What's wrong with the UK foreign work permit restrictions?

From what I understand of the work permit regulations, a player has to either get a large percentage of international games for their country in the past few years or has to be a major talent (on appeal).

So why can't I sign Stephen Appiah for West Ham? 42 caps, a regular for Ghana...

What about Leopoldo Jimenez? 74 caps for Venezuela, obviously is a mainstay on the team with that many caps..

These players get rejected on appeals as well.

Then I can sign Jozy Altidore on loan, who has only 3 caps, but is a pretty known talent.

However, from my understanding of the regulations, I would imagine that Appiah and Jimenez would qualify, but not Altidore.

Is this a bug or am I just wrong?

Appiah hasn't been playing international football for over a year due to serious injury AFAIK, so it's completely correct in not giving him one. Don't know about Jimenez.

Young players are often given special dispensation (eg Anderson for Man U) if they have the talent to be an international regular, but haven't had the time to collect the caps yet.

Young players are often given special dispensation (eg Anderson for Man U) if they have the talent to be an international regular, but haven't had the time to collect the caps yet.

But how does the home ministry know whether the player has that amount of talent or not :confused:

Actually, the 75% of recent games is when fit. So if he was a key first team member for his nation, got injured and had to sit out due to not having a foot attached to his ankle for a few months, those games when he doesn't play don't count.

Archived