sub standard league with poor training facilities. Fair enough, if you can loan them to clubs in the same division as you....

This is probably the area of the game im never sure i get right. If you look at real life scenario's, the top teams will blood their youngsters in different ways. Arsene Wenger uses his kids in the Carling Cup, whereas Alex Ferguson likes to send his kids out on loan around the age of 19-20 to gain experience (beckham, frazier campbell).

I guess it is just pot luck, not all golden prospects will make it.

• Administrators

Yeah you have to be wary that you will eventually have to blood the youth for them to get 'proper' experience when you could quite easily bring in a better more experienced player.

I've tried to bring in youth for my Newcastle team and think I tried too many at once as we struggled. I've now got a experienced CM to hold the team more together as well as an experienced GK and on a whole results have been improving. I always sign too many good youth players mind and because of this some never get near their full potential as they get crowded out :(

These are the rules I tend to follow:

Only loan players to teams with good or excellent training facilities

Only loan players that are going to play in the first team not as back up

I select them in the Carling Cup against lesser teams

I may occasionally put them on the subs bench and use them if I'm cruising to an easy victory

Hope this helps

It can also be very worthwile to let your youngsters be tutored. Not only can you influence the mental stats and personality of the youngsters, but a succesfull "tutoring" seems to give the youngsters a boost in their (current) ability.

These are the rules I tend to follow:

Only loan players to teams with good or excellent training facilities

Only loan players that are going to play in the first team not as back up

I select them in the Carling Cup against lesser teams

I may occasionally put them on the subs bench and use them if I'm cruising to an easy victory

Hope this helps

Even if the training facilities are bad, they develop if they get matches.

Archived