Still Can't Sell Good Players...

I'm not normally one to complain about this sort of thing but it's really starting to get to me. Here we go, I'm managing Newcastle, so I try to sell Shay Given in order to bring in funds for a replacement (Given is not great in the game and getting on a bit now), so I transfer list him, offer him for his asking price, no offers, then I lower it to 2 million and again no offers, lower again to 1 million, no offers, offer him for free, no offers....I'm sorry but if Given was available in real life there is no question that someone would pay at least 2 or 3 million for him never mind take him for free. I've tried setting his status as not needed also.

I've also had the same problem with several other players most notably Jonas who even when I list him for next to nothing I only get loan offers (or nothing at all if I make him unavailable for loans).

Apologies if I am missing something, in which case please someone fill me in on how I can sell players of such quality, even for a couple of million to raise funds because otherwise it seems pretty ridiculous.

I am using the patch btw

Depends if the teams the teams that would be interested can, at the same time afford his wages. No doubt he's on £30K - £40K? Sometimes, you just can't shift players....I tried to get rid of Rob Earnshaw and Kenny miller for Derby on FM08, 2 years I tried but their wages were £20K + each, which didn't reflect their abilities.

It's more to do with if a player wants to leave the club or not and their club loyalty than it has been in previous versions.

If Shays status is "Does not want to leave the club" then nobody will put in a bid because they don't want to waste their time on someone who doesn't want to leave the club.

Whilst this is true in real life to an extent, it is over-represented on FM09.

Basically to sell him you leave him to rot in the reserves until he's annoyed - but given his loyalty to the club he'll probably be happy to sit there for a while.

He's been a loyal servant to the club for a long time, he's nearing the twilight of his career, getting a decent wage and he's under contract - why would he want to leave?

Well rumour has it that he does want to leave, years of playing behind utter rubbish in defence and inept managers/chairmen probably has something to do with that. In any case, he's been linked with a january move recently and I still make the point that if he or any of these players were offered for nothing you'd get dosens of teams making offers IRL.

At what time of the season are you offering him to clubs? If it's outside of the transfer window you wouldn't get too many clubs looking.

I still think it's more to do with the wages / bonus he's requesting; he could say he wants to stay at the club all he likes, but there would still be takers, and in real life he would eventually go. I'm sure Phil Neville, or Nicky Butt never wanted to leave Man U.

its pre season, I've tried from the start of the game til the window closes to sell Given and Jonas, neither gets a single transfer bid no matter how low I offer them for. I Even did a test with Collocini (who I dont really want to sell) who is one of the best centre backs in the league in the game and can only get loan offers, can't even sell him for nothing.

I'm sure Phil Neville, or Nicky Butt never wanted to leave Man U.

I'm sure they did after years of sitting on the bench, otherwise they would still be sitting on the bench earning a wage for doing nothing - the reason they both moved on was to paly regular first team football.

You can't force out a player under contract, the most you can do is threaten him with not-playing.

CaptainPlanet, I could understand that point if they rejected offers from clubs but Im not getting any offers in the first place.

Yeah that's a problem with the way they've coded the transfer system, clubs won't put a bid in in the first place if they think a player doesn't want to leave.

It is unrealistic, and it should be down to the player rejecting rather than the clubs not bothering to begin with.

The whole system seems a lot better for me but i've never tried selling shay given... But he's a goalie that most teams in the prem would take for £5mil+

The system regarding Newcastle at least has not improved. Before the problem was selling the absolute rubbish (Carr, Cacapa, Smith etc) which has now been fixed, you can get small offers for this caliber of player now but you can't get any offers for a lot of the better players now.

Like I said you cannot get transfer offers for Given, Jonas, Duff, even Collocini....

I'm sure they did after years of sitting on the bench, otherwise they would still be sitting on the bench earning a wage for doing nothing - the reason they both moved on was to paly regular first team football.

You can't force out a player under contract, the most you can do is threaten him with not-playing.

The reason they left was because Alex Ferguson had no further use for them, both used to play regularly enough to keep them happy, and they were both in the England team before they left.

Regarding the transfer system on FM, didn't SI completely rewrite the whole transfer coding? It seems strange that nothing seems to be different.

Im playing with Hull and im struggling to sell. sold Ashbee for €625k but thats it. ive read others have sold him for a few million and have got bids of 10m for Turner. i also presume since the majority who post are British then they are using Sterling, so i should be getting around 13m euro for him.

The reason they left was because Alex Ferguson had no further use for them, both used to play regularly enough to keep them happy, and they were both in the England team before they left.

But they had a choice for as long as they had a contract, like I said you can't be forced out - all you can be is made to feel uncomfortable where you are.

If they had contracts, they could have stayed and sat rotting in the reserves until it ran out, or they could leave and find a new club to play football.

Regarding the transfer system on FM, didn't SI completely rewrite the whole transfer coding? It seems strange that nothing seems to be different.

Yes it's been re-written, and I've noticed a big difference - including the way this whole thread works - in general buying and selling players is a lot easier now compared to FM08.

Indeed.

I usually tend to manage small teams. Now I'm managing Modena in serie B, And I had to release Jorge Bolano on a free transfer in order to get rid of him as no-one wanted him even for free. It cost me 1 million euro!! I was surprised that my board ok'd it though.

But now I have room to bring in a lot of better players.

Well i've had a £17m offer for jonas, so you can get big bids for him, i've had a £20m bid for Coloccini so you can get big bids for him too, i sold duff as well but not for much. So i dont know why you are having this problem but i've been getting big bids for lots of the squad (too many for my liking)

its pre season, I've tried from the start of the game til the window closes to sell Given and Jonas, neither gets a single transfer bid no matter how low I offer them for. I Even did a test with Collocini (who I dont really want to sell) who is one of the best centre backs in the league in the game and can only get loan offers, can't even sell him for nothing.

Why sell Jonas? Play him one season and Inter, Liverpool and Chelsea will be bidding 18 million plus. The guy is amazing.

The selling thing is bizarre. I've started the game at West Ham about 4 times now and I've had a 50% strike rate at selling players. It was an absolute breeze on two games, but the other two times I haven't been able to sell anyone.

I usually transfer list about 10 big name players as soon as I takeover and the first two times I was pretty much able to sell everyone I wanted within a few weeks. However, the other couple of times I haven't been able to sell anyone in the first 9-12 months.

Strangly at any club i go too i am able to shift the dead wood with easy. aswell as getting over zelious offers for my quality players. Im managing in Belgium at the moment with Standard.

But selling players deffinately isnt a problem for me. But from reading the posts here, it seems that it depends on save to save.

Strangly at any club i go too i am able to shift the dead wood with easy. aswell as getting over zelious offers for my quality players. Im managing in Belgium at the moment with Standard.

But selling players deffinately isnt a problem for me. But from reading the posts here, it seems that it depends on save to save.

I wanted to sell Jonas pre season to raise transfer funds, I don't think anyone has sold him or Given in the pre season window, but if anyone has then tell me how.

-put player in reserve team

-transfer list and not wanted by club

-reduce asking price to little or alot under value

-wait 2-3 days

when and if alot of clubs gets intrested offer him out on value or little under.

i sold like 20 players from my lazio team this way very easy to holland,greece,serie b clubs and other all over exept to other serie A clubs

/btw i run 15 countries game 12 in europe and arg,bra

The new transfer code is great, although I've noticed one weird thing. Clubs that are above me (and those who should be, based on reputation and media prediction) are interested in my backup players. I'm playing as Amkar in the Russian league and my season so far has been good. I'm 3rd in the league (predicted to finish 8th). The thing is that CSKA Moscow have just agreed to buy Predrag Sikimic. A guy that I transfer listed on day 1, and who, according to my assistant, is the 4th best striker in the squad :confused: he was loaned out to Kaunas from Lithuania in the first half of the season and did well, but come on, in the Lithuanian league?!

And now Spartak Moscow are interested in my backup DC.

TBH, I am finding it very easy to sell decent/good players. In my Man Utd save I sold Fletcher for £20m over 24 months and in my AC Milan save I sold Nesta for £10m, Kaladze for £8.25m and Bonera for £5m :).

Good for you, nontheless it's still impossible to sell Shay in pre season even for nothing which is totally unrealistic. I'll just deal with it then, doesn't make any sense but whatever.

He's an older keeper, clubs generally don't take interest in them except as short term measures, you're more likely to see interest in him around the time january comes or around the time the summer transfer window comes. That way people will be more interested in a veteran keeper like given and will be more willing to pay the money you want for him. Not to mention, playing him puts him in the shop window.

I sold Sorensen from Stoke to Man Utd for 7.5m in january of the second season and he isnt the best keeper around but his performances warranted their interest. He plays for them now and is only there as a short term measure no doubt until their next keeper comes of age.

I agree it's too difficult to sell players. I just finished my first season with Charlton and managed to get promoted via the playoffs. Trying to clear out a few fringe players in preseason, but I'm not getting any bids.

Tried transfer listing them, then offering to clubs (at $0) but no offers, these are decent league 1 or championship players (eg Darren Ambrose, Mark Hudson) not on overly long contracts or silly wages.

Meanwhile I'm offered all manner of $h1t3 and some decent players daily!!!

The funny part is that I've never had a problem with it...

If a player isn't playing football and just sitting in the reserves, getting old, or just isn't that amazing to begin with, nobody's going to buy them, especially if they're on a big wage.

Anyhow, I just sold my reserve side for around £7 million and I'm about to sell another player for £3.4 mil... I'm not fussed.

No, he isn't.

And, i think the new transfer code is fantastic, far better than previous versions.

Cech conceeds less because he has Terry and Carvalho in front of him doing everything. If i were a player id feel more confident with Given, Friedel or Reina in the nets of my team

Cech conceeds less because he has Terry and Carvalho in front of him doing everything. If i were a player id feel more confident with Given, Friedel or Reina in the nets of my team

Given and Friedel sure they are quality keepers at any team, but Reina is the same as Cech, he has a quality defence to make him look better than he really is :)

On topic though the AI in this version only seems interested in human team players when theyve played 1st football. Im Man City and pre-season despite transfer listing some fringe types like Ball and Glauber i got no offers at all for them, oddly the only player anyone wanted was Elano for less than we bought him for lol

Now almost halfway through the season various teams want Petrov, Richards, Fernandes, Elano, Johnson and a few others cause they have played well i guess.

Also ive noticed as well WAY to many loan offers, i mean how likely is it that we'd loan Elano (a decent player) to Seville for a whole season when all they offered was 50% of his wages, and they asked 4 times as well :eek:

Archived