Emre on military service?

All Turks have to do military service. If Emre had gone back to Turkey earlier, he'd have had to do 2 years. But because we (Newcastle) agreed to delay his transfer until a certain date he got off with just doing a couple of months due to either age or being out the country for a certain amount of time (I think it was the latter, but I'm not 100% sure).

It was in the local papers here when it happened, so it's quite correct that it's in the game as well.

Actually, just found the details in an old local newspaper article online...

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/tm_headline=army-duty-holds-up-emre-s-switch&method=full&objectid=21104006&siteid=61634-name_page.html

Under Turkish law, any citizen who has lived outside of the country for between one and three years has to spend 15 months in national service.

However, anyone returning after more than three years living abroad only has to sign up for 21 days of basic military training, which Emre will begin next month before he officially becomes a Fenerbahçe player.

The transfer was delayed so that he'd have been out of the country for more than 3 years, meaning he'd only have to do 21 days basic training instead of 15 months national service.

All healthy Turkish males have to serve in the military it's a mandatory service. Those who live, work, or study abroad can delay their service until their 40's I believe and as stated if they've been out of the country for over 3 years or have citizenship from another country they can get off by only completing the basic training as stated in the article above which is only 20-30 days. If they fail to comply with these rules they may lose their citizenship or even sent to prison until they complete their service in one form or another.

It's true that Emre starts the game off serving in the military.

Neither is blowing people up. Extremist Muslims are the notable group for Fundamentalist Terrorism (and no, that doesn't mean ALL Muslims).

He is having a joke and is not being racist, so lighten up, before Political Correctness ruins the forum as well as the country

You better hope he's not a suicide bomber.

yeah the Turkish armed forces are well known for training terrorists aren't they? you're an idiot and so is KrisMarina for again equating the large-scale military of an Islamic country with ambitions to join the EU with "Fundamentalist Terrorism". Just absolute knuckle-dragging idiocy from the both of you. That's like standing outside your local church and shouting at the little old ladies on their way out for being just like the money-grabbing american televangelists we all like to tut at

Well actually the Turkish military is extremely secular and has no tolerance for religious ideology in any way shape or form. Though it is known in Turkey that Emre is a devout Muslim, but that's besides the point... Oh and just to add another note those Islamic fundamentalist terrorists hate Turkey even more than they hate Western countries as they view most Turks as practicing a westernized evil form of Islam that doesn't fit the traditions and customs of the Arabian peninsula and they don't hate anything more than individuals that they think misuse the word of Islam at least those who do not practice it the way they feel is fit...

Another reason why a Turk may take heavy offense to such a comment is that Turkey is a nation that goes through terrorism on a daily basis almost as much as Israel ;) Ignorance is a lovely thing ain't it :)

Yes we had sell him before he was eligible due to military service, he was no longer registered as a player apparantly when he goes away so we had to sell him before he went :p

Otherwise we would have had him all through the close season getting paid lots by us for no reason.

Re: the suicide bomber "joke". It was inappropriate and Skunner's been warned. I trust this is now the end of the matter and we can continue to discuss Emre's apparent military call up, rather than whether or not he is a suicide bomber, and whether or not that comment was offensive (it was).

Sorry GillsMan, I know you wanted the matter closed, but I just wanted to point out that nobody has explicitly stated the fact that suicide bombings carried out by Turks are extremely rare.

This is true, however, it's worth stating that even if they were common I'd counter that the comment was still at best inappropriate, and misplaced in a discussion about football.

Right, sorry chaps, time to close this thread. For discussion about Emre IRL, go to the Football Forum. For discussion about Turkish armies and suicide bombers, go to the Off Topic Forum. For discussion about my moderating, go the These Forums thread.

It's a shame that one silly comment ruined a potentially interesting thread.

Archived