First Touch

This is the first incarnation of the game where I've really noticed the difference between how players act and look with a high first touch attribute.

Currently in the Blue Square Premier with Witton Albion, I have a striker with 13/20 first touch and he loses the defender so many times from a throughball or cross, the 3D view also makes this look awesome as he flowingly moves onto the ball without having to stand still for ages figuring out how to get it under control.

Definitely an attribute I'm going to pay more attention too in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I have decent technique if given time on the ball .. but my first touch is awful, which limits my ability to contribute in tight situations.

To CaptainPlanet, I do think First Touch has a big impact on the sort of thing you're describing; I've noticed it as well. I'm playing lower league football, and there seems like a massive difference between my players with FT of 11 and those with an FT of 4 or 5, especially amongst attacking players.

just a general query but is there any player (in real life) who has good technique but doesn't have a good first touch? it seems fundamentally flawed that someone with a good technique in terms of hitting a ball couldn't trap it as well

I'd say Robin Van Persie. His first touch isn't all that but when it's under his spell, watch out!

Archived