When will the substitution 'bug' be fixed ?

Guest AriesUK

Guest AriesUK

When are SI going to add a confirmation dialogue box for substitutions ? As it stands, I can instruct a sub to come on, and in the time between me ordering the sub and the player actually coming on, anything can happen, injuries, sending off etc. I'm pretty sure in a real game of football, if a manager decides to make a sub, and while the sub is getting ready a teammate gets injured or sent off, then the manager is quite able to change his mind and instead make a different substitution.

This has only been the case since fm 2008, as 2007 worked slightly differently. All SI need to do is present us managers a dialogue box or something to confirm a sub when it actually takes place, and this problem will be solved. I know people who refuse to play 08 and now 09 because of this annoying, easily rectified oversight.

Can you imagine Alex Ferguson telling a sub to get ready to come on, and before the ball goes out of play, a player breaks his leg or gets sent off, and the referee says to Fergie 'Sorry mate, your still going to have make the sub you ordered before player x was sent off/injured !!' ?

Why the hell did they change it from how it was in 07? So that when you wanted to make a sub the game waited for next available break in play then presented you with option to sub a player. Makes so much more sense.

You can do it. You have to click cancel changes once the injury has happened and the tactics screen appears. Then the tactics screen will appear again, but without the changes you made before the injury happened. Which then allows you to change your mind and replace the injured player or others if so desired! :)

Happy now? Go tell all your friends :D

You can do it. You have to click cancel changes once the injury has happened and the tactics screen appears. Then the tactics screen will appear again, but without the changes you made before the injury happened. Which then allows you to change your mind and replace the injured player or others if so desired! :)

Happy now? Go tell all your friends :D

Except the cancel changes dialogue box only appears if you dont confirm the subs prior to going back to the game.

I agree with the OP there should be a box which appears when subs occur which asks if you still wish to make them.

Tried to substitute Adebayor in the 62nd minute of a match - had to wait 11 MINUTES until it actually happened. The event that triggered the substitution? An injury to Adebayor.

On the bright side the game did flick back to the tactics screen where I could change my mind if I'd wanted.

Well not for me... Its always there(maybe its a bug that its not there?) . It happened to me earlier. I made changes... to go more defensive and take a few players off(one of them a striker) i confirmed it happy with what i had done, then unfortunately my other striker got injured. So it came back to tactics screen like i said above. i cancelled changed and did them again. annoying thing was that i'd lost the slight adjustments in mentality to some of my players! But i could then change the same players but instead of changing the striker i originally planned i took off the newly injured one after i had confirmed!

• 2 weeks later...

I complained about it in FM08 and the response from SI on the forums was that they probably would put it in next time. I got so ****ed off with the number of times in FM08 I conceded a goal before completing a substitution that I put it to one side and waited for FM09.

In real life, managers can always cancel their sub. The FM system before FM08, where you gave instructions only when gameplay was paused, was much more representative of real life as it meant you made your sub knowing what the score was. And let's face it, does anyone playing FM09 (or FM08) not pause the match while they give their sub instructions?

Thats the only downside. But the OPs thing is do-able.

Only? That's a pretty major only! The way the game works now, you are making a sub without knowing what the score will be when the substitution is executed.

My idea would be a "make sub" button you click, then when play is stopped you THEN decide who the substitution is going to be.

Only for subs - tactics can still be changed as now (although i do also get confused about the delay there - what delay can there be shouting new instructions onto the pitch?)

My idea would be a "make sub" button you click, then when play is stopped you THEN decide who the substitution is going to be.

Only for subs - tactics can still be changed as now (although i do also get confused about the delay there - what delay can there be shouting new instructions onto the pitch?)

sounds like a great idea to me:thup:

Pause the game as the ball goes out of play, then make the change.

Does not work. If you are in a highlight, the game will finish the highlight before allowing the sub. I have watched the ball go out several times before the game finally lets me have a sub. In 08, there were times where I was waiting to make a sub and the opponent actually subbed, and played some, prior to me making my sub.

Absolutely stupid and seemingly and easy thing to fix.

It always takes two highlights before a sub.

I've made substitutions and gone back to the game, the AI has made their substitutions who've come on and scored, which is the second highlight I need to let my players on.

I can just imagine the real-life version of the "got an injury but made all subs" problem. It would involve the fourth official being a bit of a jobsworth ("sorry mate but you've already written the substitute down, can't change it now, if it was up to me you could but I don't make the rules do I") and having his fingers in his ears whilst laaa-ing. "I want to change the substitute, that's yet to come on, for someone else please"; "Laaalaaalala not listening lalalalaaa" .... "Oh he's come on now, sorry I didn't realise you were trying to change it".

Ho hum. FM12 maybe.

Thats the only downside. But the OPs thing is do-able.
It always takes two highlights before a sub.

I've made substitutions and gone back to the game, the AI has made their substitutions who've come on and scored, which is the second highlight I need to let my players on.

I can just imagine the real-life version of the "got an injury but made all subs" problem. It would involve the fourth official being a bit of a jobsworth ("sorry mate but you've already written the substitute down, can't change it now, if it was up to me you could but I don't make the rules do I") and having his fingers in his ears whilst laaa-ing. "I want to change the substitute, that's yet to come on, for someone else please"; "Laaalaaalala not listening lalalalaaa" .... "Oh he's come on now, sorry I didn't realise you were trying to change it".

Ho hum. FM12 maybe.

Until the sub takes to the pitch, then in real life managers can and do change their mind. You see it all the time - one team scores or there is an injury that needs assessing and the manager cancels, changes or even delays the sub who was waiting to come on. It would need more than a jobsworth fourth official.

It's like saying I want to make a substitution in exactly 10 minutes and the assistant manager saying, what if someone scores and you replying - I don't care, make the sub in 10 minutes no matter what.

iv never had it pi** me off

Wait until you are in a match where a draw gets you promoted/saves you from relegation/gets you through Europe* and conceding a goal would not. So you decide to take off a striker and put on a defender as you reshuffle for the final 5 minutes. You issue the sub instructions, only for the opposition to score before you make the sub.... and then watch in utter despair as your team still switch to a defensive formation despite now needing a goal. If it is your last sub, as is often the case late in games, you are now screwed.

*Of course, it can just be trying to defend a point against superior league opposition or merely defend a fragile lead in a league game.

Archived