[FM 08]Turning potential into World Class.

I've got in my ranks, that i've signed over the last few years, seven or eight players who 'could be leading stars for most premier league teams' if they become what they are capable of becoming. They're a mix of 15, 16, 17 and 18 year olds.

Now, I understand sending them out on loan to lower league teams might help them a bit, but what if I leave a player in my Premier League team's reserves?

I've got great coaches and such.

Also, how much of an affect would 'learning from X' have?

Hopefully you guys can help me out with some answers and suggestions.. i'll no doubt be back shortly with extra questions in this thread.

Cheers.

My tactic is to make sure they stay in the U18s until they hit 18 unless they are capable of coming off the bench for the seniors. Generally they'll be out on loan at a championship club just after they hit 18 if they can't make the team yet, and will stay on loan until they are about 19 and a half. Then they come back and come on a subs to test whether they'll perform, and then hopefully slot into the team.

The team I have now is full of great players and my kids will never get into the team.

Will they progress faster on loan in League One than they will in the reserves?

Send them out to an affiliate club so are getting first team football, if its not possible at your own.

To max out stats will have to edit training facilities of the affiliate and coaches, other wise are going to be training in sub standard conditions, with jouneyman coaches. not modern elite premier acadamy

In my experience, players develop best when playing regularly at a "challenging" level.

Most U-18s will develop well just playing for the U-18s. Some young players are however somewhat more advanced in their development - the ones that already look tasty at that age. They won't benefit half as much from games at such a low level, but may thrive in reserve games or from REGULAR playing experience at a SUITABLE level on a loan spell.

You can basically think of the various leagues (including reserves and U-18) as having different levels - and players playing in that league will never/rarely progress much beyond that level. A wonderkid playing in the Faroe Isles league is never going to fulfil his potential. If you look at a youngster and think "he's pretty decent for a championship player", then a loan spell in the championship is probably a good idea, but playing in League 2 is probably not going to help any more. Of course, because the premier league is of a higher standard, giving the player experience in the first team can also help (easy games vs relegation fodder, sub appearances once a game is wrapped up, as well as cup appearances).

I would assume that the inner workings are something like this (very simplified): Each league has a rating (maybe just reputation) that determines how good that league is. Players with enough potential and regularly playing in a league will develop until they reach the standard of the league (or thereabouts). So players with low potential will generally reach their potential wherever they play (their potential is less than or equal to the standard of the league they are playing in); players with high potential still progress at lower levels, but at some point will hit a brick wall in their development (whenever their current ability reaches the standard of the league) - to reach their potential will need to be playing at the top level at some point.

Generally I do the following:

Put most youngsters in the U-18s for a few seasons until they've progressed a bit, then move them to the reserves. Some youngster go straight into the reserves if they're already better developed. If a player reaches 19 and hasn't developed enough to be even backup to the reserves, show them the door.

The players then are likely to stay in the reserves for at least 2 more years (unless they're absolutely amazing). Reserve games are generally a good enough standard for most players to continue to progress at this age (17-19/20). Most players will get the odd cameo with the first team; the more promising players will get to play in easy games to blood them.

I'm willing to loan out reserve players if:

a) I think they'll get regular playing time (always add a recall clause just in case they don't; sitting on the bench at a League 1 team WON'T help!)

b) The league is of a suitable standard for the player to improve

c) The club loaning the player has acceptable training facilities

SJM, Thankyou very much for taking the time to write that out and it's very appreciated. A few things to follow up ask, what sort of standard are the reserve leagues for Premier sides, would they be above Championship, above League One?

And the other major thing i've wondered, if I play someone sparcely throughout the season, perhaps a game every 8 games, would it do much? And if I bought someone on for the last 30 minutes, would it have the same effect as bringing someone on for the last 3 minutes?

well me personally i have delph who has good enough stats for league 1 but he has the potential to be a quality player thing

so i'm playing him all this season in league 1 and hopefully by next season he will have the ability to play championship level

killing league 1 though

25 wins 4 draws 3 loses clear by 13 points of brighton

delph average rating 7.07 23 games 7 goals (midfielder) 19 years old now in my season

My feelings (based on past versions) are that the reserve games aren't anywhere near Championship level in terms of player development. On the other hand, loan spells in League 2 haven't seemed that beneficial for my premiership players as compared to remaining at the club. At the moment I'm tending towards League 1 and upwards in terms of loans.

I don't know whether the fact that my club has top class training facilities and coaches whereas League 2 teams have diddly-squat is making a difference though; whenever players come back their training causes their attributes to shoot through the roof. So it might be a case of players improving overall but looking worse for it because the training was rubbish and they've therefore lost loads of points in key attributes.

I don't think it's that important whether reserve games are similar to League 2 or whatever - what's important is to follow your player's and make sure they're developing. If not, they've either peaked or need to play at a higher level than they are currently. By this point in their development, the players ought to be making it into your first team or at least be loaned to other EPL or better Championship sides after earlier stints with lower sides.

I'm not sure about the playing time. I'd reckon that 10 versions ago it didn't make a blind bit of difference, but know playing time over the season is tracked by the game - so I'd suppose that it may well make a difference.

As for how many games - a few games will go a long way with real youngsters. I like to give my really promising 16/17 year olds 5-10 cameos in their first season and maybe 10-20 games in their second season, including some starting appearances. n.b. I'm assuming a 50-ish game season including cups and Europe.

Thanks for all your advice guys!

I've done something right, i've got a defensive midfielder now, someone I bought for £270,000 (+30% sell on) in 2013/14, he's had 2 spells on loan at FC Ultrecht, one at Sheff United and one at Wigan, and now i'm in October of 2018 and he's regarded as a leading star for premier league sides!

Appreciate all the help so far.. I wonder if I can get myself a team of 11 kids i've bought through the ranks (technically).

Archived