A question for the developers

As a Computer Science student (don't laugh, I work a 40 hour week and get taxed as well) I've always wondered about getting into game development in the future, after making a couple of games and enjoying the experience. From most of my studies I've discovered that the majority of games out today are written in C++, with a couple written in C# nowadays, but after poking around on the FM disk I noticed a couple of Java related files, which leads me to this question:

What is FM written in, and if it is Java, why?

As a Computer Science student (don't laugh, I work a 40 hour week and get taxed as well) I've always wondered about getting into game development in the future, after making a couple of games and enjoying the experience. From most of my studies I've discovered that the majority of games out today are written in C++, with a couple written in C# nowadays, but after poking around on the FM disk I noticed a couple of Java related files, which leads me to this question:

What is FM written in, and if it is Java, why?

I know in the past the developers have confirmed fm is written in c++ and when they advertised for new developers c++ experience was needed, think java would be way too slow at least for the majority of the code. I havent checked this version but I know the installer used to be written in java (or at least required the java virtual machine to run), maybe the files are to do with that.

Its written in C++, the installer is written in Java and ironically is the least portable part of the game.

Java isn't as slow as it is made out to be, its VM environment might have caused problems in the 90s but these days it should run fine for 99% of applications. Indeed, Microsoft is very focused on promoting all new development on the .NET Framework, which is essentially the same idea as Java.

Its written in C++, the installer is written in Java and ironically is the least portable part of the game.

Java isn't as slow as it is made out to be, its VM environment might have caused problems in the 90s but these days it should run fine for 99% of applications. Indeed, Microsoft is very focused on promoting all new development on the .NET Framework, which is essentially the same idea as Java.

Yeah i remember when the first demo came out with the java installer, so many "why isnt it installing you suck si!!!!!!!!!!!!" posts here and at thedugout.

Archived