The *Official* "Steam sucks" thread!

Ok, that's just enough!

I'm playing CM/FM series since CM1! We 've tolerated the moving of user data folder outside the main FM folder (in Documents and Settings\user\Sports Interactive\yeah_right_I_found_it\...) but what were you thinking when you decided to add the Steam application in FM 2009? Can we just install our game properly in our desired folder and handle the rest ourselves? Why should we always open Steam and see these stupid advertisements? No, I don't wanna buy Left 4 Dead, I don't wanna play Halflife, I just wanna play Football Manager! And If you'd like an activation system you could make one on your own.

ps1.Btw Steam didn't work, I've seen dozens of pirated versions everywhere.

ps2.Not to mention the activation problems that occured.

ps3.Hmmmm, can someone tell me where is my Football Manager 2009 folder located now after the...erhhh..."Steam Download"?

I activated through STEAM just fine, although I had to wait a little while due to the server overload. Since then, I haven't opened it once because I don't need to. I'll open it the next time there's an update. It's convenient being able to take the updates so easily. Can't personally say that STEAM sucks because I haven't experienced any major problems. Judging by the problem some people have had, though, I get the impression it's far from perfect.

Ok, that's just enough!

I'm playing CM/FM series since CM1! We 've tolerated the moving of user data folder outside the main FM folder (in Documents and Settings\user\Sports Interactive\yeah_right_I_found_it\...) but what were you thinking when you decided to add the Steam application in FM 2009? Can we just install our game properly in our desired folder and handle the rest ourselves? Why should we always open Steam and see these stupid advertisements? No, I don't wanna play Halflife, I just want to play Football Manager! And If you'd like an activation system you could make one on your own.

ps1.Btw Steam didn't work, I've seen dozens of pirated versions everywhere.

ps2.Not to mention the activation problems that occured.

ps3.Hmmmm, can someone tell me where is my Football Manager 2009 folder located now after the...erhhh..."Steam Download"?

Umm you know if you bought the boxed version you can install and activate it without goin through steam at all? Prolly cheaper as well...

@ps1 - steam wasnt introduced to stop piracy; that was the unilock protection. Steam was used as an ALTERNATE distribution method which many people (myself included) have found to be a much better way to obtain the game.

@ps3 - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009. Create a shortcut to fm.exe and you never have to open up steam again - simple

I agree about Steam sucking!

I installed the game and used Steam initially then when I realised what it was I immediately removed it completely as it was a worthless piece of software in my opinion.

Everyone will have a different opinion regarding it and each to their own but my main gripe was why did SI use Steam to buy the game when they don't even deal in sterling!!!!

So we buy it from them and have to rely on the banks exchange rate do we, blimey SI get a company that at least uses our currency next time please!

I had no problem with purchasing via Steam, instant activation and patching on 14th November worked a treat and I would recommend it.

I run the game via the fm2009.exe file and created a new desktop shortcut so that FM doesn't run through Steam every time I load the game, so I get no adverts etc.

I didn't buy it from Steam, I used Steam to activate it and get the patch. I then uninstalled it.

I did buy a boxed version, maybe I didn't make that clear....or then again.

My point was that for SI to introduce its client base to a company that doesn't even use sterling to me was poor. Just my opinion.

Archived