When you're struggling to get results...

What do you tweak first?

Players?

Formation?

Tactics?

I have played FM/CM since 93/94 and I must admit, I do miss the days of good old CM2 sometimes when there weren't quite so many things to have to worry about!! There is so much to consider now, and I don't think my brain handles it too well now! haha.

I'm playing as Darlington, cos I enjoy a bit of a challenge - and it's reeeeally annoying me how inconsistent the players can be. I've won a few games, but I'm obviously doing SOMETHING wrong you know. But I just can't seem to work it out!

Should I stick with a formation, and then keep tweaking the other 2 things til I find one that works? What do you guys do generally speaking? Just looking for some managerial advice pretty much!

Training has probably got a lot to do with it. It's not something I've ever bothered to spend a lot of time on. I guess I'll have to get used to it though! Any training tips I can borrow? haha

Create different schedules for Att/Def etc...Focussing on att bits for att etc... Overall set to just below high.

Hire & fire your Coaches, get the best & Assign one coach with the best attribute for each aspect of training: Tactics/Att/Def/Set Pieces/Shooting/Ball control/Gk/Fitness x2.

GK/Fitness x2.

Hey Rendog, I'm playing as Darlington too!

I dunno what else to add, the team is absolutely useless. :D lol

I've spent hours trying to perfect each player's playing style, setting up trainings etc only to have no difference and sometimes play worse!

What's annoying is we have one amazing match where we beat the top of the league team away 3-1 and I didn't change much after that match but we play nowhere near that quality now!

They're effing DREADFUL. This is getting on my nerves now! But I've loaned in some amazing players, I should be getting results. I just can't see where I'm going wrong :(

edit - and your point about beating top of the league 3-1 is kind of what annoys me about this game sometimes. How can you go from that, to getting stuffed by some rubbish side?

I found switching the players around if they're not performing works a treat. If a player is on the losing side a lot, their confidence seems to go out of the window. My best player in the prem thus far has been this young polish kid who isn't particularly great, but scored on his debut and has had such self-belief ever since that it's making him play way, way above his ability. He just doesn't stop working all game and is pretty much keeping me clear of relegation while the rest of my team is being rotated so much they must be dizzy :)

He'll probably turn out to be the next Cadamarteri, but that's football.

To follow this on... What does everyone else do for "opposition instructions". I usually close down both wingers and the two centre forwards? Is this a good move or not?

If one of the strikers you are closing down are fast then do not close them down, set the instruction to tight marking

Archived