Most of talk I see is about transfer budgets, but that's not my problem.

I took over Oxford United and brought in a lot of new players. Didn't spent much money on players - most of them are Europeans who didn't have a club - but I'm obviously having to pay their wages. And a lot of players previously on £50 or £200 a week are asking for £1,000 or more when their contracts come up.

So, although my wages are shown as £18,000 against a budget of £19,000 I'm showing as being over my wage budget. I presume this isn't a bug, but because when the new contracts kick in I'll be well over my wage budget.

We're fifth in the table with five games to go so there's still a chance for promotion, which I'd hope would see the wage budget go up a bit, but I really need to get my wages down.

In January I tried to offload some players, but only a few clubs bid and offered me ludicrously low sums of money for the players they wanted, then closed negotiations when I asked for more.

So, how should I get my wage budget down? List players for loan and ask for contributions to their wages? Or should I release some players, even though that costs money? What effect does it actually have on me if I, say, release a player and end up having to pay £30,000 or so to get rid of them?

I guess I should wait until the end of the season and see how things look then.

I got my wage bill down over the summer after my first season. (We missed out on a play off place, finishing sixth, but won the Setanta Shield - to which the board and fans reacted as if we'd just won the Champions League and FA Cup in the same week, or something.)

How did I get the wages down? Easy! Lots of offers came in for my good players. Some I accepted, some I refused and some I had to accept due to that bane of the lower leagues, the big club release clause.

And then clubs refused to sell me any decent players, so I had to find some cheap chaps without contracts.

So, my finances are now solid, but I've got a significantly worse team. Ah well.

just seen something weird playing with Luton my maximum wage allowed was 5k but when i bidded for Rivaldo it was willing to match his current contract of 75k! i was amazed by that

This has been reported elsewhere and unfortunately it is a bug that slipped into the game at the last moment. It is reasonably 'avoidable' as these players with huge wages won't show up on your player search screen if you are only displaying interested players. Please also bear in mind that should you decide to sign these players using this exploit, your club will more than likely struggle for finances in the future...

I had a 17 year old come through the ranks at Man Utd, and upon looking at his stats he was very impressive. When I went to offer him a contract he was asking for $200k (85k-ish pounds) per week! :o

Obviously he didn't hit the jackpot, and at the end of the season he accepted a $50k a week contract which was still over the top but better than losing him

I had a 17 year old come through the ranks at Man Utd, and upon looking at his stats he was very impressive. When I went to offer him a contract he was asking for $200k (85k-ish pounds) per week! :o

Obviously he didn't hit the jackpot, and at the end of the season he accepted a $50k a week contract which was still over the top but better than losing him

lol imagine paying a 17 year old that!

I know we've already established the wages problem, but I just had an interesting one:

English youngster got promoted to my squad at Man Utd, on a salaray of $72,000 per week. This 18 year old fresh from the academy earns more in a week than I do in a year and he's actually pretty bad...

• SI Staff
I know we've already established the wages problem, but I just had an interesting one:

English youngster got promoted to my squad at Man Utd, on a salaray of $72,000 per week. This 18 year old fresh from the academy earns more in a week than I do in a year and he's actually pretty bad...

Did you go on holiday or was this his wage in the game when he was promoted from the youth team?

That is obscene it would take me nearly 5 years to earn that much!

I never go on holiday, it was literally the instant I got the news item that I opened his profile, then saw his demands for a new contract ($72k per week, I guess about 30k pounds) and noted that he was already on that wage!

Archived