Players Retiring!

Right i'm a bit annoyed really! 4 players who would improve my team greatly have just retired!

Nir Mantsur, Felix Kroos, Andy Barcham and Kieran Mckenna

None of them would come to me but then they retire, surely they should come to me instead of retiring this is what I don't get, they are all under 25, just seems a bit silly. You would get the odd player doing this in FM08 but 4 in one season is stupid! As i'm Oxford United and now going into League one they may have wanted to come now but who knows as they are retired now.

Has this happened in any of your games? Surely they shouldn't retire at silly ages if they are on your shortlist and you only bid for them 11months ago! Very annoyed!

They retire because they can't find clubs, but they can't find clubs because their standards are too high...

It seems a little odd to me. It happens occasionally, but more often than not, a player will reluctantly drop down a few divisions - after all, they enjoy playing football! It happens IRL where internationals like Ian Cox (35) end up at lower league teams like Maidstone United.

And we (Gillingham) had a decent left back called Roland Edge when we were in what's now League One a few years ago. He ended up at Hibs I think, and then completely dropped off the radar, playing for Folkestone and now Maidstone United. Players, more often than not, will accept a drop down when they're under a certain age to maintain football.

With older players it's more random. You're unlikely to see Wayne Rooney slumming it the lower divisions aged 35, and we certainly never saw Shearer, Cantona or Zidane in the lower leagues. But then you have players like Andrew Cole who will drop divisions.

Yeah It happens with alot of youngsters of Championship teams I know at Watford it happened alot, Jason Norville, Scott Fitzgerald, Paulo Vernazza amongst others. Also just had Tom Heaton retire, if these had all joined my team I would be flying into the Championship with ease.

As I say it happened on FM08 but not to this extent and not players who were decent! Wayne Drummond would always retire but then he was useless, but these are players who could all play at Championship level and Mantsur and Kroos possibly the potential to make it at Premiership Level. Just had a fresh batch of players on my shortlist leave their clubs, Delfouneso, Welbeck, Boa Morte and a couple of -9 PA youngsters, and they have loads of interest other than mine like the other players do but I wonder if they end up retiring, would be a joke if they do!

They retire because they can't find clubs, but they can't find clubs because their standards are too high...

Yup and it's REALLY annoying.

I'm offering some random promising 18-20 year olds £750 a week to play football, and they won't accept and then retire.

I know why the game does this, but it's still annoying and unrealistic.

They don't join you if they don't think they can get good experience unfortunatly. Its like signing any youngster, if he thinks he's better than the club then he won't accept and wait. I remember on 08 i found an amazing norweigan regen player, was 18 and was promising but he would not sign for my Rushden and Diamonds team when i was in League 1. Eventually he was snapped up by Liverpool, never made it into the first team and rotted away. Now naturally it would have been much smarter to join my team what with the great youngsters i'd shipped off to bigger clubs for cash already. One of which was in the german national team at 19 but nooooo.

Was dissapointed but i moved on lol.

It seems a little odd to me. It happens occasionally, but more often than not, a player will reluctantly drop down a few divisions - after all, they enjoy playing football! It happens IRL where internationals like Ian Cox (35) end up at lower league teams like Maidstone United.

And we (Gillingham) had a decent left back called Roland Edge when we were in what's now League One a few years ago. He ended up at Hibs I think, and then completely dropped off the radar, playing for Folkestone and now Maidstone United. Players, more often than not, will accept a drop down when they're under a certain age to maintain football.

With older players it's more random. You're unlikely to see Wayne Rooney slumming it the lower divisions aged 35, and we certainly never saw Shearer, Cantona or Zidane in the lower leagues. But then you have players like Andrew Cole who will drop divisions.

roland edge was a great player in 2007 football manager in the lower leagues lol was solid right up to the championship for me now thats brought back memories

It's realistic, in Ireland at least. Players won't be arsed playing low down or semi-pro, they'll go get themselves a 'proper' job.

That's not what this thread is about though. Players retiring in these examples are turning down professional contracts on wages way more than they could ever earn doing a 'proper job'. You'd hardly make a living on a semi-pro contract in Ireland I imagine so in this case a player retiring instead of moving down is realistic. The examples cited above are not.

It seems that more or less every young player released by clubs at the end of each season retire a few months in to the new season, with no interest in signing them whatsoever, whereas IRL you would see a fair few joining league 2/conference level teams and working their way back up. It seems on my current game, in the second season, Manchester United released a fair few of their younger players, most decent league 1/2 players, and every single one of them retired except Danny Simpson and Danny Wellbeck. With my Hull City team, every single young player I've released has retired (3 seasons in by the way), just wouldn't happen realistically.

Archived