Fm 2007 > fm 2009

I have gone past the point of frustration with fm 2009 already, SI trying to fob loads of us off about system requirements when i've been running the same 2d engine for years, and i triple the requirements stated on the box anyway.

So slow and unresponsive, 6 clicks before anything happens and at the same time my computer sounds like it's going to blow.

So i dug out fm 2007 this afternoon, patched it up and got all the graphics and it brought back the days of danny rose and the amazing siple skin for example. The game is running so well and match days are so smooth.

Ultimately though, i'm really sad because i get excited every year for the release of fm and deep down i look at the new disc with dispair that i can't play it properly.

FM 2007 is already reminding me after only a couple of hours how addicted i used to get to the game. I would get addicted this year most likely, but the build of the game seems old fashioned, not our systems! If my laptop doesn't support 3d, (which i don't mind and i understand why) why does it still take 20 seconds to set up a game, and then when going to make a sub it does it all over again!

So frustrating, i hope you guys are having a better time!

i agreee

7.02 fm 2007 was good. also good balance in game and could be played for long sessions like 20+ sesons. fm 2008 never had that

i am only little more then halfway through first seson on fm 2009 and i played for 3 days now hehe. takes time to watch all the games:)

i agreee

7.02 fm 2007 was good. also good balance in game and could be played for long sessions like 20+ sesons. fm 2008 never had that

i am only little more then halfway through first seson on fm 2009 and i played for 3 days now hehe. takes time to watch all the games:)

Yea fm07 was nice, the match engine just felt more logical to me somehow l knew more how to correct problems I was having.

The only wierd thing about 07 was the way you would be offered the england job after winning 2 promotions for the bsp to league 1.

Yea fm07 was nice, the match engine just felt more logical to me somehow l knew more how to correct problems I was having.

The only wierd thing about 07 was the way you would be offered the england job after winning 2 promotions for the bsp to league 1.

If that were true, we'd now have Gary Johnson as England manager. Imagine how great that would be!

Just another 'One Post Moaner'

I have never had or felt the need to post on any football manager forum to complain about the game because i love it so much, but this year it's already picking up dust.

So i'm not moaning, loads of people are having the same problem and dissapointment.

The great thing about football manager and championship manager before it was the fact that nearly every pc and laptop owner knew they could play the game to an enjoyable level in some way, shape, or form. Either way you always found out what your system could handle. Where as this year people seem to be having such random experiences even with good specs. Last year i was running 3 full detail leagues on a large database, and this year i cant even enjoy the 2d engine on a small database with one league.

I refuse to accept that the game and its features have developed so much in a year that my laptop can no longer handle the game. I have even tried running the lower end graphics on windows, ridiculous things like that which people shouldn't have to do.

I wish more than anyone i could play the game, so dont call me a one post moaner please, i'm trying to come to terms with a big hole left in my life not being able to play the latest installment!!!

i love 09, i loved 08, but i must admit, i adored 07!!

it is still my favourite FM game and I was playing it again last night (just won the K-League with Seongnam and my star US born/South Korean international striker Edgar Liro whom i drafted while at Salt Lake and brought to S.Korea with me).

I think 07 will also remain my faviourite beacuse it has the best a-league and was easiest to edit a massive Australian Premier League into.

having said that, I do still love 09 and no doubt will be playing it again tonight :)

FM 2007 absolutely rules all. I played FM 2008, couldn't get into it at all, tried FM 2009 demo, wasn't impressed after it froze itself on me before I had even got to a match. So I went back to FM 2007, installed it on my new quad core 3gb ram PC, patched it up, downloaded september 2008 data update and started a new game and I LOVE it.

I have about 47 leagues running with a large database, it runs very fast even with that amount of leagues and players and I am managing a team now in a league which I have never managed before in on FM. Started unemployed, applied for a Swedish team in the Swedish 2nd division, they offered me the job and I was appointed half way through the season. Finished 5th in that season and in the 2nd season I am 3 games from the end and I have just won the league :D FM 2007 is defanitly my favourite FM of all time without a shadow of a doubt and the fact I can run around 50 leagues on a large database with no slowdown at all makes it even sweeter.

Loads of players to scout and talent to find, can manage in around 10+ countries and I can't really think of a bug I have encountered in the game.

FM 2007 absolutely rules all. I played FM 2008, couldn't get into it at all, tried FM 2009 demo, wasn't impressed after it froze itself on me before I had even got to a match. So I went back to FM 2007, installed it on my new quad core 3gb ram PC, patched it up, downloaded september 2008 data update and started a new game and I LOVE it.

I have about 47 leagues running with a large database, it runs very fast even with that amount of leagues and players and I am managing a team now in a league which I have never managed before in on FM. Started unemployed, applied for a Swedish team in the Swedish 2nd division, they offered me the job and I was appointed half way through the season. Finished 5th in that season and in the 2nd season I am 3 games from the end and I have just won the league :D FM 2007 is defanitly my favourite FM of all time without a shadow of a doubt and the fact I can run around 50 leagues on a large database with no slowdown at all makes it even sweeter.

Loads of players to scout and talent to find, can manage in around 10+ countries and I can't really think of a bug I have encountered in the game.

Exactly my friend.

What it has/had is/was the perfect balance between reality and enjoyment. I also think that's what the game has lost. I am obsessed with realism, but at the same time i want a game that can make me hold press conferences in the shower for example. I remember when i made febien brandy an england international, and he became captain, an amazing save game i had back then.

Ultimately, (and i fear a backlash hear) i am gutted at the choice to make a 3d engine. I think SI have given into the demands of a younger audience who don't realise the true beauty of the game. It took me a while to get used to 2d, but then i realised it was even more amazing that just the text, it's such a quality match engine they use, and your imagination can still run wild, what is the need to go 3D? I honestly don't see the point, and i think they are suffering for it now. Yeah yeah they are probably raking in the profits still, but they should still want to make sure that the product they release is pure quality like it used to be. I'm afraid now that it isn't, it's sluggish and heavy.

There are also little parts of the game that have annoyed me for a couple of years that i find quite annoying. I got sick of my big players getting unsettled by constant attention from other managers, and constant enquieries. Now that's all well and good i know teams do it (madrid,cough!) but what isn't realistic is all my players wanting to leave asap!

I now have to wait for a 2nd patch to see if the frame rate and processing speeds for a 2D engine has improved....

I have gone past the point of frustration with fm 2009 already, SI trying to fob loads of us off about system requirements when i've been running the same 2d engine for years, and i triple the requirements stated on the box anyway.

So slow and unresponsive, 6 clicks before anything happens and at the same time my computer sounds like it's going to blow.

So i dug out fm 2007 this afternoon, patched it up and got all the graphics and it brought back the days of danny rose and the amazing siple skin for example. The game is running so well and match days are so smooth.

Ultimately though, i'm really sad because i get excited every year for the release of fm and deep down i look at the new disc with dispair that i can't play it properly.

FM 2007 is already reminding me after only a couple of hours how addicted i used to get to the game. I would get addicted this year most likely, but the build of the game seems old fashioned, not our systems! If my laptop doesn't support 3d, (which i don't mind and i understand why) why does it still take 20 seconds to set up a game, and then when going to make a sub it does it all over again!

So frustrating, i hope you guys are having a better time!

Hey, that's exactly what I've done yesterday, rolled back to the old FM07 after I found out that FM 09 was too 'heavy' for my PC..

FM 07 rules!!

I hate FM 09!! :thdn:

I definitely share the same view as those that prefer FM 07. I personally don't have FM 09 and don't plan on getting it until after the 2nd patch is released for several reasons. I am however tempted to install FM 2007 again and just give it another whirl. After 7.0.2, the game was very good as far as I remember and was very well into it. I couldn't do the same with FM 2008, at least not for a long term game.

Ah, decisions.

Well what do you expect ? FM2007 would have been coded to run on hardware now 3 years old. I expect if we ran FM2009 on hardware in 3 years time it would run like a dream.

I do think you have a point in perhaps the direction of the game. The effort put into a 3d match engine is in my view a waste of time. While it certainly does do the job and is somewhat impressive I could certainly live without it. After a while you have the seen it done it a bit like the press conferences and team talks you just end up going through the actions without any thought.

They could have spent the time to focus more on the league engine to improve the performance allowing us to run more leagues.

I've got 1gb of ram and a cheap 256mb GEFORCE graphics card I got off ebay for like $30, and the game runs smoothly.

Even better now that I have a skin for it as well.

In terms of actual visual play, they really upped it.

Way more realistic in terms of passing it back to the keeper, the two CB's pushing up, etc.

Although long shots actually going in is alot more frequent than any FM titles before, I think it's awesome to see.

And free kicks seem to go in alot more which is more realistic.

Besides the few graphical glitches (somehow having 14 players on my tactics, the match screen itself,) it's easily the best FM ever.

The transfer system is perfect now; although the amount of loans with fee's is kinda ridiculous, but I suppose that's better.

Just another 'One Post Moaner'

So the point in the original post would be more valid if I'd posted it?

Fwiw, FM09 runs perfectly fine on my PC, but I agree that FM07 was a lot less irritating, and still stands as my all-time favourite in the series. Well, apart from the version Rossonerilegion is playing anyway...

Bollox, FM 2009 is clearly better. I have basic laptop too and the game runs fine!

Well congrats about that, but you are clearly in a minority surely. Even si say that basic laptops shouldnt run the game fine. Even people with great specs are having trouble, it all seems a bit random at the moment.

I'm really getting into an 07 game, i just hope the next patch for 09 helps the game out a bit, somehow i just don't see it's going to happen to the point of me loving it :(

Ive never had so many problems with any managerial games, FM09 has been a big let down so far for me. I know its still early days and theres bound to be teething problems but I think this STEAM thing has made things a whole lot harder for people who just want to sit down and relax for a few hours

Finally managed to get myself online yesterday (I bought the game on the 14th) and it wasnt all I expected

So I agree FM07 and FM08 win hands down

Unfortunately the minimum specs have had to raise a bit this year - I suspect because there is a lot more going on under the hood. The work on improving the ball physics is one example - I imagine there were a lot of things that could be ignored when there was only a 2D engine that have required a lot more code to go in to do properly now that there is a 3D option. Where shortcuts or workarounds may have been possible in the past, things would need to be a lot more rigorous now.

FM did well to resist upping the ante in terms of specs for as long as it did, but I'm afraid it was inevitable one day :(

And when FM07 was released we had scores of people vowing never to buy it again, because the fun wasn't there etc. and they were going to stick/go back to FM05/FM06.

Doesn't make the OP's point any less valid, but to be honest we get this every year.

I think there is a point to be made about how difficult it is to get into a rhythm on this version. On all the previous versions, you could always fit in another game and before you knew it you'd done an eight hour sesh. It has historically been very addictive. I'm finding with this one that I'm less inclined to stay on it for one more match . This is largely due to the ridiculous loading time required when you go to the match. It is a lot more stop/start. I'm sure that this is not the case for people with bleeding edge technology with 5 googlebytes of ram but for a more casual user, like myself, it is an issue.

I think the ME in 07 was perfect. Although it took me a while to get used to it at first. The sliders really worked. You could change your tactics and see them working.

FM08 improved the general gameplay, but ruined the match engine for me. I still can't work out how to get my tactics adhered to. Apart from general shape, the players seem to do what they want and regularly do something monumentally stupid. It never feels like the other team scored, more like we had just gifted them a goal.

So I would like FM09 to be FM08 with FM07's match engine. It doesn't sound like it is from what I've read though.

FM07 was the best edition for various reasons.

1. System specs were available and easy to understand.

2. You didn't need to produce silly results to work on tactics as they were simple to adhere to as they are irl.

How many teams send out the same players in a standard formation wk in, wk out?

Barring Liverpool you can name the Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, etc squads without seeing total modifications to their positions like you gotta do in FM.

3. The processing speeds were quicker and a season could end quicker. I had times where it was taking me 20mins to process a close season on FM08 and in FM09 goign through a match week takes ages! This never happened in FM07.

4. Interaction in teams was more basic. True its better now but its repetitive. The same press questions and same player gets happy when you say something nasty and gets sad when you say something good...plus you can't say anything remotely obvious like "I think you should pass to x a bit more" or "What would make you happy?".

I do feel also that with FM07 fixes were easier, you didnt have to wait ages or be treated as some kind of demon just for asking for one/some.

I have couple of friends of have macbooks (they didn't have the money to buy the Macbook Pro), and they really thrown away, because their macbooks don't run the game. FM was great game, because it ran even in computers that had 5 or more years, I read once in macrumors a year or 2 ago, that FM07 would run on Macmini.

I personally don't like much the 3D and the match engine feels unreal to me, perhaps playing too much FM07? Don't know, but What I Do know that I don't really enjoy playing FM09 like I am playing FM07, even two years later.

To resume I only going to say:

SI The best game you ever invented was FM07!

Unfortunately the minimum specs have had to raise a bit this year - I suspect because there is a lot more going on under the hood. The work on improving the ball physics is one example - I imagine there were a lot of things that could be ignored when there was only a 2D engine that have required a lot more code to go in to do properly now that there is a 3D option. Where shortcuts or workarounds may have been possible in the past, things would need to be a lot more rigorous now.

FM did well to resist upping the ante in terms of specs for as long as it did, but I'm afraid it was inevitable one day :(

It's a poorly optimized game. Whatever physics there are 'under the hood' it's still rendering 22 bigger dots chasing a smaller dot around on a static square. Yet we need a powerful graphics card, a capable processor and plenty of RAM for it to be anywhere near smooth. If I can run graphics intensive games on my computer I'd at least expect this not to be jerky.

The 2D of FM 09 looks exactly the same as FM 08. And it's not like the 3D is some kind of cutting edge technology either, it looks outdated by at least 5 years. The requirements for 09 are not justified in any way.

Also a quick note. On FM07 when you had match you would go to your tactics screen where it presented every player, for the exception of those where on loan. On FM09 that doesn't happen, the loan players appear on the tactics, which is somewhat useless, because what I'm going to do with loan players on the match screen? I can't put them to play for my team. The other is the logos being showed on match screen instead of jerseys. I love the jerseys on match screen, that was big disappointment in my view.

lol i started reading this thread while i was playing a stupid friendly in my fm09 game(commentary only)....got to the last post....and match is still the 1st half :-D

And Chris Ritchie...talking about optimisation for a videogame that shud come with the SECOND patch is just ridicolous.People buy videogames not patches

A friend of mine who bought FM09 and I have to tell him that patch existed for game. Basically he's like the majority of people play the game they bought.

I have to say that today I'm somewhat sick and tired of companies who produce and make games nowdays. We release it that day even with bugs then we put some patches. It is like you buy a car and it has bug that the breaks don't work properly and the steering wheel tilts slightly to the right and you turn on the radio, but patch eventually will be released to fix those bugs. Would you buy such a car?

Sincerelly I would preferably like to wait a few more weeks for the game without bugs, then earlier with bugs. But that is my opinion.

Ok in no way in FM 07 or 08 better than 09 but i too have gone back to playing 08 with updated databases. FM 09 i feel is wonderful and quite easily the best game in the series till now but it is a bit too slow for me too. Even watching the match only in commentry takes time for me. Probably because my PC is crap but the game is brilliant but just not too compatible for most people. So im back to 08 :D...great game that!

It's a poorly optimized game. Whatever physics there are 'under the hood' it's still rendering 22 bigger dots chasing a smaller dot around on a static square. Yet we need a powerful graphics card, a capable processor and plenty of RAM for it to be anywhere near smooth. If I can run graphics intensive games on my computer I'd at least expect this not to be jerky.

The 2D of FM 09 looks exactly the same as FM 08. And it's not like the 3D is some kind of cutting edge technology either, it looks outdated by at least 5 years. The requirements for 09 are not justified in any way.

On optimisation ive yet to see efficient coding in games industry in general thats why we are forced into the power game to run them ie baddest graphics/CPU for the grunt work.

The thing is one oversight is always been motherboard this is the real guts of pc's they delegate the work and good un for the required job is a must.

As FM been really minimal graphics game but massive number cruncher games machines really useless for FM. Thats why gamers experienced issues. With calls well it plays fallout 3 like a dream but FM runs like a dog. Its bottleneck as the motherboard just cannot delegate vast numbercrunches fast enough. When I bought my system I knew I would play FM so I went got server system which is designed at number crunching. My server board is fantastic at running FM and runs FM2008 despite my CPU not being nowhere to its standard. I have problems with the recomended as it just gives me 1 league but the system handless 12 at large database without a hitch.

Now here lies a massive issue for SI for this 3d direction they are now going into game environment but the game still gonna need number crunching grunt that only server motherboards can handle superfast speeds unless you get top system which just pushes so fast it basically forces through bottlenecks.

I merely see why people have problems with FM and no doubt why some say there not an issue with fm2009 and others are.

I personally dont own fm2009 but there was slight jerk in the demo apart from that it run efficient. My problem was weak graphics card 5600 which I believe should not have even touched it in 3d.

Some will have got ready built game systems from shops etc although good for gaming and have the fastest CPU they got weak motherboards. These motherboards are tendency to be slow at dlegation information hence bottlenecks. Some buy the cheaper CPU the one without full chipset codes this has massive effect in non gaming workload. Guess what FM need the the non gaming workload the chipset what handles spreadsheat data lightining speeds. I never treat FM as game to me its a spreadsheet and need spreadsheet power machine to work at its best.

These things have a massive effect yes si can do so much to tighten code but in the end we have to do our bit and buy CPU's full chipset a fast motherboard over a powerfull CPU/graphics card. Balancing a system to the type of gaming/work it will be done is a must.

There is so much misconseption that people need the most powerful CPU/GRAPHIC card. Its fulled by the industry so we pay money to get the latest which if you do your homework is not needed.

Archived