Rule or Bug?

I've seen this happen across the FMs thus far and have always been a bit confuzzled by it all. Just now it occured in my current FM09 career and I thought I'd put the question out there.

The ball had gone out for a throw in fairly near the opposing sides corner flag and as my player went to recover the ball for our throw in one of the opposition kicked Henri Saivet who was lurking inside their box ahead of the delivery from the throw.

The referee promptly sent the offender off but no penalty was given so I had to make do with just the man advantage. I still won so no problems there but, as I understand things, I should have been awarded a penalty for a foul inside their box.

Are violent acts somehow exempt from the usual consequence of fouls committed inside the opposing sides box or is this a bug?

As others have said, it's definitely a rule. A great example I remember was the first game of a new Premiership season in the late nineties when Charlton were back in the top flight and playing Newcastle. A corner had been awarded to Charlton and they were waiting to take it when someone kicked a player in the box. The offending (Newcastle) player was sent off, and then the corner was taken. Because the ball was dead, there was no penalty.

Surely it follows the same rule as any "off the ball" incident, I mean, if you start kicking the hell out of an opposition player in the box, meanwhilst the keeper down the other end has the ball, they wouldn't get a penalty from it he'd just be sent off and a drop ball/set piece from back there would occur.

Surely it follows the same rule as any "off the ball" incident, I mean, if you start kicking the hell out of an opposition player in the box, meanwhilst the keeper down the other end has the ball, they wouldn't get a penalty from it he'd just be sent off and a drop ball/set piece from back there would occur.

a alty would be given in those circumstances, it happened in a leeds v forest mathc in the 70s. Leeds had a corner which was cleared and forest launched a quick counter attack. There was some afters in the forest pen box and a leeds player was punched. Linesman flagged and ref brought the ball back for a penalty. Its only when the ball is not in paly as mentioned in the above posts that a freekick cant be given though cards can

The 70's was a long time ago and many rules have changed since then lol, in the 70's depending on the official it was still possible to take the ball off the keeper as he went to kick it and score, not anymore.

I don't think they can give free kicks because of not knowing who instigated it, I can't recall what happened in the zidane incident, but was the ball back in play by the time he headbutted the italian guy? It's the most recent one I can think of.

If the keeper had the ball then the ball would be "in play" other than "not in play" so yes it would be a penalty with that incident.

If the ball was "not in play" other than "in play" then it wouldn't be a penalty.

Simple.

The rule is that if an offence takes place when the ball is in play, no matter where it is on the pitch, then a foul is given where the offence took place (so a penalty if it's in the box). If the ball is out of play and an offence takes place then the game is restarted from wherever it would have had the offence not occured.

A good example is when Dundee United played Hearts last season, a Hearts defender punched a United player in his box just before the ball, which had been cleared after a corner, went out of play for a throw-in. As the ball was still in play, albeit 40 yards away, United were awarded a penalty and the Hearts player sent off.

Archived