Just an Observation

Ok so i dont post much on the boards, but have been reading various post on here since these forums were created.

With every new version that comes out each year, alot of people complain are generally say they are unhappy with the changes in the game.

This I have always put down to it taking a few seasons practice to get used to the new version.

I have owned every version of this game since the Domark days and I can honestly say I have enjoyed each new version more than the last.

I still believe this to be by far the best football management game available.

So to my observations with FM09.

my first reaction to the new game was urgh!!!! this is going to change things.

after playing for 3 seasons now.

2 practice seasons, then started the main game I would normally play until the next version appears (Barring big changes in patches in which I would normally start again from scratch)

the 2 practice seasons were with QPR and Barcelona. Got promoted with QPR and finished 8th with Barca (Got sacked but I have never been good in Spain).

So started my Main game, finished the first season 5th with Everton, thought great this seems ok, got used to it quicker than normal.

Had issues with injuries at the beginning of the season but they soon calmed down.

Also initially had issues scoring until Cahill came back. So I ended the season with 3 players on 15 goals and a defender on 7 Goals.

Then came the second season which I only brought 2 players in to strengthen the squad.

Van der Vaart and a defender called Azpilicueta.

All of a sudden my game feels disjointed, I can even create chances never mind score goals.

I have played 6 games and scored zero goals and only one game had more than 3 chances.

My opposition was Sunderland 1-0, Blackburn 2-0, Brno home and Away (was knocked out of the Euro Cup by them 2-0) Arsenal stuffed me 4-0 and Man city played me off the park and beat me 3-0.

So things really arnt looking good.

My tactics are the same, my starting eleven is the same but things are not going well.

I then started to think i wasnt enjoying the game,

I miss the old arrows on the tactics screen, my players no longer seem to follow the tactics i am setting and even watching the games in 2d doesnt feel good.

Is this my own doing?

Do I need more time to learn the game this time around?

Should I just face that I am just no good at the game?

What can I do to change?

Do others feel the same and is there anyone that is enjoying this game more than a previous version?

Phew that was long winded, please dont take this as a rant, as its really not.

I am still sure I will be enjoying the game until October next year because nothing else compares. Just thought i would try to get some ideas on how to increase my enjoyment.

Just to pick up on one point, i think this version heavily penalises you for having new players.

In old versions most players unless they were renowned moaners or sulky bast***s settled in pretty quick and didnt upset the team balance, in this version it seems to take forever for players to gel together, maybe thats why you are having such sketchy results??

It is pretty much the same thing that happened to Everton in real life. All you really need is an ugly win to get you on your way and get morale up. Concentrate on keeping a clean sheet first - you can't lose if you don't concede and the likelihood is that will be when you will nick your first goal as well.

After that you can sort out whether you need to alter your tactics slightly or revert back to the tactics that got you to fifth in the first place.

Archived