Difficulty settings

In my opinion there should be two difficulty settings in next FM because nowadays game takes too much time to set all right. In example me I am on college whole day and when I come home I simply do not have time to thinker every single game and tweaking tactics two or three times in the match which I only can get right when I watch the match on full with slow speed.

I agree that there are people who like it but because of it there would be different difficulty settings.

Also I do not think this would be too hard to do.

It could be solved by two different Match Engines or have one and make your players preform better (passing more accurately, tackling better etc.).

On "easy" it would feel more like old FM/CMs and on "hard" it would be like it is now.

I am looking forward to your suggestions.

P.S. Sorry for the bad English as I am not an English speaker

Also off topic I think there should be a whole lot more feedback on what is happening on the pitch in example that the opposition is drawing your MCs too much or you are playing too wide, closing down too much, getting beat on the flanks, Amc standing too far from MCs , your players standing too far away from opposition players etc.

Also I do not think this would be too hard to do.

It could be solved by two different Match Engines or have one and make your players preform better (passing more accurately, tackling better etc.).

You think it would EASY to programme two different match engines?

It's taken them this long to get it going this well. I know there are a few pedants out there who seem to enjoy picking fault with the M.E. but for me it's the best match engine of the series.

I don't mean to jump on you for this but it's been discussed at length for a couple of years. A lot of people think it's as simple as having a few additional tick-boxes and the programmers can have a slider that sets the difficulty level. But, and I'm sure a more savvy programmer can confirm this, when you change just one single thing in the match engine it has a knock on effect to a lot of other things.

I understand why some people will say this, but for me the difficulty level can be adjusted by signing on to different teams. English leagues EG:

Want to spend loads and win everything? Log on as Chelsea or Man City.

Want to play from league 1 to the Champions League quite easily? Be Leeds (they have a great setup already so although it's not exactly easy, i'm sure it's easier with Leeds than, say, Northampton).

Want to revive a sleeping giant and be adored by fans? Be Newcastle.

Enjoy a challenge under huge pressure? Be Hull.

Want a realistic and super difficult challenge? Start unemployed as a sunday league footballer.

It's all relative.

We've discussed this a number of times.

The "realistic camp" will argue that

1. Difficulty settings are unrealistic, and

2. Implementing difficulty settings would require too much engineering and QA time, distracting SI from more important features.

The "difficulty settings camp" argues your point, much as you did.

SI themselves have said "Look, if you prefer that old-school quick-play

1. Those old games are still out there and nothing is stopping you playing them

2. There are even modern data updates for most of the popular versions

3. You can also buy the PSP version, which plays much like the older versions did.

The "future of the genre camp" argues that the game needs to be easier to pick up for new players, especially pre-teens and teenagers, and also for U.S.-based gamers who may be new to the Beautiful Game. "What's a through ball, again?"

1. The Advisor module in FM'08 was designed to help the new-to-the-series player, and

2. Assistant Manager feedback in FM'09 was designed to help players of all levels without "giving too much away".

Hope that encapsulates the debate - you certainly aren't alone in your feelings, but SI have not given any indication that they are inclined to consider Difficulty Settings.

I appreciate your opinion but I am not saying that it should be implemented in next FM for example why do not have two different people making two match engines one for easy settings one for hard settings.

Also the implementation of 3D was a tough task but we are on good track to have good 3D view in 2 or 3 years (I think this one is decent and nothing more than that).

The problem with previous versions is that those do not have features like new editions have like 3D, best positions, PPMs showed, press conferences...

Best positions - were in in FM'05, but you had no way to view them. Were in in FM'08 but required much more effort to view. In FM'09, they are much easier to see.

PPMs - were in in FM'05, but you had no way to view them or influence them. Were in in FM'08 but required significant effort to view, and required tutoring to influence them. In FM'09, they are much easier to deal with.

Press conferences - new feature, yes, but you can always answer one question and then leave .. or let your A.M. handle them.

3D - new graphical representation of the same match engine we've always had. You can still view it in 2D .. heck, you can still play in text-only mode!

The amount of time you invest in an individual game is a choice. In some save-games, I get massively hands-on, setting up fifty-odd training schedules, twenty-odd saved tactics, Extended Highlights, controlling my scouting, my Reserve team, my U-18 team, answering every orange-dot message, playing media mind games ..

It takes me forever to get through a season!

.. but I've also had reasonable success managing just the senior club, with five saved tactics, Key Highlights, and about ten training schedules (pre-season, 1 for each position, 1 general for 'winter') .. letting my subordinates handle scouting, Reserves, U-18s, etc, ignoring the orange-dot messages, media, etc.

So, I understand that its a choice, not a forced behavior, when I get totally hands-on.

Archived