whats your biggest gripe about fm09?

i love the 3d engine and i think the game overall is quite good

when you do the split screen and select match to be shown on left side it doesnt go back to what the setting was previously

eg - if you select asst managers comments - then a play is shown - it just freezes doesnt return back to asst managers comments and you have to click it back in. but then if you do that the match doesnt get shown.

the 3d engine is too heavy on the system too i think might just be mine but it doesnt have problems running many games

also rather than having home and away confidence maybe it should be opposition confidence and say man city confidence

To be brutally honest, I think it's become too involved for me. I think ever since about FM2006, I've become less addicted to the game.

That's not a criticism of the game, just the way it's evolved. It's moved on without me I think. I'll still play it, just without the fervor and determination I had before.

The fact England play a game away at Croatia on Sept 17th, same night there are champions league games.....AND my english players are unavailable for my club for about 2 weeks as they are constantly on int. duty. I know it is a bug and a known one at that but it is so annoying.

Strikers generally being crap is the thing thats bugging me most.

Yep. After a few hours of hopelessly fiddling with tactics i have come to the conclusion that i just cant enjoy this game knowing that whatever i do, it wont make much difference to the performance and goal ratio of my strikers.

And looking about the forums, it appears there are many people of the same opinion. I have seen a few (and it is a few) success stories but i believe it is a bug that MUST be fixed, sooner rather than later.

I have now stopped playing as its hard to get involved in the game when i know its not a level playing field

That is my only real gripe about the game at the moment so i will wait for the patch and hopefully, get back into it.

Since 2007 version this game has become less fun to play.

totally agree actually.

FM2008 was bugged up until the final patch, and then the match engine was way too one dimensional. FM2009 is currently bugged up and sluggish/unstable to boot. I still have FM2007 installed on my machine :)

I could whine about the long shots or injuries but to be totally honest I still prefer the likes of CM97/98.

Is strange as the game has gotten worse as the devs have listened to the players and brought in 3d match,more media,etc etc and all that has done is slowed the game down,I used to love searching for that "perfect"left midfielder in 97/98 but now with so much to do while I am searching it is always on my mind I still have so much to do before match day.

Give me old school!

This ended it pretty much for me, when it became more about game settings, and less about team building and blending…..Yeah the transfer system was fantastic fun because you knew that killer player would make all the difference and that’s what kept you playing…………………..CM Used to be about endless hours of minor achievement that kept on building as you knew your players and team and how they would work….FM 08 for me was a disappointment, the fine balance that was CM just is not there…………After playing countless seasons in clan games you appreciate what the likes of CM03 was to this………simplistic, predictable in a good way and highly enjoyable, you got whipped but understood the reason and you certainly got rewarded for your effort….losing to the 18th team in the Division season after season or funnily enough loosing to the worst team to make the end of season run-in more interesting not to mention crazy aggregate score lines in the CL……….Fm tries to hard to impress and be clever and is simply shown up….

I remember when it did not seem a loaded dice…………

This is more of a shame as I really like this Game and appreciate that people have worked seriously hard on this product but its like that wee game that was a gem that turned into a monster slowly……..CM03 was its pinnacle for me…..could you cheat the Ai on it or upload tactics………..

Hit the nail on the head Sav.

Theres nothing wrong with a little tactical help but Jesus Christ, some of the tactical guides on the tactics forum would put Capello to shame. Why should we need them? Like i said, if someone is completely new to the game and football in general, fair enough. I consider myself to be a decent 'tactician' but its got to the point where you HAVE to look at some of the guides.

I like depth to the game, but i think they have overcooked it recently.

my biggest gripe is that so many people come on here complaining about the game and making new threads about it rather than adding to the existing ones

that and the fact that the skin colour for so many regens is just wrong.

Well if SI stop closing threads people moan in, then people would reply in them, instead of starting new ones.

Well tbfh i played 6 months of the game time and i stop, tattics ( again) instead to be simplyfied is even more complex, bugs everywhere and a 3d engine that look like sensible soccer ( great game btw) , repetitive press conference ( who the hell talk like that anyway??) like in the last series always the same question and you need to give the same answer but now take 10 times longer.

I am goin to wait for future patches and prolly restart the game but I wont spend hours playing it.

Waiting for CM to come out see if they finally got all toghetor so that we have an option that atm is badly needed.

Biggest gripe? I have about 10, all of equal size :) Match engine bugs to start with, it's horrible. I thought FML was supposed to be this amazing thing that would improve the FM engine. HA! LOL.

The game is also ridiculously sluggish, a real CPU hog, serious memory leaks on OSX. It needs to seriously be refined. I could run any number of games 10 times more intense than FM better.

The let dow of press conferences. It's like someone came up with a good idea and gave it to a moron to implement. Just like confidence last year (and again this year) it's a badly implemented idea that gets boring after two press conferences. It's also obvious that whoever writes the questions and answers doesn't have English as a first language. Stupid Q&A composition.

To sum up FM, nice GUI, great database, reasonable ME with a few changes, the rest of it? Rip it out and start again.

To be honest I've only tried the Demo.............but the only press conference I liked was the made up one on the clan thread……..you could be creative and it did not affect all the players or your next score line……….What’s the point after all if your not interested in the actual Media point your expressing but more interested in what you think is the right answer not to affect the next match…….its like a Multiple choice exam after the match…….

Marks out of ten anyone! Four out of ten

Ok that’s two goals your class GK will let in next match and your forward injured for 3 months……………thats the feeling I got……….with 08…..

Wow, where to begin? Let’s start with the match engine. It’s completely unrealistic with ridiculous amounts of long balls putting strikers through on goal. Also, there are way too many long shots along with all pens being top corner strikes. Players seem clueless especially when it comes to closing down where often than not 2 nearest men run over including a player that may be marking a player which means massive gaps in the defence. It reminds me of the anticipation and build up of CM4 (first 2D match engine) but that for me was the worst game in the whole series.

Next are the press conferences. I was really looking forward to it but it is so boring and the questions and answers don't even make sense half the time.

Another thing that I'm not a fan of is the last 5 game form bars, and the navigation imo doesn't seem to flow but think that could just be me ;). And finally the bugs, but we all know about them so no need to list them.

However, it's not all doom and gloom. There are a few things that I really like about this fm but think it might be sooner rather than never before I dust of fm07 and reinstall that :(

Too many knocks

Strikers don't score enough striker goals (ie 1 on 1 with the keeper. It seems whenever a striker is one on one with the keeper, he will either shoot straight at the keeper, or try a lob. In real life they are more likely to try and pass it under/past the keeper into the net)

Woeful 3D defending, when several of my own defenders disposes each other and the opposition striker just taps it in

Seemingly there was an option dropped for the seating on the team bus and hotel arraignments and you had to get the ticks right or that’s another game lost……….does not matter if your thirty million pound striker you bought that was on fire till he arrived he cant score sitting two rows back he likes to be in the front row.

Like was said our imaginations can cope so let them and don’t play silly with outside factors affecting results.

To be brutally honest, I think it's become too involved for me. I think ever since about FM2006, I've become less addicted to the game.

That's not a criticism of the game, just the way it's evolved. It's moved on without me I think. I'll still play it, just without the fervor and determination I had before.

This is exactly how I have felt since 06. 06 was the peak of my addiction because it was the first CM/FM that I had owned. It was a way of life then. Now it's just a game that I'm steadily growing more disillusioned with. The tactical system didn't really need to be changed. The bugs were the only things which needed to be eradicated. Yet there are even more now and it has changed. Oh and also, pretty much all aspects of media interaction are rubbish. The teamtalks haven't moved on in years.

the fact it seems slower than 08 despite me buying a pc 10 times better than my previous one

OMG reading all the posts it seems FM 2009 is a game that can't be influenced by the player who bought it....that's scaring for a managerial game...is it just like that ?

I wonder why if it is just like that why people bought it even if they could test the demo in advance

plz elaborate the concept further

thanks

well i had a single core pc with 4gb of ram and could run all uk and ireland leagues on a huge database quick, now i have a quad core 8gb of ram and loading those leagues with a couple of other top leagues italy serie a, span la liga it runs slower than 08 did

Wow, where to begin? Let’s start with the match engine. It’s completely unrealistic with ridiculous amounts of long balls putting strikers through on goal. Also, there are way too many long shots along with all pens being top corner strikes. Players seem clueless especially when it comes to closing down where often than not 2 nearest men run over including a player that may be marking a player which means massive gaps in the defence. It reminds me of the anticipation and build up of CM4 (first 2D match engine) but that for me was the worst game in the whole series.

Next are the press conferences. I was really looking forward to it but it is so boring and the questions and answers don't even make sense half the time.

Another thing that I'm not a fan of is the last 5 game form bars, and the navigation imo doesn't seem to flow but think that could just be me ;). And finally the bugs, but we all know about them so no need to list them.

However, it's not all doom and gloom. There are a few things that I really like about this fm but think it might be sooner rather than never before I dust of fm07 and reinstall that :(

good post, you play the same game as me :)

In my view its like the kids on the street are given this new super amazing sounding techno football, it comes with lithium batteries, it has sound effects, it has a countdown timer of 90 min’s, it lights up, it goes into Beckham mode if you want for free kicks with a counter weight to make the balls direction……it comes with a manual for gods sake………but its twice as heavy as an normal ball, kicking it in a direction is hard as it has a strange wobble and every time you kick it you get one of five random cheers that is now boring and embarrassing

After 30 min’s the kids are crying out for a an official size five normal football that is basically fun and leave the Techno-ball to one side.

FM has become bloated and moved away from what I feel was the main attraction the fun element with its kick you in the teeth match engine, far to many factors affecting the result or match that are over powering.

Hit the nail on the head Sav.

Theres nothing wrong with a little tactical help but Jesus Christ, some of the tactical guides on the tactics forum would put Capello to shame. Why should we need them? Like i said, if someone is completely new to the game and football in general, fair enough. I consider myself to be a decent 'tactician' but its got to the point where you HAVE to look at some of the guides.

I like depth to the game, but i think they have overcooked it recently.

I agree with this, the detail within that guide is just ridiculous for a computer game. It's getting to the stage that to enjoy this game you need a Uefa Pro Licence.

Archived