Another way to show team gelling?

I quite like the fact that teams have to gel in order to play their best football and that dropping a new player in has an impact. However, I was wondering whether it could be expanded ever so slightly and represented graphically across the whole team.

For example - play your first choice central defender pairing and they form a good understanding. Replace one of those players and a new bond must be created. It could link into the player profile as well 'Mr Yellow thinks he plays well with Mr Blue' and so on.

Daft idea?

gellinglk4.jpg

Green lines to represent great understanding, orange to represent early stages of understanding and red to signify no real understanding of one another. This could be accessed via another option so as not to overcomplicate the default tactics screen. It'd show you whether or not the guy you've just dropped in to the AMCL position is able to play well alongside the guys around him.

This is all just off the top of my head but I guess it could be expanded to include language links as well (all on one screen). Having four Italians playing at the back would appear better than a Gambian, Chineseman, Englishman and Liverpudlian.

Two things...

Firstly, stick it in the Assistant Manager feedback page. That'd be the best place for it.

Secondly, it'd have to link more players than that. The DL/R and MC's need a good understanding if there's no wingers there. Perhaps have it linking all players and let us decide which ones don't matter, such as a DCR and FCL not playing well together?

Great idea though.

edit: Maybe have a gold line or the like to signify a perfectunderstanding. This wouldn't be a simple "time + language" thing, but rather would represent those special partnerships that blossom from time to time.

For example, using Arsenal in the last 10-15 years as an example...

Vieira - Petit would be golden, as would Ljungberg - Bergkamp and Pires - Henry. The entire back 4 that Wenger took over would have a gold line through it, and as such would be irreplacable.

edit2: And perhaps a black line to signify that two players hate each others guts and will never play well together? For example, all lines to and from Joey Barton! :D

dont see the point , the assisitant manager already says which players are finding it hard to comunicate and blend into to the squad

He doesn't point out where the problem is though. For example, it may just be one person he's not working well with.

Perhaps we could even have an option in training to ask two players to work closely together, not in a tutor relationship but just to get used to each other's movement?

Two things...

Secondly, it'd have to link more players than that. The DL/R and MC's need a good understanding if there's no wingers there. Perhaps have it linking all players and let us decide which ones don't matter, such as a DCR and FCL not playing well together?

Great idea though.

This was my thought when i first read the idea, if you were playing a direct game for example you would need to know links between dc and fc for example. Perhaps you could mouseover/click on individual players to see their understanding to the rest of the team.

That said thats just an implentation issue the basic idea is brilliant and would really add a lot to the game imo. Do they have something similar on pro evo at the minute? Think it may be done with numbers its ages since ive played it.

Good idea

but there would be new hassles erupting and people would say the game's too hard

I dont see how it would make the game harder or cause hassles its purely a new representation of mechanisms that are already in the game.

i really like the idea here.

it would better implement in the game the notion of "club men".

i.e. think of a player like Tony Hibbert or Leon Osman for Everton, or John O'Shea or Darren Fletcher for ManU (these players are all just subjective examples, before I get flamed ;) ). Players who don't set the world on fire, but are fantastic club players.

In RL football, they regularly start for their club teams. But in Football Manager, I can guarantee that these types of players regularly get quickly replaced by "better players" by new managers. To me, this is because there isn't enough of a link with "club loyalty" / "club experience" /etc. This proposed system could help justify playing these players. Interesting concept, anyway.

I like the sound of this idea, gives a good visual indication of progress imho. The gold bar for perfect understanding sounds good also.

Wouldn't it take alot of system memory though for every player? As all players would need to be linked with all teams mates, and the figure would be built up over time.

in various console games, especially EA basketball games, they have player chemistry displayed in "bar" form. when you go into a players profile it shows how when he clicks with all other members of the squad.

it would be good to have if it wasn't gonna take up too much memory or processing as you could then pick playesr that allow your better players to reach their potential (Heskey & Owen springs to mind). Some players would fit well straight away where as others could take a while to work (Gerrard & Lampard for example) and it would be nice to see it.

Yes I like this, Thread starter got this idea from pro evo i'd say, this was in it a couple of years ago, still is maybe.

The idea was exactly the same and made a difference to who you picked for each game.

How dare you Sir )) If I'd seen it in a game, I'd have referenced it.

I've never played Pro Evo, never liked it. Bought FIFA recently though, first time since the copy I had for 3DO!

Anyhow. It was a five minute thought. Could make it better than Pro Evo or any other game if I had ten ;) It's nothing major so I'm not surprised it appears, or something similar in other games.

Gold bars - yep, I'm sure the colours could be better. Paint doesnt have Gold as such so I used traffic light colours for obvious effect. I just think FM could get away from some of the text help it has. I like the Ass Man feedback in 09, but it's all quite basic and extending it to effect the original post would necessitate far too much text.

Anyhow... I still feel hurt.

Gold bars - yep, I'm sure the colours could be better. Paint doesnt have Gold as such so I used traffic light colours for obvious effect. I just think FM could get away from some of the text help it has. I like the Ass Man feedback in 09, but it's all quite basic and extending it to effect the original post would necessitate far too much text.

No, by all means your traffic light system fits in the with position indicators. Gold should just be a rare, bonus "step above" for those truly special partnerships that blossom between two players in a team every 5-10 years.

Archived