players unfit at start of season

is there a guide anywhere on how to get my squad fully fit for the start of the season? here what ive tried.

as liverpool ive played 5 friendlies pre season

ive subbed most the players at half time

ive had the whole squad on a pre season training schedule of -

strength and aerobic - lowest high setting - overall workload light

i have 4 fitness coaches with strength and aerobic at 7 stars

im now goin into my first game in europe (13th august) with all of my squad at around 90% fitness.

what am i doin wrong?

This is what i do to get players on 100% at the start of the season.....it works on pretty much any training schedule....work backwards arranging 4 friendly games

- final pre season game about 10 days before the season starts

- arrange your 3rd pre season game 7 days before the 4th one

- arrange the 2nd game about 3 or 4 days before the 3rd

- as above for the 1st one

play your first team for 45 minutes for the first 3 games subbing them all at ht, in the 4th and final game play them 90 minutes if possible

First thing I do is cancel a couple of friendlies to give my players more recovery time. Then I devise a pre-season training schedule that makes sure training is as light as possible. I up the workload once the season starts.

First thing I do is cancel a couple of friendlies to give my players more recovery time.

:thup: I found that a lot of my friendlies were within 2 days of each other, in order to avoid injuries i've taken to making 11 subs at half time, but that means that every player is quite low on condition when it's time to pick a team for the second friendly.

Cancelling friendlies and making 11 subs at half time seems to have sorted condition and injuries for me, I only had one player with a slight knock come the start of the season.

I let my assistant manager take control of friendlies, and he usually subs 8+ players. Usually goes something like:

Play big clubs every 4 days to get some money, up until 2 weeks before first league game of the season.

10 days before the first game play either a tiny club or U18s (morale booster). I recommend tiny club be rivals if you have one.

Then at the start of the season all my players are on 100% (exception of injuries/recently recovering from injuries)

Edit: As for training schedule, every position, except GK is at the top of medium intensity overall. GK are at the top of heavy.

i make a training program called 'PRESEASON'

this basically consists of very high aerobic and strength training(and nothing else). Throw them all in there. Arrange 4/5 friendlies.. i like to play my U-18s and reserve squad a lot as it has multiples benefits. High morale as i am likely to trash them and the benefit of playing as many of my players as possible since i can play almost all my players in one match.

Once i am approaching the beginning of the league i assign the players to their own class of training, such as DC, WINGERS, MIDFIELDERS, FORWARDS.

works like a charm.

I personally try and get my key players (DC/MC) to play a few entire matches and try not to sub them off. Their get to 'match fitness' quicker this way. If you sub them off at half time then they aren't playing enough football to get fit.

I always end preseason with a game 1st 11 against 2nd 11. That way all my players play a full 90 minutes a week before the first league game. I find that helps as not only to they get the time on the pitch, they also get a week to recover.

the thing i find annoyin is that if i dont play enough friendlies it says the players need match practice and if i play to many they get knackered.

does it have an effect on the players performance if they are played when they 'need match practice'?

the thing i find annoyin is that if i dont play enough friendlies it says the players need match practice and if i play to many they get knackered.

does it have an effect on the players performance if they are played when they 'need match practice'?

it effects their condition mostly... they will tire much quicker... go through pre season with full strength and aerobic training, nothing else trainingwise.

Archived