Throw me a bone here..

man this game is getting more fustrating as the years go on,

The ass manager comes on and says things like "we are controling the game" when in truth we are not.

Or he may say"although we are having alot of shots on goal most of them are from ranged" when I have ALL my players to rarely shot from range and a short passing game..

Ok before all the people jump in and say the normal"its your tactic's,the very next game with the same tactics I will have very few long range shots and it almost feels like I am in charge.

Get that last part "I am in charge"

I ask players to close down but it doesnt happen,tey just seem to turn there back on the player.

A question for the die hard fans(yep I am one but would like your thoughts)

How many times with a short passing game have you seen(by your own team and the other team)a pass back to the keeper he stands there for a bit then just launches it up field for the striker to either score or sometime's go close,this happens way to often,when I say way I really mean "MY GOD NOT AGAIN" even when it is my team doing it.

I did find it funny when I scored 2 times like this (keeper to sticker to goal and the ass manager said my keepers passing was bad).

This match engine is really bad atm and needs to be sorted out asap,btw I wont even go into the injuries as that has been covered.

Yep this may seem a whinning post but I tell it like I see it,I am all for a challenge but like the title say's throw me a bone,every team has some stabilty about it but at the moment there is none in this game.

I agree with Serpico, if you have patched, then am afraid "Its your tactics!!"

Certain points of the ass.man reports I have found really confusing as well, one line he could be saying that "Player X is getting skinned" then the next line it says "Player X is playing well today"

Just because you set all your players to not shoot long, and play short passing game doesn't mean the players will always stick to this, players with any sort of intelligence will shoot if they sniff a goal, and passing is a quality which all players like to flaunt.

I agree with Serpico, if you have patched, then am afraid "Its your tactics!!"

Certain points of the ass.man reports I have found really confusing as well, one line he could be saying that "Player X is getting skinned" then the next line it says "Player X is playing well today"

Just because you set all your players to not shoot long, and play short passing game doesn't mean the players will always stick to this, players with any sort of intelligence will shoot if they sniff a goal, and passing is a quality which all players like to flaunt.

I love the the "players with any sort of intelligence will shoot if they sniff a goal"

I have players shooting from 30+yards when I have told them not too,even when I go through the player tactics and not team they are still at it,also come on just be honest how many times do you see your keeper just standing there with the ball at feet then hitting it long and the forward just hitting it in?

I am sorry if you think I havent patched or it is my tactics but I know I have patched and indeed tried many many different tactics to solve this,again as every year some players live in denial.

I agree that the keeper to striker goals and chances are happening way to often. I do not agree with your statement that the match engine is poor. I think it is brilliant and perhaps a little too realistic and advanced.

I am starting to think that it is not simply your tactic that is the most important factor anymore, but it is more of how your tactic plays against the other teams tactic. For example, you say they are taking long shots despite the fact you have short passing on, but the bottom line is if your player doesn't have an option, whether short passing is set or not, he is going to shoot. So the question becomes how to get more passing options in the opposing 3rd. I find that previous year's methods of finding a good tactic and using it until it doesn't work anymore is not so true this year. I find I have to change my tactic almost every game to suit that opposition, the weather, and the pitch.

I was just recently struggling badly with form using a quick tempo short passing game, and I had a game in which the scouting report said my opponent pushes forward and the pitch favors long balls. I changed my tactic to adjust to this and used a counter-attacking defensive formation with long balls over their head and I won 3-0. I really honestly thought I would have lost the match with my usual tactic and I think it is a sign that 09 requires much more tactical thought in each match.

I have honestly changed my tactic quite abit,tactics wise,I mean I wont keep changing my formation....what team does?

Every team has a formation and I do like real life manager's change tactic's to suit but having players changing there play style every other game does not happen,maybe if you are always barnet playing man utd but not in a league.

Tell me 1 team that changes there formation and tactics for every game...there are none.

Yes they may chose to do a more defensive or attacking way to play but they always have there basic way to line up.

Hands up any team they go to watch that 1 week has a 442 then the next 352 then the next a 433,it doesnt happen and when they play home and they use a 442 the dont change that to a 352 just for the sake of it.

man this game is getting more fustrating as the years go on,

The ass manager comes on and says things like "we are controling the game" when in truth we are not.

Or he may say"although we are having alot of shots on goal most of them are from ranged" when I have ALL my players to rarely shot from range and a short passing game..

Ok before all the people jump in and say the normal"its your tactic's,the very next game with the same tactics I will have very few long range shots and it almost feels like I am in charge.

Get that last part "I am in charge"

I ask players to close down but it doesnt happen,tey just seem to turn there back on the player.

A question for the die hard fans(yep I am one but would like your thoughts)

How many times with a short passing game have you seen(by your own team and the other team)a pass back to the keeper he stands there for a bit then just launches it up field for the striker to either score or sometime's go close,this happens way to often,when I say way I really mean "MY GOD NOT AGAIN" even when it is my team doing it.

I did find it funny when I scored 2 times like this (keeper to sticker to goal and the ass manager said my keepers passing was bad).

This match engine is really bad atm and needs to be sorted out asap,btw I wont even go into the injuries as that has been covered.

Yep this may seem a whinning post but I tell it like I see it,I am all for a challenge but like the title say's throw me a bone,every team has some stabilty about it but at the moment there is none in this game.

Better than the THREE goal kicks I have seen that bounce at the other end of the pitch and seem to then bounce off the keepers head into the goal.......

I love every year when players say it is "your tactics" and you mention that no team changes there tactics set up every game they go so quiet.

Guys I love the game but there has to be a happy medium where you have a set up and you have to tweak it for different games but for gods sake stop comming on and saying "its your tactics" my tactics work,as does every other teams in football,It works for them,even the likes of Man utd dont change from a 4-4-2 or maybe a 4-4-1-1 to a 5-4-1 or indeed a 5-1-3-1,they play to there strengths and what they know is best,so why should this game be any different?

Maybe if the game goes against them at later stages then they can change but very very rarely do you see any team line up different to what they are used to.

I love every year when players say it is "your tactics" and you mention that no team changes there tactics set up every game they go so quiet.

Guys I love the game but there has to be a happy medium where you have a set up and you have to tweak it for different games but for gods sake stop comming on and saying "its your tactics" my tactics work,as does every other teams in football,It works for them,even the likes of Man utd dont change from a 4-4-2 or maybe a 4-4-1-1 to a 5-4-1 or indeed a 5-1-3-1,they play to there strengths and what they know is best,so why should this game be any different?

Maybe if the game goes against them at later stages then they can change but very very rarely do you see any team line up different to what they are used to.

the post quoted above indicates that you don't know the difference between tactics and formation... so yeah, it's a pretty safe bet it's your tactics.

the post quoted above indicates that you don't know the difference between tactics and formation... so yeah, it's a pretty safe bet it's your tactics.

Yep i agree it is my tactics,thats for sure...now if you can just send me to the right person to stop my keeper from sending the ball straight to my forward or vice verse than that would be good....or indeed the fact (yawn)I give every player the tactic to rarely shoot from range yet every shot does,I have even tried tactics for all midfielders to always do through balls never to shoot and always cross,honest every I have spent hours upon hours doing different tactics and yet I get the same thing"we are having many shots but all from ranged"

Now I know you guys that cant see past the game but just try it and see,I kid you not I have tried with now 6 different cola champ teams and always the same result.

Yep i agree it is my tactics,thats for sure...now if you can just send me to the right person to stop my keeper from sending the ball straight to my forward or vice verse than that would be good....or indeed the fact (yawn)I give every player the tactic to rarely shoot from range yet every shot does,I have even tried tactics for all midfielders to always do through balls never to shoot and always cross,honest every I have spent hours upon hours doing different tactics and yet I get the same thing"we are having many shots but all from ranged"

Now I know you guys that cant see past the game but just try it and see,I kid you not I have tried with now 6 different cola champ teams and always the same result.

Creative solutions time: Your midfielder is outside the box. Generally, a midfielder outside the box will look for a pass. If your midfielder is shooting every time, it means you don't have the players in the right place to receive a pass from him. Consider getting one of your strikers to drop a bit deeper to provide a link between the attack and midfield, or if you are using an AM then stop him from bombing into the box all the time. Take a look at where your wingers are, and adjust mentality and width to get them into a better receiving position.

These smaller settings will in fact be different for each game, as your opposition won't always play with the same defensive line, closing down, etc.

Have you read the Tactical Theorems & Frameworks guide in the Tactics forum? It might give you a lot of help in developing solutions to problems like this one.

Indeed it shows you didnt read the thread just the quoted text.....

fair enough, but...

even the likes of Man utd dont change from a 4-4-2 or maybe a 4-4-1-1 to a 5-4-1 or indeed a 5-1-3-1,they play to there strengths and what they know is best,so why should this game be any different?
that's not changing tactics, that's changing formation. you can change tactics without changing the formation. the likes of Man Utd often make tactical adjustments in the course of a game.

if you don't want to read everything they wrote, there is a link to a downloadable (clink "download link") package with a crib sheet for the short version.

there are other approaches to tactics, but this one is pretty comprehensive and effective.

bear in mind that some phenomena such as the ones you mention can be the result of several instructions having an effect on each other.

also, get a good ass man if you can afford it (as you point out i didn't read teh thread all that carefully, so i don't remember who you are playing as). sometimes their feedback is useful. for example, i had a gap between midfield and strikers, which turned out to be from too big of a gap in mentality between strikers and mf.

it may take a little longer to read through the crib sheet and rebuild your tactics based on those principles from the ground up than to find a quick fix for a specific problem (too many long shots) but it's worth it and you will avoid many problems that way. i find that often quick fixes cause other problems.

be advised though that the sample formations included in the download are NOT finished tactics, merely illustrative. seems like you're more interested in building your own tactics anyway...

good luck with it.

Infact I have sometimes found the ass manager to be pretty fustrating,

At 1 point he will say "we are playing well and keeping the ball well" and below this he will say "our passing has been quite bad today"

can someone tell me how to sort this?I mean how can we keep the ball but be passing badly?I take it that 1 player is standing in the corner with the ball then as we cant seem to pass it but keep the ball well.

Archived