Eduardo

Seeing as release is usually october time, we have around 7-8 months to see what happens before the database for 09 will have to be finalised.

If it looks like he'll recover, he'll be entered in with a recovery date, and treated by FM as if he had the stats he has right now but had been out for a year injured. If it looks like he'll never be the same player again (recoverong but with serious complications) they may tone down his stats even further, while if it looks like he'll be retiring, they may just retire him.

He won't be the first player out for an extensive amount of time they've had to deal with. Imagine how much harder it is when they break their leg in july to judge the eventual effect?

I'd be amazed if he came back from that with Aresenal. Looks to me from the pics like he's done both fractures of the tibia ABD fibula and right in the ankle vicinity.

30 years ago he'd have lost his foot..

Now he'll walk, but I would think he'll loose a lot of the motor flexibility in that limb when its bolted back together.

Never know tho.

Best of luck init.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matthiele:

taylor should be banned for as long as da silva is injured for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's clearly too harsh, these tackles do, unfortunately, happen, but I dont think he was trying to break eduardo's leg, so let's not burn the guy at the stake in the media frenzy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toon07:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matthiele:

taylor should be banned for as long as da silva is injured for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's clearly too harsh, these tackles do, unfortunately, happen, but I dont think he was trying to break eduardo's leg, so let's not burn the guy at the stake in the media frenzy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, I don't think anyone sets out to do that on purpose. If anything this sort of injury is a consequence of a league containing such a gulf in skill.

Arsenal are effectively not only a yard faster but 1-2 seconds faster in the turn and movement on the ball than these duffer teams.

You watched the highlights of that match? Arsenal players were constantly pulling out of challenges or turning the ball. Could have had 5 broken legs.

This is, ironically, a result of the lame standard of football in the league.

If the big 4 weren't 50 million pounds better than everyone else it probably wouldn't happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toon07:

I think that's clearly too harsh, these tackles do, unfortunately, happen, but I dont think he was trying to break eduardo's leg, so let's not burn the guy at the stake in the media frenzy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a sad state, but these tackles are far more common than people realize. I always cringe when such a thing happens, and wonder what would happen should the player have his studs firmly in the ground. Unfortunately today, we saw what happens. And its well and truly grotesque. I personally feel we have been lucky to see this kind of injury as rare as we have, but action must be taken towards such a tackle. I'm in no mood to discuss football laws, or debate the points of interest that would arise in such a discussion, but it desperately needs to be looked at.

As a football fan, and an Arsenal fan, I prey to god this doesn't end his career.

I also hope people don't look down harshly on Taylor. I honestly believe he didn't intentionally commit such a foul. The remorse on his face afterwards will live in my memory.

I bet Mcleish is now wishing he had sold him to us at christmas...only time will tell but lets all hope Eduardo makes a good recovery. I'm sure no expense will be spared on his treatment and if anyone can bring him back to what he his, its Wenger and Arsenal.

These sort of tackles are stupid, you should not be allowed to jump in with ur studs facing the players legs.

From a tactical perspective: Even if he did hit the ball, what are the chances that he wouldve cleared it or won the ball? With a jump in like that he is dead stupid. I get so frustrated and mad at people who cannot just try to play the game as it is suppose to be. The people that are defending him: Did you guys see the tackle?? He broke the guys foot right off. And look at the studs, they are facing directly to Eduardos ankle.

I am really upset and honestly I hope he is banned for atleast a significant ammount of time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I also hope people don't look down harshly on Taylor. I honestly believe he didn't intentionally commit such a foul. The remorse on his face afterwards will live in my memory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too believe that. just a bad combination of a clumsy challange and Eduardo being way to skillful and quick for Taylor.

I really don't think that Eduardo will play again. It will take an amazing surgeon just to reattatch the blood vessels that will inevitably have been severed. He's actually quite lucky that an artery wasn't burst or he could have been facing even more serious problems.

Having read a lot of forums across the web it seems that many people want Taylor banned for as long as Eduardo is out (some even for life), but I'm not sure that's the right idea. Surely Lucas Neill would have been exiled a long time ago if that were to be the case. It wasn't a tackle that was a million miles away from dozens of others that you could have seen up and down the country today, just that the outcome was atrocious.

Spare a thought for David Busst, formerly of Coventry City, who has faced much more difficult financial times since a similar injury than Eduardo will ever have to. I wish Eduardo the best of luck. I wonder if they'll give him a job on staff like they did for Daniel Karbassiyoon when he retired due to knee problems. Maybe he would be a useful scout or ambassador in the region around Croatia.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hufton:

I really don't think that Eduardo will play again. It will take an amazing surgeon just to reattatch the blood vessels that will inevitably have been severed. He's actually quite lucky that an artery wasn't burst or he could have been facing even more serious problems.

Having read a lot of forums across the web it seems that many people want Taylor banned for as long as Eduardo is out (some even for life), but I'm not sure that's the right idea. Surely Lucas Neill would have been exiled a long time ago if that were to be the case. It wasn't a tackle that was a million miles away from dozens of others that you could have seen up and down the country today, just that the outcome was atrocious.

Spare a thought for David Busst, formerly of Coventry City, who has faced much more difficult financial times since a similar injury than Eduardo will ever have to. I wish Eduardo the best of luck. I wonder if they'll give him a job on staff like they did for Daniel Karbassiyoon when he retired due to knee problems. Maybe he would be a useful scout or ambassador in the region around Croatia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could not agree more with that statement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

6-8 weeks for healing. IF he doesnt get an infection.

Could be back playing in 3-5 months. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no chance.

i broke both my tibia and fibula just above the ankle whilst playing football. that was a double break, its been reported that eduardo had a triple break.

it took me 1 month in a wheel chair, then it went from crutches to limping about. Then to light jogging, that whole process took 6 months.

took me a year to get back to full football training, and that was only sunday league.

plus its left me with a small limp. ive heard that a limp can affect your game?

No disrespect silcock but I bet you did not have access to multi million pound facilities, the very best physios that money buy etc etc etc. While I agree the 3-5 month is optimistic he should be back sooner than people first thought just due to the money, time and effort that will be spent on him that unfortunatly us humble commoners do not recieve.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by silcock69:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

6-8 weeks for healing. IF he doesnt get an infection.

Could be back playing in 3-5 months. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no chance.

i broke both my tibia and fibula just above the ankle whilst playing football. that was a double break, its been reported that eduardo had a triple break.

it took me 1 month in a wheel chair, then it went from crutches to limping about. Then to light jogging, that whole process took 6 months.

took me a year to get back to full football training, and that was only sunday league.

plus its left me with a small limp. ive heard that a limp can affect your game? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, i'd say 18 months is a better time frame before he's training again. If at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maviarab:

No disrespect silcock but I bet you did not have access to multi million pound facilities, the very best physios that money buy etc etc etc. While I agree the 3-5 month is optimistic he should be back sooner than people first thought just due to the money, time and effort that will be spent on him that unfortunatly us humble commoners do not recieve. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think that will have a massiv effect on healing time. maybe a month or two, but it can't make the bone heal faster than it heals.

With the greatest of respect, that is hugely moronic. It is debateable whetehr it was even a booking,never mind a red.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oringinally posted by NepentheZ:

but action must be taken towards such a tackle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it shouldn't. Like you have already said you are an Artsenal fan, so you are bound to say that. It was a mistimed challenge and that is all. Barely deserving of a yellow card, never mind a red. The FA should recind that rec card if they have any sense.

Fair enough, in that same post you say that you don't think Taylor intentionally set out to hurt Eduardo, so why make your first statement?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hufton:

Having read a lot of forums across the web it seems that many people want Taylor banned for as long as Eduardo is out (some even for life) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those people are stupid.

There are some injuries that no amount of treatment will ever put right. I really do hope Eduardo does get back to full fitness because he is one of the most natural finishers in the game at the moment and it has been a privilege to watch him, especially when he was taking apart my beloved Blackburn, but it will be a long hard road if he is to get back. Unfortunately I can't see it happening myself, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Everyone demanding a lifetime ban are probably Arsenal fans who are upset by the injury (and rightly so). However, I think after some time people will realise that the intent was never there, just like Wenger apologised for his comments.

The irony is that tackles much worse than this never cause injuries but one which was only one-footed and with no intent of harming the player caused such a serious injury.

I hope that Eduardo will fully recover from this but there is something which tells me he may never recover from this. Anyone remember Cisse's injury a couple of years ago?

Thats very true NepentheZ, but you understand where I'm coming from. If it was you me or any other working person it would be a long long time before we got any resonable amount of treatment, then a wait for physio work etc etc.... top pro footballer will get that all done and paid for by the club etc with no expense spared at world class facilities. So naturally, he will get fitter quicker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

I don't think that will have a massiv effect on healing time. maybe a month or two, but it can't make the bone heal faster than it heals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he does get back then the physiotherapy that Arsenal can give him will make a huge difference because it isn't just about the bone healing. They have to work him up to the bone bearing his full weight again, and then they also have to rebuild all of the muscle that will waste away while he can't use his leg properly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomtuck01:

With the greatest of respect, that is hugely moronic. It is debateable whetehr it was even a booking,never mind a red.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oringinally posted by NepentheZ:

No it shouldn't. Like you have already said you are an Artsenal fan, so you are bound to say that. It was a mistimed challenge and that is all. Barely deserving of a yellow card, never mind a red. The FA should recind that rec card if they have any sense.

Fair enough, in that same post you say that you don't think Taylor intentionally set out to hurt Eduardo, so why make your first statement?

Having read a lot of forums across the web it seems that many people want Taylor banned for as long as Eduardo is out (some even for life) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those people are stupid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really should read my post fully before you decide to debate my point. I'm saying ALL tackles of this kind should be dealt with in the most severe of manners. They happen a lot, just not with such terrible consequences, and that must be addressed.

Maviarab - Yes. Things like waiting lists, etc, would be bypassed due to this. I agree.

Whilst I believe there was no malice on Taylors part, the FA have to hand out a lengthy ban to send a message out to to the EPL that bad/clumsy challanges will not be tolerated. Taylor just gonna be the one to have to take it on the chin. But something needs to be done as has been said before, you see them week in week out throught the leagues.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arsenal_2111:

i dont believe that Taylor set out to injure Eduardo, but still think that he should serve a hefty ban. I feel sorry for Taylor, he must feel bloody awful,but he could have ruined a players life! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You kind of contradicted your own point there as giving him a lengthy ban WOULD ruin HIS life, nevermind Eduardo's!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maviarab:

Whilst I believe there was no malice on Taylors part, the FA have to hand out a lengthy ban to send a message out to to the EPL that bad/clumsy challanges will not be tolerated. Taylor just gonna be the one to have to take it on the chin. But something needs to be done as has been said before, you see them week in week out throught the leagues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clumsy challengs are just that, clumsy. Why should a player be banned for mistiming a tackle?

And those sort of tackles SHOULDN'T be punished heftily, it was clumsy and mistimed, nothing more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomtuck01:

Those people are stupid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

of cos it was a red card offence. the studs were clearly showing and it was a dangerous tackle. this is not the 70s anymore.

God forbid that Birmingham ever qualify for Europe and get drawn against a Croatian team. Taylor won't be able to go because of safety concerns, they'd kill him for this. They take football and hooliganism very seriously in that part of the world.

A ban for what?

Fouling a player, the result of which is a seriously broken leg?

He's been sent off and will get a ban for that, but the ban will be in line with what is expected of a poorly timed tackle, rather than something you might expect for dangerous play or violent conduct.

As someone who's had more than my fair share of rugby injuries, I sympathise with Eduardo, but demanding that Taylor be banned for months is ridiculous. There was absolutely no malice at all in the challenge and Taylor was attempting to win the ball. He was beaten to the ball, (comfortably), by a quicker, more intelligent and more skillful player.

I personally haven't seen the injury and have no intention of doing so in the future. I turned away when it was shown on MOTD as I have seen that sort of injury before and have no desire to see it again. The David Busst thing still makes me cringe even now, (and I'm not squeemish).

Even Wenger, (who is so biased, blinkered and closeted in the defence of his players and Arsenal as a club), has come out and recanted his earlier comments that were made in the heat of the moment.

I hope that we will see Eduardo play again at the top level, (as he riminded me of a young Robbie Fowler in his pomp), but I fear that it may never happen despite the brilliant advances in this type of surgery.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by silcock69:

i think a 5 match ban would be fair enough. the player didnt go in with intent and the referee dealt with the situation. The players also apologised. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Given what you just said, why a 5 match ban then?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andyinuk:

Im guessing you are one of the peiople who has seen slow motion pictures and still photo's then?

Look at it in real time and Martin Taylor hardly touches him. The referee only showed the red after seeing the state of the guy's leg. That doesn't make the challenge deserving of a red card. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you should not be allowed to jump in with ur studs facing the players legs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're not - that's why he was sent off.

And regarding other comments (on this forum and others) you should only punish the offence, not the result of the offence. Taylor's actions could have resulted in Eduardo being out for a month, a week, or even the length of time it takes for the magic sponge to work - his studs were showing, it was a sending off.

Although that early in the game I suspect it would have been a yellow if the ref didn't notice Eduardo's leg was now resting in three pieces in his sock.

Whoops messed up that last post!!

i think a 5 match ban would be fair enough. the player didnt go in with intent and the referee dealt with the situation. The players also apologised. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Given what you just said, why a 5 match ban then?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andyinuk:

of cos it was a red card offence. the studs were clearly showing and it was a dangerous tackle. this is not the 70s anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im guessing you are one of the people who has seen slow motion pictures and still photo's then?

Look at it in real time and Martin Taylor hardly touches him. The referee only showed the red after seeing the state of the guy's leg. That doesn't make the challenge deserving of a red card.

Whilst I believe there was no malice on Taylors part, the FA have to hand out a lengthy ban to send a message out to to the EPL that bad/clumsy challanges will not be tolerated. Taylor just gonna be the one to have to take it on the chin. But something needs to be done as has been said before, you see them week in week out throught the leagues. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clumsy challengs are just that, clumsy. Why should a player be banned for mistiming a tackle?

And those sort of tackles SHOULDN'T be punished heftily, it was clumsy and mistimed, nothing more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not fair though. It doesn't matter if he mistimed it or not, he still tackled Eduardo, and his tackle was deemed to be red card worthy.

I could clumsily wave my arm around in the penalty box and if the ball hits it, then its a penalty, no doubt, even though I didn't mean for it to happen that way.

I'm sorry but your blind to what will happen. If that statement causes an argument then so be it.

His foot was 'high' and his studs were showing. Yes it was clumsy, I don't think there was intent, but as stated previous, his foot was high and studs facing Eduardo. Now you really must be blind or worse to not see this happen every single week throught the leagues. It is a miracle of sorts that this type of injury has not been seen more. Sooner or later says the law of averages, the more it happens the more will eventually start getting injured.

Now you please tell me, if it goes unpunished (above the normal red card ban) you tell me what every defender and midfielder up and down the counrty will think? I can tell you know but I'd like to know if you posess the intelligence to answer me? That is why the FA 'must' act on this, unfortunatly for Taylor I agree, but this type of tackle (not just clumsy but clumsy and dangerous) must be filtered out of the game.

If you cannot understand this then I weep for the future, Sorry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Look at it in real time and Martin Taylor hardly touches him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've seen it a number of times tonight, and he almost bends his foot off his ankle. Hardly a 'touch' as you say.

saying that eduardo is quicker and more skilful than taylor is no reason for a tackle like he made. if you saw the tackle it was a lunge directly at eduardo with his studs first. it has nothing to do with whether eduardo is more skilful or quicker. it has a lot to do with the fact that many english teams believe that the way to win games is to smash the opposition.

of course he didnt want to brake da silva's leg, he just wanted to stop him any way he could and damn the consequences. well now da silve could be out for life or at the very least will never be the same player. thank you thug soccer!

To punish Taylor more harshly than other challenges that don't result in shattered bones will set a precedent for the future - all tackles of that nature that DON'T result in injury will have to be more severely punished.

If you still think that a raised stud tackle should mean a ten-game ban then I won't argue with you. It's an opinion I don't agree with but I'll respect it.

Archived