Losing my patience, can anyone help?

Right, I have played one season, and I am about 6 games into my second. I am playing with the patch.

My problem is I cannot start the game! When I double click on the FM2009 icon the window opens but the comes up wih the message FM2009 has encountered a problem and needs to close.....bla bla.

The specifics to the error are

AppName: fm.exe AppVer: 9.1.0.26064 ModName: fm.exe

ModVer: 9.1.0.26064 Offset: 00fdc281

I have uninstalled and re-installed twice now. I have done nothing to my pc settings. Is there a right and wrong way to uninstall completely? I am so sad, the game was painfully, painfully slow but I was enjoying (I am recovering from major back surgery so have loads of time!)

Can anyone help me please? I would post in the technical section but loads of problems are going unanswered.

Thanks very much.

Andy

To add, it is a legitimate, paid for copy of the game, ran on a legitimately bought laptop, with a legitimately bought copy of Windows XP. I activated it legitimately too.

Thanks

I meant Steam - no need to be so paranoid. Anyway, I don't know what the answer is I'm afraid, sorry. Hopefully someone else can help. :thup:

Have you added any graphics and logos to your game?

Good point, I was wondering if it had anything to do with editing data, but now you say that, I wonder if it could be something to do with that?

I am not paranoid, I am just really annoyed. I have read post after post on here, complaining about (lack of) speed of the games, about crashes, bugs, etc etc, problems with the game in terms of activation, having to download the DirectX stuff etc just to get the game to work.

I am just annoyed that this has happened, as you can imagine. I paid £30 for the game and upgraded my RAM to play the game, which I did for one and a bit seasons. Now I can't play it. Not good value for money. Please don't accuse me of being paranoid.

Andy

tbf andrew, you'll see more people posting with issues on a forum after release date (of any game) than people who can play the game without hitch.

Have you uninstalled then deleted the folder in documents and settings.

See sticky/TQ forum

Granted Kris, this is the case with people posting their complaints whilst 1000s play without a grumble. I thought I was one of the luckier ones, until now, even though my game is unbelievably. My point is I don't need to be accused of being paranoid by a moderator when I have perfect reason to be posting.

I will have a look at the sticky. Why does deleting the folder in my documents affect the starting of the game?

Thanks for your reply by the way.

Did the uninstall again, cleaned the cache, removed the folder in my documents, reinstalled without the patch and it worked. Installed the patch and it came up with the same message.

I would like to reiterate that I have had it working with the patch, and played a season and a bit before this hassle.

This is ridiculous.

After a "clean install", activation issues, and without trying the patch, I am now faced with this message when I try and start the game.

Warning

Could not use database location '/C:Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/data/updates/update-910/db/910' - reverting to the default location[/b]

I clicked ok and got to the screen where I can load last game, start new game etc.

Not exactly filling me with much confidence when I try to patch it.

Please remember I have played a season already without any problems, then it stopped working. It is a legitimate, boxed version of the game.

WTF!!!? Any help would still be appreciated. Please?

Cutters, if I click yes, I "waste" another life!

Sorry Kris, I have spent all day on this, like I spent all day trying to get the game to work on its release day (activation, DirectX thing etc)

Cheers for your help guys, I just hope it works. I have got months laid up cos of my back surgery recovery.

A couple of versions ago, I had a similar problem in that the game stopped working spontaneously after allowing me to play for a few seasons.

I couldn't figure out what was wrong, so eventually by trial and error I formatted my HDD and reinstalled windows, before reinstalling FM. It worked.

Maybe worth trying the same, if only because you've already tried everything else? Obviously uninstall properly first to get an installation back, and backup everything you'll need to keep.

This is getting silly.

Tried clearing the cache and the registry - no good

Tried manually removing every folder and file related to FM2009 and/or Sports Interactive - no good

Tried the CCleaner - no good.

Tried the Revo Uninstaller - no good.

I have defragged, ran scandisk or whatever it is.

Have rebooted countless times.

Have used 4 of my 5 activations.

Still getting the Warning Message, and then when I try the patch it "encounters a problem and has to close" or just gets stuck.

This could be the end for me. I am very disappointed. I have spent all day doing this.

(thanks to Kris who is linked to the game and has tried to help).

Over and out. Sour.

Like I said, I had exactly the same problems with a previous version and a reformat worked. It's also quicker than doing all the above! (30 minutes to reinstall Windows XP from memory?)

Not saying it will definitely work for you, but it's got to be worth a try. Plus you shouldn't have used any activations if you've been uninstalling correctly each time so you should still have 5 left.

Archived