4th Season Blues...

Well after finishing 5th two seasons running and winning the League Cup and FA Cup followed by the Community Shield. Now however I find myself done is 17th after 13 games and have scored just 5 goals! WTF!

What can cause this kind of collapse? I have gone from being a champions league challenger to falling apart and fighting for safety. I have bought in more youngsters to keep things fresh and to build up on the squad I have... The only player I have sold is Kranjcar as he had lost his place in the team to Rosicky and I brought in O Hara on a free as back up...

The big difference to my team is the lose of David James, he retired. I decided not to bring in an experienced replacement. I instead decided to promote number 2 Vito Mannone (who I bought off Arsenal in 1st season) his stats have risen really well and has always proven to be a good deputy. This season he has only conceded 9 in 21 games... but could the lose of an influenctial player like James have had an effect on the team? My problem is clearly scoring tho so doesn't make sense...

Cups have so far been fine, beat spurs 4-1 and arsenal on pens in league cup and have easily qualified from uefa cup group stage for the 1st time...

I'm just at a loss as to how things have got so bad...

As I've typed this things are perhaps looking up, winning 2-0 vs West Ham and having finally decided Rodney Sneijder is ready for the first team he has scored and made one on his first appearance for 2 years after spending all that time out on loan...

This sort of thing has happened to me in both of the games I have had a few seasons on in 09. I have started to just switch between some kind of

3-5-2 system and a slight variation of St Dazzles 4-5-1 every couple of seasons to keep the opponents guessing. The only explanation I can think of is that the other teams start sussing you out and you need to change to keep winning.

Would be interesting to know if this is the case or if we are just paranoid and going through bad runs which we should fight out with our existing tactic instead of changing.

I have definitely found that changing tactis as soon as you have a really bad run seems to sort your teams form out.

Archived