Just a query about the 5 registration thing

Obviously it's hard to tell whos breaking and who's not, but by the letter of the SI publication of it, I don't quite understand when it would become wrong. Here's some scenarios I'd just like clarifying:

The first is the situation I'm in.

I bought FM09, its on my laptop at home, my desktop and the other laptop I keep up my dads, laptop is for playing it in bed, desktop is for network games, and the other laptop is just there out of convenience (older laptop I've left up there for my dad to use to do his shopping on etc). As a result, my brother uses my copy of FM (my dad doesnt have a clue about it so he doesnt) but its installed in 2 locations and used on another when I'm not there.

Then theres, the scenario where 3 mates chip in on it (few mates at uni have done this) they share a flat and all have it on thier own pc and did it to avoid buying a copy each. Whilst the same as above, it does seem somewhat more of an issue than what I allow my 14 year old brother to do.

Finally is one where a few mates, who don't live together etc all chip in and buy the game, install it on their PC's and basically get out of paying up to 5 times for the game which seems a stone-waller wrong.

On the 360 you can put games on your hard drive, and to prevent being ripped off you have to have the game in the drive, surely this would have been a wiser move, or at least require periodical insertions of the disc - perhaps a certain file to be read to confirm its still in the possession of the purchaser - because I know of just a few mates who have done both the latter and obviously no skin off my nose it is bordering piracy because I now know that theres 7 people playing FM09 off of 2 copies of the game, DRM may stop piracy, but to some of my mates - especially those at Uni its a dream come true.

Obviously it's hard to tell whos breaking and who's not, but by the letter of the SI publication of it, I don't quite understand when it would become wrong.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=53492

Please note that the license when you purchase the game is explicit that you are only allowed to use the game for your own personal use.

Well it clarifies it in black and white, but considering what I have outlined, SI is now out of pocket by their profit on 5 games, or a high street retail total of £139.95 just off gamestations pricing of FM09 (and if it was the same as FM08, all would have bought it); because of the introduction of the DRM system, and the only question I can pose is how many more times will this be mirrored up and down just Britain alone?

I think someone should let SI/SEGA in on this because obviously, where my brother leeches off mine as well (whilst in theory its all fine and good saying I shouldn't, but unless I sit on both computers 24/7 I can't physically stop him) as not paying for it himself, thats another £27.99 down.

The way the DRM currently is, it seems to be that SI have cut their nose off to spite their face.

Archived