FM 09 - so far...

started bad with injuries but im on a good run now with arsenal , still unbeaten in the league after 9 games and just got manager of the month award

conceded just 1 goal in the league and that was drawing with man u 1-1

I've only been playing a couple of days but I'm just about into october and I'm rock bottom of Ligue 2 in France with the unfancied (but well endowed in terms of facilities) En Avant de Guingamp. My girlfriend is used to me disappearing for a week or so when the game first comes out each year but now she's sick of me getting her to watch my (rare, but usually well worked) goals.

Finished my first season with QPR. Won the Championship and signed up for another year... only because there werent any great jobs available! Expecting to jump ship if a decent vacancy appears but wouldnt rule out staying if I have a decent budget for Prem survival. Most players are too old to cut it in next seasons league and I only signed them on one year contracts.

I was one of the harshest critics of FM08 which i thought and still do think was a total disaster. I must admit that when i went to buy FM09 i was a little apprehensive, basically i thought i was wasting my money.

I have to say however i am pleasntly surprised by FM09. The main problem with 08 was the match engine which ruined the game. The 3d engine, while not perfect, is a lot better and is much more realistic in terms of 'results' i am getting. I would recommend this game in fact to other sceptics, it seems SI have got their act together and are making good steps forward.

The only moan i have is the amount of time it takes to play the game now! Up until FM07 you could get through a season pretty swiftly if you needed to (having a crap season!). Now it seems to take an eternity to play one game, press conferences and post and pre match analysis. While it all appears good i simply dont think it is something i want in the game, especially as i can see my first season taking about two weeks!

All in all though much better than last years shambolic effort, well done SI. No just simplify the game and focus on what made it such a success in the first place.

Im not too far into it yet. Apart from how difficult it is to score, i'm loving it so far. I especially like the fact that I can play it properly again, instead of being tempted to use genie or something like that.

Im Norwich at the moment, and like the team in real life, I'm struggling to win. But then, that only makes me more determined to win. In FM08, I was winning every game easily and my intersest would soon be lost,

I was one of the harshest critics of FM08 which i thought and still do think was a total disaster. I must admit that when i went to buy FM09 i was a little apprehensive' date=' basically i thought i was wasting my money.

I have to say however i am pleasntly surprised by FM09. The main problem with 08 was the match engine which ruined the game. The 3d engine, while not perfect, is a lot better and is much more realistic in terms of 'results' i am getting. I would recommend this game in fact to other sceptics, it seems SI have got their act together and are making good steps forward.

The only moan i have is the amount of time it takes to play the game now! Up until FM07 you could get through a season pretty swiftly if you needed to (having a crap season!). Now it seems to take an eternity to play one game, press conferences and post and pre match analysis. While it all appears good i simply dont think it is something i want in the game, especially as i can see my first season taking about two weeks!

All in all though much better than last years shambolic effort, well done SI. No just simplify the game and focus on what made it such a success in the first place.[/quote']

I quiet like the time taken in press confrences etc ... it makes each match important and makes you feel like you are part of the game a feeling you never relly got with FM 08 :)

Due to computer problems, I've had to start the game three times, so I'm only half a season into the game but I'm loving it so far. My Liverpool side are currently top of the league, a point ahead of Chelsea and my only defeat so far has come in the league cup, though there have been some very close shaves. The only down side has been how bad Robbie Keane has been.

Due to computer problems, I've had to start the game three times, so I'm only half a season into the game but I'm loving it so far. My Liverpool side are currently top of the league, a point ahead of Chelsea and my only defeat so far has come in the league cup, though there have been some very close shaves. The only down side has been how bad Robbie Keane has been.

Woow Close shaves and robbie keene in bad form sounds like real life

Just finished my first season with Man Utd.

Lost the league to Arsenal by 1 point.

Took a while to get the hang of the tactics but got the hang of it now.

Newcastle got took over by a tycoon and spent £100m in preseason.

Chelsea finished 5th, Man City got in the top 4.

The quality of regens is much better than fm08, I've got a young lad who can be as good as Ronaldo and I've pinched another one from Fiorentina

Just got past January in my first season with Arsenal,

Top of the league, through to the CL second round, and the FA Cup fifth round, embarrassingly went out of the league cup against West Brom!

Have to say, i'm absolutely loving this game, the best version by a long way.

I thought 08 was good, but this is so much better.

The 3d pitch is quality, sure there's a few little niggles but overall it's very good for a first attempt!

The press conferences are a great addition as well, i love the fact you can add your own comments, i've seen some entertaining results using that, as i'm sure a lot of you have! :D

Pretty much everything has been improved and i for one, am loving this game!

:thup:

I am loving this years iteration.

I cant recall being so engrossed in a game (in terms of enjoyment, hours played, and time spent doodling formations and plyers when not playing :D ) since CM01/02.

About to begin my 3rd season in charge of Panionios in Greece. After 7th, and 6th league finishes i'm hoping to keep the progress going and maybe finish 4th behind the big 3. Although a team called Asteras Tripoli just got taen over by a Saudi billionaire (theyre talking about brining in Angelos Charisteas as Player/Manager, this game is very cool), and they are now richer than Olympiakos :o! So that may be another team ahead of me :(

It's not perfect, but this Match Engine is the best there's ever been. The UI is nice. With the Flex skin the game looks a million bucks. I can actually sell players. The list goes on. Its just excellent in my humble opinion.

Luckily my girlfriend is in the middle of her dissertation, so she thinks i'm being lovely when I dont moan about her studying all the time, even though I love it because i'm playing FM in quiet bliss :D

Life. Is. Good.

I've only been playing a couple of days but I'm just about into october and I'm rock bottom of Ligue 2 in France with the unfancied (but well endowed in terms of facilities) En Avant de Guingamp. My girlfriend is used to me disappearing for a week or so when the game first comes out each year but now she's sick of me getting her to watch my (rare, but usually well worked) goals.

I lived in Guingamp a few years back and remember paying the equivalent of a fiver to go and see them. They had Drogba and Malouda in those days. I remember seeing them stuff Monaco in one particular game. Not so good now though. I think they are as bad in real life these days.

Loving it, into my 4th season as Middlesbrough. Havent really accomplished anything yet, but I have a good feeling I will qualify for eruopeen competitions this season. Found a lot of talents (too many really) and currently have 3 wonderkids on my side! Anyways my very offensive tactic seems to work, I dont win every time, but I manage :)

Haven't been able to get a game going really. I got to March '09 with Inverness CT and then deleted the game out of frustration. Started a game as Newcastle last week and completed all the friendlies but haven't been able to go any further yet due to being away for the weekend.

I am only 6 games in, winning all 6 with Liverpool. I drew my CC game (won on pens) but i played a weakened team. Someone up there ^ said Keane was bad for him....not for me. He is my best player so far alongside Alonso. Arbeloa, Aurelio and Dossena are quite poor though. I tried to sign cover but couldn't get anyone good enough with my £3m transfer spends. I am enjoying it though, the 3d is great, the post and pre match press conferences are getting boring though and i am sending my ass. man to them (im only on 1st Oct). Also, the eng bug where your players remain with eng for a few league and cl games was annoying, but i still won my matches (only gerrard missing). Aywhoooo, off to work.

Just finished my first season with Rangers in Scotland. I finished second but think I would have won the league if my strikers had not had an alarming dip in form. Dispite playing an attacking formation my strikers were lucky if they finish the game with a rating of 5.0. Has anyone else experienced a dip like this?

Started as Newcastle, said I'd end up with Euro qualification. Last game of the season I was 6th. I needed a draw to secure 6th, although if I lost and Liverpool won I'd be 7th. And guess what? I lost and Liverpool won. I finished seventh.

Then the FA cup played out between Chelsea and Man U (1st and 3rd) and those two little letters "EC" appeared next to Newcastle on the League table and I actually whooped. Enjoyable first season, and Michael Owen even signed a new deal.

What a great thread. I have really enjoyed reading all the different teams people manage and the good and bad times they have. Superb.

I am playing as my beloved Rangers (i never manage anybody else) and i have just started the season with a win against Linfield away 3-0 in the Champs Qualifying. i clapped and whooped when Mendes tapped in the first like i was watching the real team on TV...my wife has told me to stop frightening the cats already and to turn down the crowd noise if she is in the same room whilst i am playing....she just doesnt understand! I have even tried showing her the 3D screen of the game but she really doesnt understand at all.

It always takes me ages to set up the training, coaches, sorting players and tactics and then playing the pre-season....i try not to rush everything as i like to play each game as if it is real. This can sometimes backfire on me as in previous games i have spent hours sorting all this, only to lose the first SPL game against someone i should be beating like Falkirk (no disrepsect intended to Falkirk). Has anybody had this sort of result and then decided to start again?

i find it incredible that people are in their 3rd or 4th season!! With a full time job and a wife i only get to play the odd 2 hour session here and there. If you have time to play as a student or something then i really envy you!!

i have spent 2 hours at work today trawling these forums for tactical help....the game is extremely addictive.

I reckon it will take me 3 months to finish a season. How depressing is that!!?

Fantastic game.

I'm struggling to create a tactic that scores goals and creates many chances. It's quite frustrating, think I went 5 or 6 games without a goal scored. I don't concede many, but am really struggling.

This is with Man City.

Your no Mark Hughes :p. Complete opposite of whats happening at City lol

I love it lol. This thread has people in it praising the game for it being amazing and heaping praise on the match engine while at the same time there is another thread going along the lines of "your gripes with FM09" where they slate the ME and everything else lol.

Luckily i fall into the category of this thread and am absolutely loving it! when i do get the chance to play it i relish it and its amazing :D

I keep reading about all these problems people are having with penalty shoot outs that are incorrect and goals that arent registered and I am trying not to enjoy the game too much in case it crashes or i lose an important cup tie on a bug; but it is very difficult not love playing this game.

I think this is the best version yet. :)

well for me things going ok just at end of feb with leeds and im in 2nd place.

1,did't like 3d on demo but love it now if you watch it on a slowish speed its better just seen my 1st overhead kick:D.

2.transfers are better but still few dodgey ones like man city just bought srna for 25m of shakter sorry but hes not that good taking that villareall got benzema for 6m which would't happen.

3,injuries im 50-50 with that at moment its not that i get loads but its the length of some prutton just twisted is ankle and is out for 2 month sorry but twisted ankle would't keep you out for that long i play twice a week my self and ive twisted ankle many times most it should keep you out for is 2 to 3 weeks.

so so far so good loving fm all i'd like to see is mayb transfers tweaked abit more same for injuries,mayb afew more animations in 3d games,then some of the other bugs ironed out that other people have mentioned.

Currently in my second season with Grays...Promoted from BSP in my first season after being taken over by some thai investor who seems to insist on putting more money in on a monthly basis although i have not spent the first 5 million he gave me to spend on transfers.

Second season in League two managed to make some quality signings still with most of my 9.8 million budget in place and a good 100K under wage budget :S. After 13 games im top with 34 points out of a possible 39 and going strong. So all looking good providing my 'free spending' owner doesnt back out.

im currentley in my second season with Bolton Wanderers gt relegated in my 1st season bt becouse i wasnt doing well i asked the bored for a bit more time to rebuild the squad and a few days later i got offered a new contract after accepting it i was relegated a week later with 2 games to go but i still kept my job but minimum expectation is to win the leauge... so far so good im 9points clear at top of the championship P10 W9 D1 F29 A 7 top gl scorerer is Johan Elmander and Kevin Davies both with 9 leauge each and my only draw was against bottom of the leauge Notts Forest... ill keep updating my progress at end of the season hopefull y ill have won the leauge by then

This game is finger licking good! I think that the majority of us on this thread can count ourselves lucky thanks to our decent computers. Love the 3D engine especially after the patch, this is the way it should have been from the start! Currently halfway through my first season with Quilmes in the Argentinian Second Division, pretty tight league. Was second but have now dropped down to fourth since the patch... I'm definately finding it harder to score now...!

In 2nd season with AA Gent. Finished 4th last season behind Standard, Anderlecht and Genk. Lost in the final of the Belgium cup 5-4 on penalties to Anderlecht and got knocked out of the UEFA cup in the first round by Portsmouth.

This season i'm 19 games in and in 6th place, in quarter finals of Belgium Cup and out of UEFA cup after being knocked out by Benfica in 4th qualifying round.

Archived