The reason I love this game so much.....

We all know, as gamers, there are moments we experience that are simply jaw-dropping. They make you stand back and go 'HOLY ****!' as you take a moment to digest what just happened on screen. I'm talking about those block-buster twists and turns (remember the scene in COD: Modern Warfare with the nuclear detonation?) that are usually found in 3rd person shooters. By rights, a game like Football Manager shouldn't be able to stand amongst the likes of Half-Life and co.

And yet, emotionally, it does. It even manages to surpass it. Now maybe the reason is simply because its football, and football fans are passionate and crazy. Football fans are fickle, impatient and everyone of us sees the same thing differently (whereas other don't see it at all).

And maybe because it is football, the connection is far stronger than a game like Half-Life, because you've probably been to a football game recently but when was the last time you shot funny looking creatures as they chased you around corridors?

So, when I sat down the other night to play out an FA Cup semi-final, I was positively nervous. Yes, nervous about the potential of animated pixels failing to reach a 3D replication of the pitch at Wembley. Managing Spurs, I had Chelsea in my way. The same Chelsea who spanked me 3-0 at the Lane and 2-1 at Stamford Bridge. Outclassed on both occasions. A third defeat against them in one season? Unthinkable. The fans already have poor moral over the last two encounters.

So, I selected my team. My formation. I told the players I believed they could win. And out we went.

At the final whistle, possession was shared 50% each. Chelsea managed 14 shots on goal, 9 on target. We hit 12 shots on goal, 6 on target. The game statistically was as even as you could possibly imagine on the pitch. The on-field battles, especially in midfield, were epic. Hard hitting tackles, great one-two passing movements. Both keepers outstanding. Every counter-attack, I was off my chair, screaming and shouting like a mad man, usually with the type of screaming that belongs in the 'terraces' rather than the dugout.

What made this derby match so incredible, was how believable the football was. End to end, mistakes from both sets of players, sitters missed, woodwork hit. Proper intense, high tempo good old fashion cup match.

What made it the most remarkable game in my personal FM history, was that at the final whistle the score stood proud at:

Chelsea 0 Spurs 5.

Yes. 5-0. One up at half-time, two more scored by the 70th minute and two very very late goals was immensely cruel on Chelsea. This was not a thrashing in the traditional sense. They were not outclassed. It was just one of those days that everything went right for my team. And with every goal it was pandemonium for us and utter confusion for them. At 3-0 up I was rubbing my eyes, at 5-0 I was dancing round the room chasing the cat (who had not a clue of my apparent momentary insanity).

This was fist-punching-the-air good. It was bloody well stupendous and a defining moment in my debut FM2009 season.

It was simply jaw-dropping and the concluding statisfaction, gaming wise, second to none when that final whistle blow.

And that's the reason I love this game so much. I'm still looking for my jaw.

This thread brought a tear to my eye urbanjunkie! It's moments like this that make FM what it is. Moments like the other night when I was punching the air after clinching a 1-1 draw as Newcastle, against table topping Liverpool at Anfield.

I salute you sir!

While managing Huddersfield, going into Elland Road as huge underdogs, and, after going down 1-nil early, clipping the Whites 2-1 with a 90th minute winner... Did a lot of fist pumping and jumping about on that one. Wife thinks I'm daft.

She's right, of course.

Anyway, pure class...

Love this game...

First league game in charge of Carlisle, away at runaway League 1 favourites Leeds. 3-0 down after 25 minutes. At half time, I bollock the team, tell them to resort to hoof ball but at the same time bringing on my highly skilled not-quite-match-fit-yet Spanish right-winger I'd just bought for 200K.

Final result: Leeds 3-4 Carlisle, a hat-trick for my previously nerve-wracked striker and an admittedly flukey goal scored direct from the corner from my new Spaniard, who also made two of the other goals.

:D

EDIT: For anyone curious/confused about my location shown left, I'm from Carlisle but went to Leeds Uni and got a job here afterwards and stayed.

i'm playing as villa although i support man utd. at half time away to arsenal it was 0 - 0 and fairly even. so at half time i thought i'd be just a little more adventurous and lost 5 - 0! then a little while later i was playing chelsea at home and won 2 - 1 in injury time. i cannot describe that feeling!!

I'm loving it at the moment. The highlight of my season so far is the champions league group stage. I was drawn in with Zenit, Villareal, and Fiorentina. I was dreading it and I expected it to be a very tight group

First match vs Fiorentina away. Predictably I went 1-0 down fairly quickly, because I don't do defensive, I do what man united are best at; attacking. Moments later Berbatov scored a fine solo effort, running past a defender, getting in to the penalty area and slotting it past the keeper. Just after half time berbatov was fed a through ball and was one on one with the keeper, where he coolly placed it in the bottom right corner. I began to think I could actually win. But they came back at me and leveled 2-2 when Santana scored a fantastic lob over my keeper from the edge of the area. At this point I considered settling for a draw and going defensive, but instead I went all out attack, because I'm a bit mad like that. Anyway it paid off, Berbatov got his hat-track with another superbly taken one one one with the keeper, again slotting it in to the bottom corner. After this I decided to play it safe and drop the defensive line back a bit and bring on two defensive midfielders

Next game was Villareal, Spanish runners up last year. I once again thought it would be close, but I thrashed them 4-0. They were never in it.

Then on to Zenit away. I had beaten them narrowly 3-2 in the super cup, so I was expecting a draw. But Berbatov shines again and scores the only 2 goals of the game, a comfortable victory

So all I needed was a home win against Zenit...piece of cake, easy win, I progress from the group of death with 2 games to spare. It's nice when you find a tactic that works and the team gels

It seems that my decision to sell Rooney to Real madrid for £43M and replace him with Aguero was the right one. Aguero plays AMC with Berbatov up on his own, and he excels at it

i totally agree i love this thread.

its great especially after losing lots of game sor being frustrated or just for any reason. to win anytime is great but those tight/important leageu/cup matches that just take all your emotions and people who dont understand think we are daft but its why i will play this game forever because you cannot top this feeling when that last minute goal goes in or a hard earned victory is won

While managing Huddersfield, going into Elland Road as huge underdogs, and, after going down 1-nil early, clipping the Whites 2-1 with a 90th minute winner... Did a lot of fist pumping and jumping about on that one. Wife thinks I'm daft.

She's right, of course.

Anyway, pure class...

Love this game...

I thought you were talking about real life for a second... :D

picture the scene 2am, the whole 'i'll go to bed after the next game...' thing which never works

3-1 down to villa in league cup 4th round

start to wind down

then 3-2 then 3-3

goes to extra time, 119 mins, i put a striker on for a defender inpreparation for penalties

ball goes through and he slots it nicely in the corner i win 4-3

i know its only 4th round of league cup and only a game (non fm-ers should never say that to an fmer) but what an amazing feeling!!!!!

I had a player in my reserves, called Polanski, who I purchased when I first took over Bayern Munich, his stats looked good, but his form was shocking. I kept him on because he was a half decent back up, but he rarely played, making only 35 appearances in 5 seasons.

In 2013 I was facing Lyon in the CL semis, I had won the first leg 1-0, but was losing the second leg 2-0. I knew one goal would win it for me and 5 minutes after bringing on an extra striker my holding midfielder got injured. The options on the bench weren't great, and I had to turn to Polanski, the clock was ticking down and we entered injury time. It was the 93rd minute and I had accepted defeat when up popped the highlights 2D screen, Schweinsteiger played a long through ball and for some bizarre reason, despite being a holding midfielder, Polanski was battling it out with the last defender to reach the ball on the edge of the box BANG he smashed it into the top right hand corner.

Ever since that, he gets a new contract even if he isn't in my plans. He'll always be remembered as the player who gave me my first chance in the CL finals with Bayern, even if I did get thumped by Barca in the final.

In that game I experienced all the thrills and spills of real life football emotion, and that's why I love this game.

In my game on 09, I am at the moment Servette FC in the second tier of Switzerland - I am struggling seriously to begin with 3 points (all draws) in my first 8 games. A win in the Swiss Cup gives me my first win of the season and it seems to start me on a roll with another draw and two wins in the league and another win in the next round of the cup.

Then I come up against the league leaders as I am sat 13th out of 16th. Away from home and it's like oh well damage limitation. I play with my tactics that I changed just before the good run started but still I find myself 2 down at half time. Playing 4-3-2-1 I change my striker to instant sucsess with a goal five minutes after half time. The same player then goes and draws us level with 20 minutes to go. I am going mad thinking that I am actually going to get a draw. But wait it's coming the winner !! With 4 minutes to go I score a third and lead 3-2. At this point a big shout of 'GET IN' and I am getting funny looks from the girlfriend to who I apologise.

But yes I did finish the game 3-2 winners, and that is why I love the game!

Archived