Strange Managerial Decisions

What is your biggest regret in FM? Has anyone commited and Avram Grant-esque error in a cup final and been left red faced?

my biggest regret was playing my reserve right back in the CL semi final because Lahm only had 91% fitness. He scored an own goal from 30 yards and got sent off after 53 mins. icon_mad.gif

What is your biggest regret in FM? Has anyone commited and Avram Grant-esque error in a cup final and been left red faced?

my biggest regret was playing my reserve right back in the CL semi final because Lahm only had 91% fitness. He scored an own goal from 30 yards and got sent off after 53 mins. icon_mad.gif

I was having a tough season once and my strikers were underperforming. In paticular, my 'Star Player'.

He scored 2 goals in the first 10 games and i thought, 'I will give him the benefit of the doubt and will keep playing him'.

20 games later and a further 3 goals i sold him for about 10% of what i brought him for.

No wonder i got relegated. icon_frown.gif

I regret turning up at all for my Monterrey team's clash away to league leaders America (Mex).

We'd been struggling for wins (and goals from our forwards) all season, but had been grinding out some decent draws and a last gasp win the build up to that game so I was very contented to be 0-0 approaching half time. Then one of our DCs scored an own goal. Oh well, 1-0 down at half time and the same centre-back scored at the other end at the start of the second half to make it 1-1 which it stayed until after the hour mark.

Then step forward our DMC. He has performed well this season in general, but this was not his finest hour (or finest 3 minutes infact) as he contrived to put through his own net twice in the space of 3 minutes...obvioiusly a classy kinda guy. 3 own goals is exactly what I was looking for from my team in their toughest match of the season icon_rolleyes.gif America eventually netted a 4th so at least they didn't have the minor embarrassment of winning 3-1 without scoring any of the goals icon_razz.gif

Won the League Cup with Newcastle, knocking league leaders Man Utd out in the Semis and beating a good Villa team in the final.

Next game after the Cup win was 3 days time at home to United. I would usually play a more defensive minded side against the big four(including the semi-final of the league cup), but the form had been so good and morale 'superb' for the entire squad after the cup win I decided to have a real go with my usual attacking ways only to lose 6-2 and slip out of the top four!!! I threw many items at my bedroom wall icon_wink.gif

I have these kind of games at least once every season. In fact just about 5 games ago I had a home match vs Portsmouth (I'm Arsenal). We were down 0-3 after just the first 15 minutes and this is all happening during my huge run of 17 wins in a row in EPL. We managed to pull one goal back around 80 min mark. During the entire game I probably cycled through all my tactic variations. We created chance after chance but the goal might as well be 50 meters wide and we'd still miss it. Just one of those games, but it certainly felt like crap.

Archived