Preferred Shirt Number

Hi all,

I heard that the above feature is in this years FM. I have made a number of signings for Man Utd, and I am yet to see anything about a player having a preferred shirt number. Where do I look for this? Does it come up when you are picking a shirt number for the player??

Also, I signed Ribery in january 2009. He had already played in the champs league for Bayern (even against me!!). I was able to select him in my champs league squad and play him in the latter stages. This is a bug isnt it? Im sure he should of been cup tied....

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I find it funny that the english language has devolved to a point where the MAJORITY of people now type should OF been, instead of the actual correct phrase of should HAVE been. It's just because we all say it so fast and without the 'h' that people are now growing up actually believing they are saying 'of' instead of 'have'. But "should of been" makes no sense whatsoever.

Crazy.

And now, back to the subject... ;)

I can see where this preferred shirt number should be (when you select squad numbers - new column), but I've yet to see any player implement it. I've never seen a number there, not even for players like Ronaldo who is obviously attached to number 7. Has anyone seen this used yet?

Personally, I find it funny that the english language has devolved to a point where the MAJORITY of people now type should OF been, instead of the actual correct phrase of should HAVE been. It's just because we all say it so fast and without the 'h' that people are now growing up actually believing they are saying 'of' instead of 'have'. But "should of been" makes no sense whatsoever.

Crazy.

And now, back to the subject... ;)

I can see where this preferred shirt number should be (when you select squad numbers - new column), but I've yet to see any player implement it. I've never seen a number there, not even for players like Ronaldo who is obviously attached to number 7. Has anyone seen this used yet?

i had it last night when I signed Diego he wants 10, had another 2 players want numbers as well.

Jozy Altidore prefers 17... I'm managing Spurs and Giovanni Dos Santos has it in the first season so he got number 19 - in season two I gave him number 17 and saw no difference whatsoever.

I would've thought if you looked under 'personal' it might say something like 'is pleased to have his preferred shirt number' or something? Given that there's been no noticeable improvement in his performances, I wonder if this isn't a classic case of SI being able to claim another innovation on the box that makes no difference whatsoever to the gameplay?

It's a data thing: if you believe certain players should have preferred numbers then raise it in the data forums with the relevant researchers.

So is it purely cosmetic then? If so I think it's a missed opportunity to add further depth to player interaction.

So is it purely cosmetic then? If so I think it's a missed opportunity to add further depth to player interaction.

I thought it was meant to endear the player to the manager a little more. I'm not sure how good relationships build up, but I'd have thought this would have helped.

Oh well, if it's just cosmetic for the time being I still like it. Maybe there'll be more to it in the future.

I remember Shearer signing for Newcastle and someone at the club said Les Ferdinand had "given" Shearer the no. 9 shirt; the reporter revealing this nugget of information seemed a little cynical at the notion -- perhaps a press release could be triggered to this effet in future versions.

I think it was a design decision. You don't want to find yourself unable to sign two strikers just because they both want the number nine shirt and will be unhappy every year that you don't give it to them.

Instead, providing a slight positive (or negative) bump to the player/manager relationship works out - its a non-cosmetic effect, but not one that will overwhelm other factors keeping a player happy or unhappy .. and won't result in hundreds of bug-reports. :D

More players need to have them though. I'd think that players with high numbers (such as 99, 77 etc.) would have those as their preferred numbers. If the esearchers don't assign these, then the high numbers will become extinct in the game and we wouldn't want that would we? :D

• 2 weeks later...

It's not from saying it quickly, it's derived from should've.

And it's one of my biggest pet peeves next to people choosing the wrong there/their/they're.

One question, if a player is at one club with the same number for a long time (5 years +), can they get that number as a preffered number? If they don't already have a preffered number ofcourse.

Nope.

Well, if they can it hasn't happened to me. Even Ledley King doesn't feel any affinity for #26 after 5 years in it.

It's not from saying it quickly, it's derived from should've.

And it's one of my biggest pet peeves next to people choosing the wrong there/their/they're.

I never thought of that. That's even worse, though. It means people first shortened it to a contraction and then changed it completely based on the sound. Quite annoying, but also pretty funny, really. ;)

• 1 month later...
I never thought of that. That's even worse, though. It means people first shortened it to a contraction and then changed it completely based on the sound. Quite annoying, but also pretty funny, really. ;)

I hope your an Englishman living in the US? If not, you may just have opened a large can of worms.

I've seen it on one player, Willy Topp always wants the #8 shirt :)

When I saw this topic, a bell rang at the back of my head that I'd seen someone low down in the English league with a preference... That was him!

So is a preferred shirt something players are "born" with, or can it develop over time?

And has anyone seen a regen with a preference, or a player suddenly have a preference they didn't have before (I'm pretty sure Beckham didn't always prefer #23...)

i think cavaleari the sub keeper for liverpool has a prefered shirt of 1 in teh game.

I think that would be most goalkeepers' preferred number!

I had a backup keeper in my PSV side a while ago who had 1 for his preferred number, he never got it though as he never became my first choice.

Gerlson Fernandes - 19

Vincent Kompany - 10

Elano - 11

Those are just three from my current team.

It doesn't really matter. I do my best to give them their requested numbers, but some players, such as Kompany, don't feature in my team regularly, and so I give it to who I feel should have it - Robinho, of course.

Archived