AUstralian Game

Is there anyone here who has played enough australian fmh to fill me in on how the asian champions league works?

In my 4th season I won the champions league and in season 5 I don't seem to be in the group stage, however I see that it says there are 7 groups of 4 and 29 teams so i'm wondering if the holders get a free run into the knockout stage?

Hopefully someone knows because I am confused.

And while I'm here, can I just say how bad the australian league rules are? I have had the best team by miles each season and because I lost the grand final it means that the fact I won the league by 20+ points is meaningless!

Anyways, i've achieved my goals in my multi country game in austalia and will be leaving when a good job comes up but i'd still like to know how this works.

The tournament was re-launched in 2004 season with 28 clubs from fourteen countries. In the current format, these 28 clubs are divided into 7 groups of four and plays double round-robin (home and away). The seven group winners along with defending champions qualifies to the quarter-final. Quarter-final, semi-final, and finals are two-legged series, with away goal, extra time, and penalties are used as tie-breaker. The 2007 draw also saw clubs from Australia's Hyundai A-League competition participate.

From Wikipedia, the defending champion qualifies for the quarter finals automatically.

I agree, the finals series here is stupid. It's all just to create a bit of excitement at the end of the season and bring it all to a nice climax; as well as giving the teams in 5th and 6th something to play for, since there's no relegation or continental qualification for 3rd and below. I think the main reason they have it is because that's how the AFL works here, and it seems pretty successful, so they assumed the same could work for soccer as it does for Aussie Rules. Of course this neglected the fact that in every other league in the world it is the team that has been most consistent throughout the league season that is rewarded with the major title, with no ill-effects on excitement or climactic value

And another thing....

The playoff thing at the end of the season doesnt even make sense. The team that wins the league plays 2nd in the semi and then the loser of that game plays the winner of a 3rd and 4th place game. That means the team who loses the first semi final gam gets another chance to get to the final and then THE WORST thing... THE FINAL DOESNT GET PLAYED AT A NEUTRAL GROUND! The team who wins the first semi final has to play AWAY!

This means the team which wins the league is very likely to have to play the final away to the team who finishes second. I'm not sure if the final being away is really how it happens, eems like maybe a bug I'd guess, it is very annoying though as it makes the final completely unfair.

No, perhaps another reason why we have the finals series. With only 8 teams though, it would perhaps seem almost boring playing the same team 4 times or more throughout a regular league season. And FYI the Australian Cup in FM games does not exist, and I really wish they would take it out. So as far as competitive games go, 4 teams only have about 5 games in the Pre-Season Cup and 21 games in the league; with the other 4 having a short stint in finals, and 2 teams having a go at the Asian Champions League.

Considering how young the league is and how many players come and go from clubs it's a tough call. The form team at the moment is Melbourne Victory, but Queensland Roar have some good youngsters. Sydney are kind've the glamour club, who have attracted the likes of Juninho and Dwight Yorke. Perth Glory is unquestionably the worst team in my opinion. I'm not sure if FMH really represents this very accurately though. For example, Archie Thompson of Melb is a fringe international, holds record for most goals in a FIFA international, highest scorer in A-League, bundle of excitement and quite frankly we go to poo when he's not on the field, and yet he's pretty bad on FMH09. I think if I wasn't a Victor supporter I'd recommend either Queensland Roar, or if you feel like a slight challenge, try to get Perth Glory on track

edit: Actually good point Adam; I can't believe I forgot to mention that! Adelaide were runners up in this season's Asian Champions League which is just incredible considering the calibre of a lot of Asian teams and the various restrictions on A-League clubs. Will be in the CWC next month as a result...but I don't like them :p

Not sure if you could win the league with all eight teams in one 30 season game. It would take a lot of luck and its unlikely you'd win it first season with any team and then you'd have to be really lucky to get each job even if they did come up.

Nice idea for a challenge though.

Not sure if you could win the league with all eight teams in one 30 season game. It would take a lot of luck and its unlikely you'd win it first season with any team and then you'd have to be really lucky to get each job even if they did come up.

Nice idea for a challenge though.

I didn't say it would be easy :p But yeah you would need luck to get each job as it came up...

• 5 weeks later...

just tried the aussie league and i won everything in my first season with melbourne victory except the asian champions league cause there not in it. but even in my second season i wasnt entered why is that. any ideas

just tried the aussie league and i won everything in my first season with melbourne victory except the asian champions league cause there not in it. but even in my second season i wasnt entered why is that. any ideas

Its strange, you don't get in until the next again season. Must be due to the times asian seasons finish, you will be in it the following season and in the season you are playing now the previous champions will be in it.

Archived