2D/3D still not representing what's really happening.

The it's your tactics phrase is acctually correct in a way. Problem is just adjusting creative freedom of your strikers can make the defence start playing brilliant and so on. Finding the problem with your tactics can be like playing the lottery, the needed changes are often quite unrealistic considering what your original tactical problem was.

If your team is not performing as you like, say you have problems conceding too much. Most of the time it will not help tuning your defence, most of the time it is something seemingly unrelated.

By february results had been good, but we played like crap. I decided to turn creative freedom up to 18 for all midfielders and strikers.

After I did this my defenders suddenly started playing like gods in one on ones or 2 vs 2 situations. before they were running around like decapitated chickens.

After telling all the offensive players to do whatever they see fit, the defenders suddenly understood they were supposed to try stopping the oppenments when they tried attacking.

Well atleast I have managed to get my team to play like the unbeaten Arsenal team from 03/04. Looks great and we totally dominate the opponments. Just beat Man Utd 3-0 H league, 3-1 H CL quater and I could easily have won with twice or tree times that margin in both games. Then have been as good as invincible all season. But now they are tired and moral is bad at Old Trafford. I might win the league afterall.

Added from my later reply since I forgot to mention what I said in the headline.

it a mix between the representation and the engine. So many time in the 2D/3D you know what you see is not what really happend. They have the gist of where the ball and the players were. but what they do is not really what happened sort of speak. Hard to explain if you haven't seen it yourself. You have to use ur imagination a bit in "most cases" of what really happened.

When you see your player run away from the ball that is just infront of him and instead let the opposition thats 6 metrs away from the ball get it.

your player didn't really run 8 meters to the left when the ball was 1 meter in front of him and he should have easily picked it up. Instead the opposition that was 6 meters away from the ball pick it up. This really just represent that the opp player won the dual. Thats what I mean with 2D/3D not representative.

What you see as the problem in 2D/3D is not the problem at all, you may think your DMC is drunk looking at the 2D/3D while infact it migt be the 2 midfielders infront of him thats really the problem.

I've been moaning sporadically about the sliders for years. My current tactic had seriously problems with my striker smashing in long shots from 25-40 yards out almost every time he got the ball. It turns out, after alot of frustration and a visit to the T&TT forums that my creative freedom was too high and my tempo too quick.

Surely my strikers long shots being set to rarely should've overruled any possible contradictions?

Apparently not and this is why sliders don't work. They need to be more consistent in what they mean. Hopefully though this will be sorted in the next patch/future versions as the relationship between sliders and the match engine improved dramatically this version. It's just a little disappointing that it's not quite there yet. :(

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=61144

Read that.

I've never really "got" the slider system but that does a great job of explaining it.

Yeah, yeah. I have read it. well very fast.

But you should be able to tune you tactics from what you see in 2D/3D. You can in most cases just disregard what was wrong with what you saw in the D's last match. Coz what you saw as a clear problem wasn't really the problem at all.

For instance you fullbacks are getting caught all the time by through balls and let their wingers get to many crosses in. You would think the solution would be lowering fullbacks mentallity and/or forward runs. But that won't help. It turns out you can just turn up creative freedom on some forwarders and suddenly your defenders get full control.

Your DM can seem to be out of position all the time and not doing any tackling when the ball is in his area. Solution might be have fullback take MORE forward runs. suddenly the DM understands his job.

I do have to add that FM09 is still the best footie manager game ever made. I just try to stay critical and keep SI on their toes.

Archived