I feel like I'm in my own little world when I'm not told about major goings-on

I just got a message that the manager of the Egyptian national team has been sacked after the African cup of nations. I'm like "what?" I had no idea that the African cup of nations had been going on. I looked at the big news screen and it wasn't showing there either. I would have sent a scout there to have a look if I had known about it. So as a manager, I've just missed out on a major tournament and had no idea it was going on.

It has been like this in Fm for a long time now and I think it's time for a change. I do check tournaments from time to time, but In the busy winter months it is reasonable that I would forget to check.

I'd like it if major world news was put into the news screen, now that it is separate from the inbox, I think we can afford to have more information coming in.

I agree. I always feel like there is no life outside of the division I'm in. You really have to go out of your way to notice whats happening. Even regarding the best players in the world, you never really know much about it.

I'd quite like it if you could choose what news items made it into your inbox. Managerial sackings is one I'd definitely choose to have in my inbox.

yeh I agree with that totally.

p.s. Neji am i gonna get a cut from this Tv show?! I think i should...

I agree. I always feel like there is no life outside of the division I'm in. You really have to go out of your way to notice whats happening. Even regarding the best players in the world, you never really know much about it.

Yeah this is spot on. I check at the end of season summary or whatever its called but thats about it. Not sure how easy it would be to strike a balance between making the "football world" more interesting or tedious.

Yeah this is spot on. I check at the end of season summary or whatever its called but thats about it. Not sure how easy it would be to strike a balance between making the "football world" more interesting or tedious.

If you were the manager of Leyton Orient you wouldnt expect to be hand fed information about the Premier League. It is up to you, as the manager, to arrange this. The same with National Tournaments. You know when they are - you do the work.

I like the idea of having news items telling you of an upcoming international tournaments because this should be national/world wide news and therefore should be in every clubs news section wether it effects them or not.

But I am not so keen on being informed on how your favoured club is doing, like Kccircle said, the manager should do the work. If a team was really your favourite and you wanted to be informed on how they were doing you would check it out for yourself by viewing their games, looking at the transfers in/out, looking at their league position etc... You can't expect everything to be done for you.

I'd also love updates on when tournaments begin and end, especially youth tournies and events that don't take place every year.

I can't count how many times I've missed a majority of a tournament, sent a scout there for the last few rounds, and then completely forgotten to give him a new assignment after it's over.

If you were the manager of Leyton Orient you wouldnt expect to be hand fed information about the Premier League. It is up to you, as the manager, to arrange this. The same with National Tournaments. You know when they are - you do the work.

yeah but in everyday life you are kinda surrounded with premier league/world cup info etc it would be kinda nice to simulate the "hype" behind these competitions in the game. like I said you might end up with a load of useless news items I dont know how you would simulate it, Im a llm (not in the separate forum sense) but sometimes I miss things like benitez or ferguson having their jobs under threat, this isnt realistic.

Guys, I believe you can. I wasm essing around with preferences and theres a bit where you can choose what level of news you want abut a competiton. All of the major ones were listed from memory, you could have none at all, early stages and onwards, later stages and onwards or just the final (from memory)

I dont believe there was an option for more detailed info on individual clubs though

What an excellent idea, it'd be great to have the option of getting news items about your favourite club, ex-players and staff, major tournaments, other leagues starting and sackings etc.

I wasm essing around with preferences and theres a bit where you can choose what level of news you want abut a competiton.

Really? Whereabouts?

Thats why I've always suggested a new page,for news which is a sort of a website

News of every loaded league in tabular forms,and transfer rumours etc in a pop up form

This sounds really good.

I was thinking of something similar too, like a Media Centre page. This would mimic the function of the Transfer Centre and enable news from all your active leagues to be sorted in an easy-to-access as well as easy-to-read manner. Doing this will save the hassle of going through each league table and selecting the respective News section in order to get your daily fix of summaries and gossip.

If you do not want to keep abreast of all the news from around the world, you could just disable certain leagues of your choosing from the filters and streamline your News Centre page in a way that is more relevant to your interest.

A message should pop up from your assistant like 3/4 days before every major soccer event (including youth cups!) informing you of such, and suggest that Mr A (scout) is currently not on any scouting assignments, should we assign him to the tournament (buttons: YES / NO)...

Would be brilliant imo...

Personally I thought the news items were to replicate the web/nespapers/tv news. SO I would definately expect to be seeing news about the premier league etc within that, even if I was Ferry Bridge manager.

I agree with the op. The news items that appear need to be updated and given a more worldwide view to them, just to make them more realistic really, also it would be helpful.

Is it possible to scout a whole team? Like I want a scout to go to Arsenal and tell me if theres any good players. I cant find how you can do that :(

I know on FM07, I just select all players, and select >> Scout...and it asks me "Are u sure u want to scout all these 15 players" etc etc

I would like to be able to "Subscribe" to News.

For each item, I'd like to have the following options:

- Publish to my Inbox

- Publish to my News folder

- Display in ticker / "Continue" box but do not publish

- Do not publish

Examples might be:

My division

- League match results (Blue Square Premier teams)

- BSP League match date summaries

- Cup match results for BSP teams

- Cup match date summaries (BSP teams)

- Friendly match results

- Friendly match date summaries

- Hype, Interviews and media mind games (BSP teams)

- Signing news

- Transfer rumours & unhappy players

- Manager under-pressure

- Manager sacked

- Manager appointed

- Injuries (serious)

- Injuries (minor)

- Suspensions & Fines

- Weekly awards

- Monthly awards

- Annual awards

- Monthly summary

- Season summary

Team X (E.g., my favorite team, my former team, my national team, etc.)

- League match results

- Cup match results

- Friendly match results

- Signing news (int'l: call-up news)

- Transfer rumours (int'l: call-up rumours)

- Hype, Interviews and media mind games

- Signing news

- Manager under-pressure

- Manager sacked

- Manager appointed

- Injuries (serious)

- Injuries (minor)

- Suspensions & Fines

- Weekly awards

- Monthly awards

- Annual awards

- Monthly summary

- Season summary

Premier League

- League match results

- League match date summaries

- Cup match results for EPL teams

- Cup match date summaries (EPL teams)

- Friendly match results

- Signing news

- Manager under-pressure

- Manager sacked

- Manager appointed

- Injuries (serious)

- Injuries (minor)

- Suspensions & Fines

- Weekly awards

- Monthly awards

- Annual awards

- Monthly summary

- Season summary

G-14 teams

- G-14 League match results

- G-14 League match date summaries

- Cup match results for G-14 teams

- Cup match date summaries (G-14 teams)

- Friendly match results

- Signing news

- Manager under-pressure

- Manager sacked

- Manager appointed

- Injuries (serious)

- Injuries (minor)

- Suspensions & Fines

- Weekly awards

- Monthly awards

- Annual awards

Champions League

- Qualifying round match results

- Qualifying round match date summaries

- Group stage match results

- Group stage match date summaries

- Knockout round match results

- Knockout round match date summaries

- Signing news

- Manager under-pressure

- Manager sacked

- Manager appointed

- Injuries (serious)

- Injuries (minor)

- Suspensions & Fines

- Weekly awards

- Monthly awards

- Annual awards

World Cup

- UEFA Qualifying round match date summaries

- CONMEBOL Qualifying round match date summaries

- CONCACAF Qualifying round match date summaries

- CAF Qualifying round match date summaries

- AFC Qualifying round match date summaries

- OFC Qualifying round match date summaries

- Group stage match results

- Group stage match date summaries

- Knockout round match results

- Knockout round match date summaries

- Hype, Interviews and media mind games (Qualifying)

- Call-up news (Qualifying)

- Call-up rumours & unhappy players (Qualifying)

- Injuries (serious) (Qualifying)

- Injuries (minor) (Qualifying)

- Suspensions & Fines (Qualifying)

- Hype, Interviews and media mind games (Finals)

- Call-up news (Finals)

- Call-up rumours & unhappy players (Finals)

- Injuries (serious) (Finals)

- Injuries (minor) (Finals)

- Suspensions & Fines (Finals)

- Annual awards

International (UEFA) (Active league or Retain-all)

- Manager under-pressure

- Manager sacked

- Manager appointed

International (UEFA) (Inactive but manageable)

- Manager under-pressure

- Manager sacked

- Manager appointed

. . . .

With this kind of "specificity", I could put Hype about the World Cup, EPL, and Champions League in my Inbox. Maybe I'd put EPL Match Date summaries in my Inbox, but leave the individual Match summaries sitting in my News, in case I want to go find out more. I could sign up to follow religiously, say, York City, Liverpool, and the Scottish national team. I could set

We'd add a "Monthly summary" for any given division, which should be one LONG e-mail containing a paragraph about each of the following:

- The title / promotion chase

- Relegation chase

- Key results

- One out-performing club

- One under-performing club

- Biggest name transfer(s)

- Managerial sackings/hirings

FM needs a virtual paper.

It gets published ever day, maybe every few days with the latest news, Southgate in trouble with FA, Berbatov injured, Rela Madrid sack Whats his name, African cup is about to start, player banned for foul, the kind of thing we read each day.

That keeps you more immersed in the football world of FM.

If you're like me each day I log into SKY Sports, The Guardian and The BBC to see what's happening in the football world. It would be great for FM to create such a 'website' or 'sports back page' from the goings on in FM.

I would like to be able to "Subscribe" to News.

For each item, I'd like to have the following options:

<snip lots of news items>

That's a rediculous amount of stuff, most of which the majority of users wouldn't appreciate, I'd imagine. As it is you get too many news items about players you have no interest in, or managers in a different country being under pressure. I agree with the idea of being able to tailor things to a degree, but the number of options you want is insane!

I love the idea on subscribing to certain news themes, as I too have always felt like I had to go out of my way to find out about even the biggest news that weren't occuring in my country, and that's why I put in my shortlist a ton of players, just so I can get an idea of the other teams and leagues are going.

I'm glad people are experiencing the same thing as me, I thought I may have been the only one!

Personally I'm for a website idea that replaces the news page, gives you divisional news on the front page but lets you access all news sorted by international, by country, by league so everything about the world in-game can be accessed in a single page, but doesn't bombard the user with unnecessary news items.

FM needs a virtual paper.

It gets published ever day, maybe every few days with the latest news, Southgate in trouble with FA, Berbatov injured, Rela Madrid sack Whats his name, African cup is about to start, player banned for foul, the kind of thing we read each day.

That keeps you more immersed in the football world of FM.

If you're like me each day I log into SKY Sports, The Guardian and The BBC to see what's happening in the football world. It would be great for FM to create such a 'website' or 'sports back page' from the goings on in FM.

That's a great idea. If it was done well it would be a really nice addition.

I'd also like to be able to customise my inbox a bit more, but maybe not in as much detail as listed above.

That's a rediculous amount of stuff, most of which the majority of users wouldn't appreciate, I'd imagine. As it is you get too many news items about players you have no interest in, or managers in a different country being under pressure. I agree with the idea of being able to tailor things to a degree, but the number of options you want is insane!

What's with this recent thing where people spell ridiculous with an e, have I missed something?

Whether it's a list full of things most users want to know or not has nothing to do with it, if you can subscribe/filter news items then you will be able to read what you, individually, want to read. You can't please everyone, but providing more than is necessary is surely the easiest way to please the majority.

I think the ideia is for you to choose from the list which news you want to receive, it could be everything, some of them or none.

I like it a lot, would be a nice addition to the game.

I like it the way it is now, but would also prefer something like a weekly round-up with the important football news from the leagues which are active in the game. Just the headlines.

In each league there is a new page which is ok but some of the suggestions on here are much better.

My minor gripe is in the league news page why are the entries never in date order?

i'd hardly say that was a minor gripe, it does my head in that, makes me not want to read it cos it looks so lionel (messy).

and it says 1 next to it even if you've read them all.

si promised us a changed in the way news is done for fm2009 but i dont really see a change and the last two versions have been ruined by being stuck in your own world and having no idea of what's going on in the world.

Archived