Managing Random Teams

Wasn't sure how to title this. Anyway I only ever really manage in say england, scotland, spain, italy that sort of stuff. The furthest a field I have ever gone is to manage in the MLS.

What is the most random team you have decided to manage and why? Most importantly did you enjoy it. Think I might try something a bit different at some point.

Does Perth Glory count as random? I managed them for one season on FM08. I quite enjoyed it. I managed Dinamo Moscow for barely a season on 08, but I throughly enjoyed it. Also had a three season game on 08 with Panathinaikos that I enjoyed. Don't know if those are random enough for you. I'm from England, by the way! I suppose there would be nothing random about them if I was Australian, Russian or Greek.

I suppose there would be nothing random about them if I was Australian, Russian or Greek.

lol that is very true, but being from scotland that is random for me. It never crosses my mind to even think about managing in greece for example. I think I need to do this and I am sure it will result in a different gaming experience :D.

I custom-made an international game (a lot of the minor and average international teams plus the big teams and one little league just cos it was mandatory) in FM 07 and was Netherlands Antilles, one of the worst teams in the world (if not the worst). Just my luck, we drew USA in our first World Cup Qualifiers, but only lost 2 or 3-0 on agg.

Club side would be Vasco Da Gama (Brazil) I think it was, in CM 01/02, who were fighting relegation. It was boring and crap.

I want to but never have. I wouldnt know who to manage. Would have to be a European team I think with Champions League potential like Galatasaray, Fenerbache, Panathanikos or Zenit.

Saying that though I've also wanted to manage a team from the Conference North/South and try to bring them up, but again would want a team with the most potential and I know nothing about them teams so wouldnt know who would be the best option.

Technically I'm not sure you can have such a concept as "most random", but since 99% of the world (including myself most of the time) use the word "random" totally incorrectly I guess I'll let it pass.

I very rarely manage a random team. Even when I use the random option when adding a manager I keep pressing it until I get a team I like :p

In truth, I always have to have some kind of tenuous link with the club I am managing. For example, if I have visited the area, or if they play in the same colours of my favourite team, or perhaps even if I just find out something about the club's history that I admire.

However, on FM08, during my career game I managed a few clubs that I would never have considered usually. This is because I was trying to get to the top as soon as possible by jumping ship every time a bigger club or a new opportunity came along. I started off with my beloved St. Albans City with the intention of getting as much glory as quickly as possible.

During that career save, I managed Derry City, because they had been relegated from the top flight of Irish football and I knew I could get a quick promotion with them.

Then I went to Kaiserslauten, as again they were a big side in a second tier and I felt that I could get some glory straight-away.

Following that, I got offered the Ghana national job, which I never would have thought of taking on originally, and I somehow managed to win them the African Cup of Nations.

Afterwards, I got the club job at Leverkusen. I was a bit of a failure there though, which was a pity because I had done so well in the rest of my career.

I do recommend a career/journeyman game for a 'random' experience with a different club, country or competition, which can make the game all the more enjoyable. However, I didn't really get attached to any of the teams as I was just on the look out for glory and I dropped several of them very quickly once I had achived a promotion so that I could move on to bigger things.

'Random' International management is also fun too. In FM07, while managing St. Albans City and taking them to the Premier League, I got offered the Turkey national job. Again, this is a job that I never would have thought to take on without the 'random' factor of being offered it. I took them to a World Cup and got knocked out the quarter-finals. I then had a disasterous Euro qualifying campaign and failed to get them to the tournament. Surprisingly, I wasn't sacked. I look back at my time with Turkey and I must say, I really enjoyed it. In fact, it gave me someone to 'support' in the real Euros last summer.

However, sometimes my random choices don't go so well and I can't get into the game with them. I chose Chimney Corner once, just because of the name (which is taken from a poem and I liked the idea of this very much). But I couldn't seem to get stuck in. Similarly, Karlskoga in Sweden, who I chose simply because of their colours.

In FM09, as I mess around with the game and get used to it, I have toyed with the idea of starting a short-term game with Port Talbot Town in the Welsh Premier (as my wife's family are originally from there) but I'm not sure I will be able to enjoy it in the same way as a good save with my favourite team.

I will probably be sticking with my favourite team, St. Albans City, for a long-term save in FM09. However, I am intending to load some 'random' international minnows into the game for some future exploits as a bit of a sideshow to my main game with the Saints. The countries I will be loading are the bottom 5 of the UEFA rankings: San Marino, Malta, Andorra, Luxembourg and Faroe Islands. I have also loaded all of the Nordic countries. These are kind of 'random' choices based on my love of managing minnows and also my desire to try something different in Northern Europe too rather than the usual well-trod paths.

• Administrators

Had a couple of cracking save games with Red Star Belgrade and Metalist from the Ukraine.

I've just started a save game where I've imported my local team Ardley United into the Blue Square South, am currently dead last after 16 games - hardest challenge I've ever taken on in FM! :D

I usually manage in England, so anything else is random for me - I had a game in charge of Bari (Italian smallish club) and one in charge of ADO Den Haag (Dutch team) but didn't really enjoy them, I guess I didnt know enough about the leagues really.

Had a couple of cracking save games with Red Star Belgrade and Metalist from the Ukraine.

I've just started a save game where I've imported my local team Ardley United into the Blue Square South, am currently dead last after 16 games - hardest challenge I've ever taken on in FM! :D

Hahaha I love managing teams in the Conference South, on FM08 anyways. I found it to be such an easy league. I would manage one team until I got them promoted to the Conference Premier and then take on a newly promoted Conference South side. I found it to be quite fun. :thup:

Archived