Where to copy files?

I have steam and the FM2009 game working on my main PC.

I have a second PC in my bedroom and wish to install the game on it.

The download estimate is 13 hours and during this time my wife cannot use her laptop for her E-Bay business.

I contacted steam and they told me to copy the 'steamapps' files to a USB Flash (which I have) and then copy the files to the other PC.

Could someone tell me WHERE do I copy the files to?

Please!

Thank You.

the Technical issues section should be able to answer this. i ususally try it here first though sometimes quicker

Yes, thanks mate. It's not really 'technical' it's just that I have steam on my other computer and very naively thought I could just install steam and click on to my account but somebody has determined that it is not going to be that easy.

I have copied the file to the steam folder and it is showing there no problems (1.6GB of it) but it will not start for love nor money. Each PC tells me that my account has been "accessed on another computer" steam so it recognises the account but will not register the download as being installed. I found today that I cannot even bring steam up on my other computer so I tried uninstalling steam and reinstalling it only to find that I cannot get on to the steam site at all.

I will probably buy a boxed copy and activate it with the other system as waiting 2 - 3 days for steam to reply to a question is a bit too much.

You would think in this day and age and the time SI have had developing the game that it would be running like well oiled machinery by now.

You copy them to the same location as per the first computer.. so...

1) Copy steamapps files to USB Drive

2) install steam on 2nd computer

3) Copy from USB drive into the steam folder on second computer, I think it's something like C:\program files\steam\steamapps\ ... I can't check now, at work.

Hope that helps

EDIT: If you have the DVD, simply install using that, otherwise if purchased over steam then do as per above.

You should be able to open steam on your second computer (assuming your first computer is LOGGED OFF from steam), FM2009 should be in the game list and if the files were copied OK it should be fine.

You copy them to the same location as per the first computer.. so...

1) Copy steamapps files to USB Drive

2) install steam on 2nd computer

3) Copy from USB drive into the steam folder on second computer, I think it's something like C:\program files\steam\steamapps\ ... I can't check now, at work.

Hope that helps

EDIT: If you have the DVD, simply install using that, otherwise if purchased over steam then do as per above.

You should be able to open steam on your second computer (assuming your first computer is LOGGED OFF from steam), FM2009 should be in the game list and if the files were copied OK it should be fine.

Originally I did this but when steam came up I clicked on 'My Games' only to find that FM2009 was marked as -not installed.

I now find that when I click on steam I get a small window saying 'connecting to ...(my account)" which after a while just disappears leaving me with nothing.

I have tried connecting through the web site but the same thing happens. I can get the site and other things but cannot access my account.

The thing that gets me is that I have paid for the game yet have no control over it whatsoever. I can play it on my main PC but cannot access it on my 2nd PC. I have had a query into steam support for three days - no response.

Solution - uninstall everything to do with steam from my 2nd PC and install Boxed version through uniloc or whatever they call it.

Nice little earner for SI this system.

Archived