Why SI

Been playing 09 for abut 6 hours now and i'm longing for my 08 save game. There's no doubt they've improved many issues such as a more realistic transfer market, improved scope for hiring training staff and scout. My question is why the hell mess with the match engine the way that they have. Playing the same tactics from 08 should not have drastically different results in 09, its not like every year managers have to cmpletely overhaul the way there team plays football. Ronaldo in my game spends the entire 90 minutes running in a straight line up the right flank and crossing to Uniteds obviously massive strikers(note the extreme sarcasm). Scholesy, hargreaves, fletcher and the neviller are all playing with average ratings in the fives and Rooney cant buy a goal for a month of Robinho's wages, nor can any of my strikers come close to scoring from in the box. I'm playing with the first patch and this is the first time in over a decade of cm/fm that im so bored that i'm having to force myself to play. Anyone feel similarly to me or have similar gripes with the negative changes regardless of the undoubtably positive ones?

Not at all. The match engine itself has changed massively since last year, so its unrealistic to expect the same results by not changing your tactics from the last game. Comparing it to real life just doesn't work, there's no real life equivalent of changing from FM08 to FM09.

Not at all. The match engine itself has changed massively since last year, so its unrealistic to expect the same results by not changing your tactics from the last game. Comparing it to real life just doesn't work, there's no real life equivalent of changing from FM08 to FM09.

This is a football management simulation, shouldn't SI be striving for added realism, improving what needs improving but leaving the core game dynamics the same. Dont' want an argument just a discussion. Also just had a thought that wouldn't it be better for youngsters with negative PA's to have their CA determined at a certain age instead of randomly at the start of every new game. The final CA determined by your training regime, correct exposure to first team football etc, once again just would like people's thoughts and nt looking for any fights:-)

FM09 may be the sequel to FM08, but it is still a different game and you should have to find and create different tactics.

If the same tactics worked, THEN people would have a reason when they moan saying all FM09 is is updated transfers and a few new features.

The match engine needed improving, it still does need improving, and there's always going to be ways in the future that it can be improved. By improving it, they'll be changing certain things that'll mean tactics won't work exactly as they did in the previous version.

The very basics of tactics are still pretty similar, for example, rules like only having 1 notch difference on the mentality sliders is still effective like it was in the last game, but it makes more of a difference now. Time wasting is another one, turning it up to 20 means your players will take their time over free kicks etc. Hopefully in the next game, this will mean they'll be likely to get yellow cards for timewasting, and the setting you use in FM09 should need changing for FM10 because of this.

Archived