Should I buy WWSM or not? Please offer your opinion.

I've been dying to play FM 09 but, living in the states, I'm faced with the dilemma of buying WWSM immediately on Steam or importing FM and waiting for the game to arrive. What should I do?

WWSM:

Pros-

1. Showing support to SI/Sega for their hardwork on the MLS license and their attempt to service the NA fanbase.

2. Can be up and playing (hopefully!) within a day.

Cons-

1. Questions over compatability with FM mods/editors (a BIG problem if the MLS newgens are still showing up with CA's in the 70's)

2. A history of delays between the release of an FM patch and the release of a WWSM patch.

3. Having Steam installed on my computer- many people don't mind it, others have expressed problems/concerns over the service.

4. Using a company such as Amazon still leaves me waiting several days to play.

I'm looking to you guys (and gals) to help me out, particularly those that have faced the same decision as I do. Can anyone answer these questions, SI staff included?

1. Does 09 fix the issue of the newgens showing up each year with pathetic stats (i.e. 75CA, 185PA, 22 years-old)?

2. Are the various logo/badge kits compatible with WWSM?

3. Will any of the recent MLS rules changes be reflected in the February patch?

My main concern, obviously, is the quality of young players that come into the league each year. Last year's version made the league all but unplayable within three or four years due to the lack of quality players entering the league, but by using FMM (I purchased FM08 off of eBay) I could reasonably remedy the situation with some time and effort. If 09 doesn't address this issue, and I can't find a compatible mod/editor, I'd view my purchase as an utter waste of money. Try as I might, I just can't get into managing another league (the simplicity/clarity of rules is just too much for me!)

Any insight/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I was faced with the same decision and went with WWSM via steam. Albeit, this choice was mainly based on the fact that I could begin playing the game instantly. I don't know much about MLS (the over-complication of the beautiful game is just too much for me!) but the overall quality of regens has improved so I assume that MLS regens will be better as well. I've had no problems whatsoever with Steam. Probably the easiest install I've ever done. And finally, I'm not sure about the Fm/wwsm compatability issue but I'd be interested in knowing.

I gotta recommend WWSM... I just ordered mine off Amazon a few hours ago (wanted a physical copy, but Steam works great I used it for WWSM 08)

I've heard that the patches come out about 24 hours later at the latest, so if that's true not much of a problem. Plus, it's a decent amount cheaper and it's good to support the North American market. Face and Logo packs work just fine, used both for 08.

I've used editors with my Steam copy of 08 as well, and it worked fine. Might depend on what specifically you're using cos I've heard that this is a problem on a couple of occasions.

I'd suggest that SI put some time and effort into dispelling the rumors that WWSM is somehow drastically different/worse, except that given the sales over here it's probably not worth the time and effort to do so. Although if you buy WWSM, it'd certainly help :p

I'll put in a vote for Football Manager, although I'm still waiting on my copy from GoGamer.

I just don't buy the WWSM idea. Why make a separate game, albeit pretty much in name only, just for a North American market? Seems like a decision that hasn't really been thought through. I don't buy the argument that having a WWSM version, and seeing how many copies are bought gives legitimacy to the North American market or not. Produce the game, allow people to buy the game they want and don't worry about the rest.

With the advent of the internet, remember it's been around for quite awhile now, borders are becoming blurred. I could really care less that someone thinks the Wal-Mart crowd won't buy the game because it says "Football", yet has a soccer ball on the cover. Those people wouldn't buy the game anyways.

I'm quite sure, especially since they block Football Manager from being sold to NA-based ip addresses, that SEGA could track how many are sold in North America based on those NA-based ip addresses.

I will only buy Football Manager now, just so I can do my part to show SEGA that double branding this game is useless.

It's not really useless though. They have to change the language stuff, not just the cover and name or some Americans wouldn't understand it.

I went to America recently and got talking about 'soccer', most of them didn't have a clue when I said manager as its head coach over there. There's alot of stuff that needs to be regionalised like that or it wouldn't sell.

I'll put in a vote for Football Manager, although I'm still waiting on my copy from GoGamer.

I just don't buy the WWSM idea. Why make a separate game, albeit pretty much in name only, just for a North American market? Seems like a decision that hasn't really been thought through. I don't buy the argument that having a WWSM version, and seeing how many copies are bought gives legitimacy to the North American market or not. Produce the game, allow people to buy the game they want and don't worry about the rest.

With the advent of the internet, remember it's been around for quite awhile now, borders are becoming blurred. I could really care less that someone thinks the Wal-Mart crowd won't buy the game because it says "Football", yet has a soccer ball on the cover. Those people wouldn't buy the game anyways.

I'm quite sure, especially since they block Football Manager from being sold to NA-based ip addresses, that SEGA could track how many are sold in North America based on those NA-based ip addresses.

I will only buy Football Manager now, just so I can do my part to show SEGA that double branding this game is useless.

I think it also has to do with sponsorship. I have examined the WSM box closely today and the ball showing is adidas rather than Nike. Could be because of MLS licensing but I could imagine more money is made by supporting regional sponsorship. Could be wrong, since I have no clue about marketing.

I went to America recently and got talking about 'soccer', most of them didn't have a clue when I said manager as its head coach over there. There's alot of stuff that needs to be regionalised like that or it wouldn't sell.

I find this explanation so patronizing. "Got to change the language for those dumb colonials; otherwise, they won't buy the game." I'm sure that by now we've all seen that the reason WWSM exists is because there are separate licensing agreements for North America. Don't pass us off as idiots.

I find this explanation so patronizing. "Got to change the language for those dumb colonials; otherwise, they won't buy the game." I'm sure that by now we've all seen that the reason WWSM exists is because there are separate licensing agreements for North America. Don't pass us off as idiots.

You're twisting my words and reading something that isn't there.

I have yet to have an issue with WWSM either this year or last. And all the graphics from 08 seems to work in the 09 version at least so far. As far as compatibility I dont use the editor so I cant speak on that but skins used to work and I did use the DDT file for Dafuge's challenge and I dont see any error with that either. Oh, and I used steam to get the game and had no issues with the install either or since with playing.

I agree, maybe a little twisting of words there.

The problem though with regionalisation, or whatever, especially as it pertains to WWSM is this: for all of how much we love the game, Football Manager and soccer(football), the management genre of computer games is very small. I could understand if this was done with FIFA 09, whether it be XBox360, PS3 or PC, and it is with different people on the box cover, but that's a big popular game.

I repeat, the people who would buy this game, know the difference between football and soccer, they know the difference between a soccer ball and an American football, they know the difference between Manager and Head Coach. I just don't buy the argument that Americans wouldn't know what they were buying if it was boxed as Football Manager.

Sponsorship and rights issues are a different matter, but that's unfortunate as realism then takes a back seat. I doubt, really doubt even a small percentage of WWSM or North American FM buyers play only the MLS.

If you need answers to a series of questions, and you need to get other people to convince you to buy it, then it must not be too high on your list. So, no, don't buy it.

I'm not really looking for someone to convince me to buy it...I already want the game. I want to purchase it. Immediately. What I don't want to do, however, is purchase a game and be dissapointed with the product. I'm hoping that the issues I had with last year's game, as well as a possible move to a "new" product (the NA version) don't leave me with a bad taste in my mouth, hence the reason for my post. I'm looking for opinions that can better inform me of which version I would prefer. So far I've been very pleased with the responses, and I hope more come in over the course of the night.

Neji: I understand that the "average" American wouldn't have a clue what a "soccer manager" is, but the "average" American isn't the demographic that would buy this game. People like me, who follow the sport, are the ones that purchase the game, and I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of them would be able to pick out the Football Manager title from other "football" games. For SI/Sega, I think it would be better to treat the NA fan as a typical consumer, and instead focus their attention on trying to lure in the more "casual" soccer fan. Perhaps they could hand out demo disks at MLS/USL games or run an ad campaign...anything to get their product name out in the market (and judging by the number of Mogul games ((Football Mogul, Baseball Mogul, etc.)) there is definitely a market for management sims in America.)

Pertaining to if to buy the game or not i think since you mentioned that you don't want to buy the game and then be disappointed then i would suggest you wait at least until an extra patch or two have been released. Newly released games in general tend to have lots of bugs/problems that depending on the person might or might not have an adverse effect. So if you really want it and don't mind possibly running in the some bugs that might make you go all awol then buy it otherwise just put it off until an extra patch or two have been released.

I imported FM from the UK. I do not intend on getting WWSM, ever.

Hear, here!

Third-party graphic and sound (badges, kits, Furney98, and the like) upgrades work fine with WWSM. It's Genie, Miniscout, and FMM that don't. Although, Jpee did get a copy of WWSM last year and made a WWSM-compatible FMM...maybe the offset will be the same this year and he won't have to get a copy of the game bought for and shipped to him.

Archived