Why no Customization in FM??

As the FM series has evolved in the last two iterations, the game has seemingly become more and more rigid. Unless the player takes control of one of the worlds wealthiest teams, he/she is given little choice in the number of coaches/scouts. budgets, investment in team infrastructure etc. On a macro level, one can only play the game one way...using the realistic modern template.

I would like to see the ability to set financial parameters of leagues. From having the option to narrowing the financial divide to even making all teams operate with the same budget, I think this would add a fun twist to the game. Then, the human player should be allowed to decide where to allocate his funds. Want to invest heavily in a youth system at the expense of the transfer market? Why shouldnt that be an option?

Why not allow the player to create custom footie universes?

Why not an option to make all players out of contract at games beginning? Imagine the fun trying to build a squad from scratch with all the teams in your league having equal financial resources?

For those who hate customization, ignore it and play the traditional FM.

Any thoughts?

Why not an option to make all players out of contract at games beginning? Imagine the fun trying to build a squad from scratch with all the teams in your league having equal financial resources?

A fully customisable game would be impractical programming-wise. SI programmers have stated that any minor changes have massive knock-on effects down the line.

However, basic database changes such as the one quoted above, are available in 3rd party downloads. I played the one mentioned in 08 and it was fun for a while. Although it did take a season or two to stabilise as many clubs only signed 2 or 3 players and I'd beat them 11 or 12 -nil.

The editor allows you to do quite a bit, although probably not as much as you've suggested. Neat idea in principle, but I don't think it'll happen.

A fully customisable game would be impractical programming-wise. SI programmers have stated that any minor changes have massive knock-on effects down the line.

As far as making a customizable universe, perhaps there could be an option to turn off international matches and there could be parameters that would allow custom universes to be able to hold CL and UEFA Cup competitions. I think those programmers are just blowing smoke. SI are looking for ways to attract new customers and keep older ones buying the product. This idea might help them accomplish this goal.

"Why not allow the player to create custom footie universes?

Why not an option to make all players out of contract at games beginning? Imagine the fun trying to build a squad from scratch with all the teams in your league having equal financial resources?"

You can. That's what the editor is for. SI strive to create a realistic game, but if you want to get fanciful, you can. If you're serious, plenty fans like you have created alternative databases - they're over in the Editor's Hideaway forum.

Archived