Why are my players so keen to leave?

After a respectable first season with Newcastle (10th and LC semi-final, every happy in the squad) I'm a little puzzled by any decent player wanting to leave in the close season as soon as another club expresses interest.

It's one thing Coloccini wanting to move to a bigger club (shipped him to Roma for £15m) or Martins getting narked I won't sell him to, um, Spurs (even though he'd just declared himself delighted I'd signed a new contract).

But why is club captain, been at NUFC all his life Steven Taylor so upset I won't give him his 'dream move' to Villa? Why is my reserve defender Bassong now unhappy I won't sell him to Reading because I bought a replacement for Colocinni (which was a TOTAL mission in itself, with apparently teams like 15th placed Sunderland a more attractive destantation for players like Jageilka) - even though his position hasn't changed?

Apart from the most exteme example of Taylor, it seems in my first close seaon players are far too easily unsettled, and its too hard to get others, unless you massively overpay (£15m for Riquelme, who no one else was in for, £7.5m got 31-y-o Ryan Nelsen) or transfer listed (£4m for Saviola on big wages with little opposition).

There's quite a few other examples of my players openly inviting offers/interest, but the only one who hasn't been unsettled my a refused bid is Jonas.

What's wrong - or is it just a FMerism?

PS: The patch has made the game so much better, I don't know why they bothered realising the 'demo'

I was going to come in a say, because you're Newcastle and finished a mediocre 10th but they probably wouldn't want to leave for a 15th place team. I like the difficulty in keeping players in this version but that maybe a bit silly.

Having said that, Sunderland are probably on the up with a decent manager and big investment so they may think its a good move. Thats the only thing I can realy justify it with.

need eurocup play to keep players and keep club rep above 7000.

been like this since cm 97 or so

Ah, so its just computer number crunching.... i keep suspending my disbelief and forgetting the binary realities of it all.

that would probably explain why the 'big four' in my game hardly ever sign anyone. man utd haven't signed one person in two close seasons so far.

ho hum....

Having the same pb here. Won the CL twice in 3 years and every time a 'big club' expresses interest in one of my players they end up wanting to leave for a bigger club.

I think it's something Si might want to tone down.

actually, i'd quite happily trade selling my finest to Real and Chelski and the like in return for a couple of Champions Leagues with the toon!

What experience level did you choose for yourself? If you chose Sunday league footballer or less then the players could be tempted by a "better" known Manager.

My experience was 'automatic', so that's obviously a factor. But does that mean anyone starting in the Premier League with little experience, then gets a 'national' rep after a okay season faces having their whole first team squad being flattered into demanding moves in the close season?

i think there's definitely a general problem with it. here's some examples;

xisco's had his head turned. he 'flattered by the interest' and is upset when i turn down an offer for him. but when i then offer him to teams, thus automatically putting him on the transfer list, he's now 'determined to prove his worth to the team'. take him off the transfer list, he's 'flattered by interest' immediately again.

martins' favoured personnel are suddenly now Ramos and Ferguson, just because they said he was good, and his first name is now officially 'Wantaway'

ALL my first team players gladly accept praise from any other managers and publically say they would welcome a move BUT now even my reserve (but promising) defender Kadar is hakering after a move to Ipswich, Reading or Swansea - he doesn't seem fussy which!

Then when I tried to flatter Daniel Sturridge into not signing a new Man City contract and come to me for a free, he dutifully left the club in the summer..... and chose Reading instead???

doesnt seem to make a whole lot of sense to me, but i wonder if there's anything i can do in terms of transfer settings etc?

or maybe i should just change to extra mint tactics?

I have this problem too with the toon, i just ignored it tbh and played them unhappy for a season, didn't seem to spoil their form in the slightest with the 2 concerned collocini and owen, owen getting 22 goals in 33 games and collocini getting an average of 7.38 over the season. My advice is to just ignore it, wait for european football and they will soon get over themselves.

I had the same problem with newcastle and we're top of the table with 6 matches to go in our first season. In some cases like "owen" I was ecstatic to see him go cos his wages are downright unacceptable in my books. The other players well they turned around, they aren't keen to leave anymore as well. I think its down to your rep, the players rep and the clubs rep. What you need to do realistically if you manage a club like newcastle or any club of a similar stature is that you need to get the right results. Its as simple as that.

You're a new manager, no one has heard of you yet and unless you have a 'magician's touch' chances are the players are going to regard you with a lot of doubt. Results, that's the only way to turn it around and rightly so.

Nice to see FM realistically representing Newcastle as a small club :D

I just let them be unhappy and continue to play them as normal, they'll whinge to begin with but once the season gets underway and you've got a few wins under your belt they tend to shut up.

Quite funny that there is another Newcastle thread on here saying they can't get rid of some of their players :o

Ah, so its just computer number crunching.... i keep suspending my disbelief and forgetting the binary realities of it all.

that would probably explain why the 'big four' in my game hardly ever sign anyone. man utd haven't signed one person in two close seasons so far.

ho hum....

eurocup gives 7000+ rep

champ leauge 7500+

eurovase 6500+

so small teams like gateshead get rep 7500 first time they reach final 4. a team like man U start with 9500 rep or so and if they miss eurocup games a few years in row they will declaine to under 7000, it drops like 800-1200 per year depending how much u loose

After a respectable first season with Newcastle (10th and LC semi-final, every happy in the squad) I'm a little puzzled by any decent player wanting to leave in the close season as soon as another club expresses interest.

It's one thing Coloccini wanting to move to a bigger club (shipped him to Roma for £15m) or Martins getting narked I won't sell him to, um, Spurs (even though he'd just declared himself delighted I'd signed a new contract).

But why is club captain, been at NUFC all his life Steven Taylor so upset I won't give him his 'dream move' to Villa? Why is my reserve defender Bassong now unhappy I won't sell him to Reading because I bought a replacement for Colocinni (which was a TOTAL mission in itself, with apparently teams like 15th placed Sunderland a more attractive destantation for players like Jageilka) - even though his position hasn't changed?

Apart from the most exteme example of Taylor, it seems in my first close seaon players are far too easily unsettled, and its too hard to get others, unless you massively overpay (£15m for Riquelme, who no one else was in for, £7.5m got 31-y-o Ryan Nelsen) or transfer listed (£4m for Saviola on big wages with little opposition).

There's quite a few other examples of my players openly inviting offers/interest, but the only one who hasn't been unsettled my a refused bid is Jonas.

What's wrong - or is it just a FMerism?

PS: The patch has made the game so much better, I don't know why they bothered realising the 'demo'

couldnt agree more mate.

have exactly same thing with my newcastle save.

taylor, martins, collocini, zapater, and now bassong all unhappy.

i eventually just let collocini go but kept the rest as they are integral players for me.

but i wish i had of let them all go as i have now bad squad harmonay because of it, players dont like certain players because they want to leave the club etc.

all cost me valuable points in league due to performances which were not up to standard.

my advice mate let them go and bring in players who want to play for the club.

better squad harmonay is the key if you want to have good performances.

Nice to see FM realistically representing Newcastle as a small club :D

I just let them be unhappy and continue to play them as normal, they'll whinge to begin with but once the season gets underway and you've got a few wins under your belt they tend to shut up.

Quite funny that there is another Newcastle thread on here saying they can't get rid of some of their players :o

interesting to hear your opinion on newcastle not being a big club.

what team do you support by the way? would be interesting to hear.

see how your team fairs against newcastle.

newcastle are a big club and allways will be mate.

t's one thing Coloccini wanting to move to a bigger club (shipped him to Roma for £15m) or Martins getting narked I won't sell him to, um, Spurs (even though he'd just declared himself delighted I'd signed a new contract).

Erm I can understand this because quite frankly, Spurs (and I'm an arsenal fan) are a much bigger club than the toon army!

It seems like SI have simulated Newcastle pretty well to be honest.

Martins would leave as soon as he got a better offer; and you could say the same for pretty much the whole squad.

And yes, if come January Aston Villa bid £10m for Taylor, I would say there's an 80% chance of him leaving as it is a definite step up in his career.

Why are you so surprised?

t's one thing Coloccini wanting to move to a bigger club (shipped him to Roma for £15m) or Martins getting narked I won't sell him to, um, Spurs (even though he'd just declared himself delighted I'd signed a new contract).

Erm I can understand this because quite frankly, Spurs (and I'm an arsenal fan) are a much bigger club than the toon army!

dream on mate spurs.

your having a laugh arnt u right?

they have a worse defense than us mate and overpriced players.

bahahahaha

Typical Newcastle fan response - you've won nothing and you're fighting against relegation, you are not a big club purely because you have a high attendance.

Nobody in the world other than Newcastle fans think you're a big club.

the very fact that we have a high attendance and a devoted fan base says it all mate.

even in the comical past seasons weve had our fans allways stay loyal and true.

newcastle will be up there sooner or later.

dream on mate spurs.

your having a laugh arnt u right?

they have a worse defense than us mate and overpriced players.

Spurs have won something in the last 50 years and are currently in Europe with one of the top premiership managers and are financial secure.

Harry was offered the Newcastle job and turned it down, was offered the Spurs job and was there overnight.

Spurs are infinitely bigger than Newcastle.

This really annoys me, why do people always bring up the argument about newcastle being a big club, quite frankly it ****es me right ****ing off. Now i am a newcastle fan, so firstly i would like to say to all newcastle fans just ignore everyone else, and to everyone else just ignore the newcastle fans.

People are so ignorant that they believe "big club" actually has a definition. ITS SUBJECTIVE, so get over it. What one person defines as a big club is different to another.

Now i agree Tottenham are a bigger club than newcastle, and personally i think that outside the top 4 there is a small group much bigger than the rest; Tottenham, aston villa, everton, and newcastle. Those 4 are the "big clubs" outside the top 4. Yes we are struggling atm but no one said anything when everton came 17th a few years back, no-one said anything about tottenham were constantly mid tabel while we were playing against barca, juve and inter in the champions league. Now im sorry but newcastle have qualified 3 times for the champions league since the prem began and Tottenham and Villa NEVER have, whilst everton only once.

If it is my dieing wish can people stop arguing whether newcastle are a big club or not. It doesnt matter, just let us be.

On a more thread-like note.... mr poster.. you are aware of the fact that your little problem is solved by just discipline the player for an unpro. behavior when he says he'd love a move o another team?

I'd also just want to tell you that Owen and Martins are easily sold for a combined sum of £54 mill ;) That should give you a nice transfer kit:)

Well you do know that newcastle has one of the highest revenue turnovers in the world don't you? I am talking top 15 btw, including all the real madrids, juventus man utd's of this world etc. They have one of the highest fan base within the premiership and quite a decent one outside of it as well. How else do you think they are able to spend so much money in the past on players. Ok most of them turned out crap but the money was always there. There is a reason why people think its a big club, that reason being that it IS a big club one of the biggest in the world no doubt.

If you think i am wrong simply google the turnovers for various clubs accross the world, we are 5th in the permiership and (2 years ago when i last checked) we were 9th richest club in the world based on turnover.

Go figure..

To put this further into perspective, aston villa, spurs, everton and any other team you care to mention outside the top 4 neither played in champions league football, nor finished in the top 4 the past decade with the exception of everton who finished 4th once played 2 games of champions league football and dropped out again. You can talk about winning the league cup all you want but i would rather quote that as a success (playing european football for around 8 years in succession, having 5 top 4 finishes in the league with 2 runners up medals / positions) than winning a cup that people play there reserve team through so as to not tire there players out for the league matches.

In closing, Newcastle are as big a club as you are going to get outside the top 4, sorry, to be more clear, they ARE the biggest club outside the top 4.

edit: cba to find a better link, but this shows you partly what i am talking about:

http://www.footballeconomy.com/stats/stats_turnover_01.htm

further more

http://money.uk.msn.com/consumer/football-finance/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5872436

And finally, world wise...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_top_ten_richest_football_clubs_in_the_world

So as you can see, to the guy who said hahahahahaha newcastle are a big club, joke is on you.

And yes you can base financial gain as being a big club, because it's the first thing you need to be a big club.

Well you do know that newcastle has one of the highest revenue turnovers in the world don't you? I am talking top 15 btw, including all the real madrids, juventus man utd's of this world etc. They have one of the highest fan base within the premiership and quite a decent one outside of it as well. How else do you think they are able to spend so much money in the past on players. Ok most of them turned out crap but the money was always there. There is a reason why people think its a big club, that reason being that it IS a big club one of the biggest in the world no doubt.

If you think i am wrong simply google the turnovers for various clubs accross the world, we are 5th in the permiership and (2 years ago when i last checked) we were 9th richest club in the world based on turnover.

Go figure..

To put this further into perspective, aston villa, spurs, everton and any other team you care to mention outside the top 4 neither played in champions league football, nor finished in the top 4 the past decade with the exception of everton who finished 4th once played 2 games of champions league football and dropped out again. You can talk about winning the league cup all you want but i would rather quote that as a success (playing european football for around 8 years in succession, having 5 top 4 finishes in the league with 2 runners up medals / positions) than winning a cup that people play there reserve team through so as to not tire there players out for the league matches.

In closing, Newcastle are as big a club as you are going to get outside the top 4, sorry, to be more clear, they ARE the biggest club outside the top 4.

edit: cba to find a better link, but this shows you partly what i am talking about:

further more

http://money.uk.msn.com/consumer/football-finance/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5872436

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_top_ten_richest_football_clubs_in_the_world

So as you can see, to the guy who said hahahahahaha newcastle are a big club, joke is on you.

And yes you can base financial gain as being a big club, because it's the first thing you need to be a big club.

couldnt agree more mate.

well said.

come on you toon.

Spurs have won something in the last 50 years and are currently in Europe with one of the top premiership managers and are financial secure.

Harry was offered the Newcastle job and turned it down, was offered the Spurs job and was there overnight.

Spurs are infinitely bigger than Newcastle.

dream on mate

i think the very fact that harry didnt want to move from the very bottom of the country up to the top had a big bearing on his decision, with also the small thing of desperate and riddiculous amount of cash being thrown at him by that novice levvy.

thats his only answer, i know lets throw a lot of money at this crisis thatll sort it out.

unfortunately mate that dosent work, trust me i know im a newcastle supporter been done here plenty in the past.

Because newcastle are awful :p (joking! Before a Geordie kills me)

No seriously i agree that some players are tempted by ridiculous clubs. Eg De rossi being attracted to Sevilla and what the other examples have been used. I also reckon Taylor would move to somebody like Villa at this current time. Maybe when chairman sells up he might be of different opinion and would never leave! but right now he would!

Go figure..

further more

What are those lists based on because West Ham are in the top twenty?

I am ****ing myself because they are in the middle of a financial melt down atm.

And Newcastle are a big club, just not as good as they think they are.

Notts Forest are a big club but aren't doing anything on the field. Same as Toon.

Archived