Retiring a squad number?

OK, so I know this feature is meant to be in the game, but how do I do it? Giggs has retired after 20 seasons running up and down the wing, and it's only fair that the 11 shirt be retired in his honour. Trouble is, I can't for the life of me see how to do it.

Little help?

No clue, I did see that on the Man City team the NO23 is retired. How to do this, no idea.

I believe that the City retired the NO23 shirt in real life in the honour of Marc-Vivien Foe (RIP). So this would be included in the game. It's like AC Milan retired the NO6 shirt after Franco Baresi retired beacuse of his service to the club.

Think its only available after certain amount of years of service. but as in playing time. So Giggs has retired after like 1 or 2 seasons but the game would probably want it to be like 8 years but does not realise that Giggs has been there longer even though you only started in 2008.

Well, that sucks. Could do with fixing, to be honest. I guess I'll just have to do what I did in 08 and just retire it unofficially. No news items for me :(

wonder if ac milan will retire poblo maldinis shirt after his long term commintment to the club

I seem to remember AC Milan saying that they will retire his shirt unless his son becomes a professionel (currently in AC Milan youth team I think) and therefore he would take the number 3 shirt.

EDIT: Darth Boddle beat me :(

Shirt retirements are silly. How can you prove that a number 6 (Baresi case) or a number 3 (Maldini case) were not better back in the 1920s, 30s or 40s?

Its a tough argument to put forward.

I believe shirt numbers are not generally retired on the basis of performance, but on the level of commitment shown by an individual to their club; for example, as you've said, Maldini, and in Inters case Facchetti.

So that criteria could be proven, as far back as you mention, just by looking at the club records.

Could a member of the SI team please inform us of how we retire numbers please, because I really want to retire Maldini's number 3 at the end of the season when he retires but it seems like what the OP is saying is that you are not able to because the game doesn't recognise how long the players have been at the club.

Thanks.

wonder if ac milan will retire poblo maldinis shirt after his long term commintment to the club

I was thinking the same thing. You can imagine in a hundred years time what football teams might be like. Theoretically teams could end up playing with 10 shirt numbers retired!

Be good if you could have a fans official number, some Italian team has retired the number 12 just so it can be used soley for the fans. Although it would probably be entirely pointless, would be a nice touch.

So you can't even retire the number in the edtior nor game, unless you just leave it always free, when you assign squad numbers?

and why do players never use their squad numbers given for friendlies ?

..because their match uniforms are being washed. :p

Personally, no big-deal for me... though it is "weird" that they don´t use their official numbers, once assigned.... maybe because of that, to avoid conflicts of players with assigned and non-assigned players... they just make everyone non-assigned and avoid problems. :thup:

Retiring a player number is "ok", but not important for me when playing FM. Like they´ve mentioned.. just simply don´t assign anyone that number... but what effect does it have on the game..... nothing. So.... why does it matter? ;)

So you can't even retire the number in the edtior nor game, unless you just leave it always free, when you assign squad numbers?

and why do players never use their squad numbers given for friendlies ?

For pre-season friendlies squad numbers haven't been registered when the games are played. you may have given the players numbers, but they are still changeable until the league asks for them to be registered.

Shirt retirements are silly. How can you prove that a number 6 (Baresi case) or a number 3 (Maldini case) were not better back in the 1920s, 30s or 40s?

Its a tough argument to put forward.

Because until about 15/20 years ago teams just wore 1-11, there were no squad numbers :)

Be good if you could have a fans official number, some Italian team has retired the number 12 just so it can be used soley for the fans. Although it would probably be entirely pointless, would be a nice touch.

Portsmouth has this too.

• 5 weeks later...

So what's the official verdict on retiring numbers, how can this be done? Do you really just have to remain as club's manager for a while and then you get the option to do it?

I'm playing with Lyon right now and for them number 16 should be retired but isn't. I'd like to be able to fix this.

Retiring shirt numbers is daft, imo.

Football Clubs will last for 100's of years (or more); and in that time they'll have many, many "servants" of the club. If they keep retiring squad numbers; they'll eventually have none left.

Football Clubs will last for 100's of years (or more); and in that time they'll have many, many "servants" of the club. If they keep retiring squad numbers; they'll eventually have none left.

That's fine but it doesn't answer my question.

Anyone know how to retire a number?

What would you actually benefit from retiring a number in the game? It's not like the team will get better, said person (who would've retired) will help the team or anything. It's not like retiring a number will have any impact on the team's performance or even morale I doubt, nor would it have any bearing on future seasons other than the obvious fact that you can't assign anyone to it.

Seriously, have some fun with yourself as the guy behind the screen - simply don't give anyone the number 6 shirt or whatever it may be. Sure it would be cool, but you don't really need such a feature as it wouldn't make the game any better tactically.

Not really. Many players will come and go, all at different levels of reputation and skill, but only a few will actually deserve to have their number retired. This obviously comes down to their individual case with the club. Otherwise, clubs by now will have ran out of numbers in real life, don't you think? Football has been around for more than 100 years, and I'm sure your aware of that.

As to the OP, I am interested in finding out how to retire a shirt number as well. My guess would be that after a certain amount of years are triggered due to the players stay at a club, only then will you be given the option? Of course this wouldn't work for current generation players. A response from an SI staff would be appreciated.

It would be nice to have this feature. Game can limit it maybe up to 10 numbers, or it may be so that you can retire only one number in a decade.

Also I would like to see number have an effect on player morale. Lets say you buy C.Ronalda to Real Madrid. He wants 7 but Raul has it. Give 7 to Ronaldo and hewill be smiling while Raul is furious or give Ronnie 77 and Ronaldo will not be most happy person while Raul is feeling good.

Also I would like to see number have an effect on player morale. Lets say you buy C.Ronalda to Real Madrid. He wants 7 but Raul has it. Give 7 to Ronaldo and hewill be smiling while Raul is furious or give Ronnie 77 and Ronaldo will not be most happy person while Raul is feeling good.

That already happens.

• 2 months later...

So anyone found how to retire squad numbers in the game ? (don't really care abt the debate on wether it's usefull or not...)

It's a possibility given in the game, and i would like to use it :)

Think its only available after certain amount of years of service. but as in playing time. So Giggs has retired after like 1 or 2 seasons but the game would probably want it to be like 8 years but does not realise that Giggs has been there longer even though you only started in 2008.

Yeah, thats pretty much it. So people that are aging, have been at your club for ages and are retiring soon, but were already at that stage in the first couple of seasons, you wont get this opportunity.

It would be nice to have this feature. Game can limit it maybe up to 10 numbers, or it may be so that you can retire only one number in a decade.

In the Spanish league you have to give your first team squad the numbers 1-25 so that would be impossible ;)

But I see what you mean and I agree :thup:

Archived