How do you organise your squad?

How do you organise your senior team, reserves and youth team?

how many players do you have for each position in the first team and how many games do you give the players to keep them happy?

how do you organise your reserves/youth team for the future? do you recruit youngsters, if so how and how many?

I like to read and get some ideas off other people about these 3 areas :thup:

I always make sure I have at least 3 possible options for each position on the pitch. That doesn't mean I have 3 MC's and 3 DL's etc, but instead have a number of players that cover many areas. For example, my DL is actually also a DC, ML, and DWB. So that means I only need 2 more MC's, ML's and DWB's. Hope this makes sense! :)

I have to admit though, I am useless with my reserve and under 18 squads. I tend to ignore them.

I play a 3 2 3 2 formation, so I normally have my first choice back 3 with 2 spare players (normally one from my 'youth' team and another talented youngster, I have three players for my 2 man defensive midfield partnership, again the third is a hot prospect for the future, then I have 5 attackers,and upto 4 subs for them. My first team play most games and the others come on as subs.

I buy a lot of young players 10+ each season and place them into my training and then allow them to raise through the ranks

I do the same as SY13, but I do pay considerable attention to my reserves and youth.

In my first team squad I have 2 for each position, with a third option in the reserves, usually an up-and-coming kid. The rest of the squad will be padded with youngsters in the mould of the Arsenal youth squad (hopefully!)

I like to keep my Reserve Team squad only for players that are currently on loan and have everyone else in my first team squad.

My ideal squad setup would be to have one backup for each position that is +/- 5 to 8 years the age of the first teamer, so for example a 26 year old fullback would ideally be backed up by a player that is 18 to 21 and capable of putting in a good performance in the first team. A 23 year old first choice fullback is in my opinion best backed up by a 30 year old veteran for a couple of seasons, because buying in a good young player around the age of 19 as backup is only a waste of talent at this stage, unless the guy is a season or two away from being top class.

I also tend to have little sympathy towards a mid 20s player that is second choice and will look to sell these players in favour of youth. I would have no qualms about selling a second choice 26 year old striker if his performances are poor throughout the season in order to purchase an 19 year old replacement and custom build an under-18 side.

Ideally I have about 25 to 30 players in my first team squad with none in my reserves. 25% of these or more will be under the age of 21. No player in the squad should be unable to handle the reserve games and players over 18 should be capable of putting in a solid performance in the first team when his time comes.

i usually go for 21-23 players in my first team, making sure there are a couple of utility players amongst that lot. I tend to play lower league so a smaller squad means more wages for each player when the budget is tight. When playing as a better team I have no hard and fast rule for reserve and youth players, just tend to keep whoever is worth holiding onto.

As I play lower league, I keep my squad fairly trim.

I have quite an overly organised first team, with 22 people with 2 people who are "natural" in each 4-4-2 position.

I then have 11 u18s one in each position.

Reserves are made up of the u18s and the people who aren't planned to be in my starting 11 in the first team.

I'm very strict with my squad organisation:

First team squad

Just the 11 first teamers, plus a handful of rotational players who are on the bench but generally always get some match time. The age of this first team group is usually 22 and older, but never more than about 28, 29. Generally I'm aiming for just one player per position (not counting versatile players who can play multiple positions - that's a bonus)

Reserves

This lot comprises all players who don't get regular first team appearances. Again, I tend to try and keep this fairly slimline, in that the squad should essentially just have 1 back up to the first team for each position. This includes:

* Any 21-22 year olds, who are first team subs bench players and on the verge of making it into the team regularly, but not often enough to get regular match time. Usually when I have players in this group, I'm considering selling my first team regular in a season or 2 to make way for the younger player.

* All players who are too old for the u18s, but still a few years from being considered first teamers. This lot I tend to send out on loan to my feeder clubs or any other club who will take them, providing they are getting first team football (recall clause always included, also helpful for an injury crisis)

* Any players who are on loan acquiring Work Permits in Belgium/Spain.

* Any players who I'm looking to sell and can't get rid of via offering them for free or terminating by mutual consent.

u18s

Obviously just the u18s and again streamlined, 1 player per position, but with a couple of extras as subs.

The rules I tend to stick by are:

* Every player I buy is to replace someone in a targetted age group/position. If I buy someone in the same age group/position as an existing player, then I only do so if they are clearly better, and then sell the weaker of the two (with sell on fees and buy backs where possible). This is the same whether I'm replacing a first teamer with a world class star, or an u18 player fighting for the same spot. I don't like redundancy. I want to focus full attention on one player per position when training, so that people aren't left to rot.

* First teamers are ALWAYS shown the door if the reserve player looks capable of holding down the first team spot by the time the reserve player has come of age (usually about 22-23)

* If the first team player is still early to mid 20s when a reserve is reaching the cut off point, and the first teamer is clearly better, then the reserve player is sold as he's not ever going to get into the team regularly. Assuming that the equivalent u18 player for that position is 17 or 18 (old enough to go on loan for example), then I promote them and buy in a new u18 player. However, if the u18 player is too young, then I buy in a ready made promising player aged about 19-21 as a ready made replacement for the older player in a season or 2. If that isn't financially possible, then i sign an older experienced cheaper player to perform tutoring and backup for a season or two until I can either get a 18-21 year old player that is financially viable, or preferably, the u18 is old enough to step up.

When my squad is set up right, I always try to focus my attentions on signing u18s in order to bring them through gradually, however this is easier to do at a club like Arsenal where the first team and reserves are high quality already. I also never turn down any obvious first team signings if they can improve the team for the right price, but I try to buy youth and bring them through gradually where possible rather than make wholesale squad changes every season.

For smaller clubs this set up takes longer to develop. Depending on the board's requirements and budget, I will always try to build from the u18s up, but if i have less time to work the magic, I'll also buy ready made first teamers to try and maintain a certain standard in order to keep my job and keep to the short term requirements, while the youth come through.

I guess I'm always trying to keep the squads about 6 years apart in age, but sometimes this isn't always possible if you get a wonderkid who gets into the first team at an early age, and causes havoc for the reserves and youth squads for a period of time where the u18s can't progress past the reserves, causing a bit of a back log, and could cause the reserve and u18 players to only be a few years apart, but everything tends to even out again in the end.

• 4 weeks later...

I like having a small squad. as for my first choice 11's I like my defence line to be pure defence with no wing backs, they all need good qualities at heading, jumping, strength, marking, tackling, concentration, decisions, bravery, positioning.

my midfield is like this: my left midfielder is fast, good at crosses, dribbling, passing the ball and off the ball. My central midfielders are creative, good at making decisions and good at passing the ball. My right midfielder is the same type as the left.

My strikers are like this: one strong target man and one fast.

as for my match substitutes I like this setup.

one keeper (not young)

one central defender with overall average stats (heading, jumping, speed, acceleration)

one central midfielder with good passing ability and creativity aswell decision making.

one fast right midfielder with good cross and passing ability

one fast left midfielder with good cross and passing ability

one attacking midfielder with good long range shots and dribling. if the opponent pushes down his defensive line I will put this player on the field and tell make long range shots and drible through defence.

one striker

I keep my first team squad on the screen without scrolling. That's 2 players for each position and a couple of utility men.

Then I go crazy! I'm one of those gamers who scoop up kids in the hope of nurturing some of them into nextgen stars. My oldest reserves are usually 21, with lots of 18-19 year olds and then I fill my U18s, although many of them graduate to the reserves as the season progresses. It can get out of control with 30+ reserves, at which point I go on a loaning-out/culling spree.

Every season 2-3 of my young reserves break into the first-team squad, maybe getting a dozen or so games and hopefully become regulars as my 30+ warhorses are pensioned off.

I like to have a setup of 1 star player and 1 good rotational player for each position except my midfield.

I have 2 star ST's or FC's and 2 decent rotational ones as well.

My midfield are all interchangeable and I rarely sign them unless they can play AMR/L or AMC/R &/or L. The only exception to this is 2 players who are just pure MC players.

Most injuries I think occur in the midfield so to have options there makes sense through the season.

My backroom staff includes a setup of 7 star coaches for every role with their schedule as light, and the same goes for my youth team making sure working with youngsters is at a minimum of 18.

I have 5 scouts, 2 roaming, 1 world, 1 next opposition and 1 i send to a continent.

I generally try to have my first team with my first choice 11 and 7-8 versatile backups which cover each at least position once.

Reserves and youngsters are generally overloaded once I really get going in a game, as I have a habit of buying anyone my scouts think are even remotely promising. Most never make the grade, but they provide a fair bit of money.

22 in senior squad. I never rotate, instead I play my entire second 11 against weak opposition so that the ratio is more or less = first 11 play 3 matches, second 11 plays 1 match. They all stay match fit that way, and happy. Only changes I make are when I have injuries.

A minimum of 11 players in my reserves. One for each position. Try to keep it to maximum of 15 (for example, sometimes I'll have 2 right-backs who seem just as good so I don't want to let either of them go). Too many players and your better ones will not get as many games as they could be getting, in order to develop. Players who go on loan do not count towards the max size of 15. One friendly arranged or reserve league match for them every week.

Same principal for under-18's as for reserves.

22 in senior squad too. I rotate when a big game is coming up to get "in superb condition" for all my 1st XI and in general rotate like 3 players per match to keep my reserves match fit because there's nothing worse than your player getting injured in training before an important game and your back ups severly lacking in match fitness. I also keep an eye on squad status on each player and keeping the amount of 1st teamers and key players on reasonable level to avoid any disharmony in the squad.

Currently my first-team (Anderlecht) consists of 27 men:

3 GK

Defense: 2DL, 3DR, 5DC

Midfield: 2MR/AMR, 2ML/AML, 2DMC, 1MC, 3AMC

Attack: 4SC

I rotate a lot, and I have many youngsters in my squad, average age is 22 years.

In FM08 this size would've been a problem but in FM09 it seems about just right for me.

I'm playing in Belgium, so my reserve team is actually a -21 team with 24 players in it.

My -19 squad has 28 players.

I have 12 scouts, 4 physio's, 2 youth coaches and 9 coaches, 1 first team coach and 1 ass man.

Archived